Sun - Just got back :)

loriandjason

I concur with Lori's review of the cruise. I was surprised and impressed by NCL, and I enjoyed the freestyle cruising, both dining and attire. We did not visit any of the specialty restaurants. We were very satisfied with the food and the service in the two main dining rooms, and we found both dining rooms to be more spacious than on any other ship we've been on. Buffet food was good but lacked variety. Soup, beverages and anything else that was supposed to be hot was very hot. Entertainment ranged from excellent to average. Stewards, waiters and all other service personnel on the ship were friendly and hard-working, but there just didn't seem to be enough of them to go around. Buffet tables went uncleaned for a long time. It looks like NCL is trying to get by with as few servers as possible and get each one to do the work of two or three. We had an outside cabin, very adequate, lots of storage. We asked to have the beds put together and that's exactly what we got--no extra pad to bridge the gap between the mattresses! Overall, I'd give NCL a B. Better than Carnival but a step shy of RCL, Princess and Celebrity.

The announced reason for skipping Great Stirrup Cay and going to Nassau was that the ship had participated in a rescue of a sailboat in the middle of the night and didn't have time to get to GSC. A few hours in Nassau was fine. We took a NCL excursion in Tortola, going to Virgin Gorda for snorkeling. Definitely worthwhile. We shopped in St Thomas. The ship docked at Crown Harbor, which has no shopping right now but it looks like it's going to get a shopping mall soon, just like the Havensight Mall near the other docks in Charlotte Amalie. Signs said the stores would open this year, and it looks like they're close to ready. In the DR we bargained for a van for the day for a group of 10 and went to the beach at Las Galeras, about 40 minutes from Samana. Very primitive but beautiful along the way and at the beach. Samana hasn't seen enough cruise ships yet to develop all the stores and services available at other ports, but give them a year or two and they may be more user-friendly.

Tmeister, can I ask how much you paid for the van? We will have a group of 7. We would like to go to the beach but we don't like doing ship excursions. From the other posts I read there wasn't an opportunity to go to a beach as another ship was using it the week you went. I would love to get any information you might remember. Thank you.

Arenee, the 10 of us bargained for the van and driver for $120 for about 5 hours. (When we started out we only had 4 people, and another driver said he wanted $20 an hour per person!!! It pays to shop around!) By most Caribbean island standards, that is still high, but $12 a person was worth it to get to the beach. We heard stories of people who were charged $20 a person just to drive around Samana, which was about 10-15 minutes' walk from the dock. When we returned to the dock and paid the agreed-on fare, our "tour guide" said we owed him a tip, since he was not included in the fare. We gave him about $25 and he didn't complain.

The beach we went to was at Las Galeras, about 40 minutes from the dock at Samana. It's the closest beach to Samana. Others were at least an hour away. I understand from some research that Cayo Levantado is beautiful, but tends to get overrun, either by cruisers or by other tourists, including local Dominicans. Private ferries to Cayo Levantado charge about $30 one way per person. I wouldn't hesitate to go to Las Galeras again, as long as all you want is to relax on a beautiful beach. Don't expect lounge chairs, waverunners or any other amenities, because there aren't any. Just a few food and beverage stands and some small shops in the village selling local primitive artwork.

Ok all you cruisers! I need to know- will I be out of place wearing capri pants and sandels to dinner? Resort casuals to me means capris would be acceptable but I'm hearing ladies should wear pants/sundresses. (I'm not interested in formal night) Really looking forward to just relaxing and not having to worry about what to wear. :)

Other than formal optional nights, if I couldn't wear capris I would come in my birthday suit to dinner and that would be a real laughable site. All I have are capris and I don't bring 20 pair of shoes, so sandles would have to do. Yes, be comfortable, that is part of freestyle. As for the 2 formal optional nights, you can wear pretty much what you want but we do dress a little nicer: formal dress no, but a sundresses for the ladies and shirt and tie for Hubby. NMnita

Archived