Local tasty treats in Grand Cayman - especially for kids.

ajcolorado

My kids always love to be turned loose with a little cash in a local grocery store. Are there any treats - candy, soda, unusual fruits, local favorites - that we should look for in Grand Cayman? We also open to trying local experiences like you do when you get a shaved ice in Hawaii or that pressed sugar cane juice in Puerto Rico. We're renting a car and going to Rum Point so we'd love suggestions for little markets or fruit stands we should try along the way. Feel free to mention any treats you've found in Montego Bay & Cozumel too - those are our other ports of call.

Thank you.

On your way to Run Point, stop at the Blowholes...good picture opp and the kids will enjoy seeing the water spout up. There was supposed to be a coconut stand across the street, but we never seemed to see anyone there. Not sure what it's like since the hurricanes as we were there in 2002. There used to be signs there and a place to pull off the road and there are steps to get down to the rocky ledges where the blowholes are. The only special treat I can think of that Grand Cayman is "known" for is the rum cakes. Hope this helps.

There's a Hurley's grocery store (on the way to Rum Point-I think the buildings are yellow-in the complex-it's next to a big roundy-round). We stopped at a Kirk's grocery store (along 7MB) and picked up some cookies. I thought they were ordinary chocolate chip cookies, but they had a chocolate truffle in the center. They were awesome!

I also found some cookies made in a local bakery there called Bulla. A day or so later, the local paper ran a story about them. They originated in Jamaica and they are a gingerbread-type cookie, but really soft. I found the Bulla at Foster's (at the Strand-off 7MB). Foster's seemed to have the largest selection of local baked goods, although I didn't really look around too much. But I do think I found the Bulla off on the other side of the store, in the drug side, they had a "local" section. There were two entrances to the store...the front grocery part, where the baked goods were right there. Down the front of the store, it connects with another store, a drug store, and they also have a door. I do remember the fruit being really good and fresh.

The time we drove by the blowholes, they weren't blowing much. In fact, it took us a couple of times to even figure out where they were. The stand across the street that sold drinks, was pretty much destroyed by the hurricane.

We loved exploring the island. I don't think there's a street that we didn't drive on while we were there. Our favorite part of the island was Boddentown and the East End.

Archived