Shoes for European Cruise

I Luv Crusin

I wore my black casual boots or my dark blue athletic looking shoes (not leather, but suede) most of the time when I was in Europe. I also had my black dress boots with me but I only wore them when we went to the Symphony and another concert (plus to fly since they were the bulkiest shoes). I didn't go on a cruise but those were comfortable for walking around on cobblestones.

It's true that the good ole American Track Shoe will make you look like what you are, a tourist. On one hand, so what? You ARE a tourist! On the other it's nice to fit in every now and then. You are going to have to go out and try on shoes. You want the comfort to walk AND good looks. That will take some hunting.

I suggest looking online at Travelsmith (travelsmith.com) they specialize in travel clothing, shoes too, that is comfortable and fits into many different cultures. In your town you are just going to have to hunt if TS does not have something for you.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good and fit in! Nothing at all.

My wife and I have cruised in Europe each of the past few years, including both the destinations you mentioned. She brought both walking shoes and athletic shoes with her (I did the same) and both worked fine. I would say that we saw more athletic shoes in Rome than we did in London and I think one of the factors involves the types of tours that you take. If you have the space, I would take both and you can vary that as you see fit. On days where we did lots of walking in Rome and the tours involved places both outside and inside (eg. the Colliseum) the athletic shoes worked best and on days that we visiited locations primarily inside the walking shoes worked well. But, both are perfectly fine. And if you don't wan to stick out then rather than wearing athletic shoes that are primarily white bring a pair that is off white or has some combination of other colors.

Both locations that you will be in (Rome and London) are wonderful. Have a great time.

Keith

I wondered about our typical white athletic shoes in Europe...much discussion on boards about standing out as tourist. When we were there - most people in most areas wore casual clothes, including jeans and many wore white athletic shoes. No one pointed them out or treated them differently. I wore black athletic shoes - one of the newer styles, jeans sometimes, black chino type slacks most days and took a light fleece jacket to deal with possibly cool weather in Oct and early Nov but without the bulk....all worked well and I found that even in Venice, Rome, Florence and Barcelona, people tended to look like at home...some sloppier than others, some high style, most middle of the road. Relax and enjoy the trip!

I figure I don't wear white athletic shoes at home unless I'm actually at the gym exercising, so I'm not going to wear them on vacation (anywhere) unless I'm actually in the gym exercising. Wear shoes that are comfortable to you for walking; just make sure to break them in first! I broke my own golden rule at a trade show last week and still have a blister on my heel from my new Merrells.....Shoes are broken in and comfy after two days but the blister from day one is lingering.....

Archived