Just back from the Glory

R&K in NC

Just got back late last night from our Eastern trip on the Glory. We had a great time. All the problems from the previous reviews seemed to be worked out. I will post a review later today. I still have my sea legs so I am having a hard time typing this morning since the computer screen seems to be rocking.

Our Travel Agent and multiple members of his family left yesterday on Glory and are supposed to give us an indepth review when they get back. We'll be on the Eastern Itinerary in Nov, already booked cat 11. I'll be waiting for your review. We've only been on Fantasy so I'm curious about the larger newer ships and what sounds like a positive review.

BTW, good thing you didnt' have farther north to travel. We're in the DC area with 10 inches of snow and closed airports/cancelled flights up and down the east coast.

Can't wait for your review , we leave March 4th on Eastern voyage.

:)

So do we ! I also am anxious for the review. I'm especially interested in the menus. We want to book the steak house restaurant for one night, but all the menus I've been able to find were for the western itinerary, and I'm not sure if they are the same. I think the formal nights are different on the east and west. Hope to find out soon !

Another fellow carolinian :D Looking forward to your review. Are you gonna post any pics? Haven't seen any new ones lately. Did you have any seasick spells on the ship or were you taking meds? I had heard to continue taking a couple of days after the cruise to help.

Here goes my review. I will probably do this in sections since I am not certain how long it will be and I hope it is not very boring.

We were leaving on Thursday morning to go to Port Canaveral since I lived in the area for several years before moving to NC.

We left at 5:30 am Thursday to miss rush hour traffic in Charlotte and were on our way. The drive was perfect and it took us 10 hours including stops to arrive in Port Canaveral. Since we were going with friends, we decided to rent a two-bedroom condo type room at the Resort of Cocoa Beach. It was wonderful. It worked out perfect and it was much cheaper than staying at the hotels since we split the cost.

On Friday afternoon it started to rain and rain and rain. This was not a problem since we had planned on visiting friends. We woke to see our ship from the room on Saturday and then it disappeared before our eyes. Apparently the rain was back again. :eek: We loaded the car and headed to breakfast then the pier. We arrived around 11:00 and was processed and on the boat by around 12:15. All of the lines were short. The delay came when we had to stand in the last line to get on the ship. We were in line about 11:20 and the line did not start moving to get on till 11:50. By the time we were on the ship, it had stopped raining but was a little chilly. Right away went to the 6th floor and asked the gentlemen if we could just go drop our carryon and he said that would be fine. Our room was actually ready but we did not stay since we did not want to get in our steward’s way if there was anything last minute. We just toured the ship.

Sometime around 3:00 we went down to our room and we met our room steward. He did not seem like a friendly sort of guy at first. He just stated that he wanted to introduce himself and we need to sign some sheet saying that he had met us. Later in the evening we seen him and he seemed a lot more talkative. He was probably tired since it seemed like he was always cleaning somewhere. His name was McDonald and he had been with Carnival for a number of years but new to the ship. He was great. After the first night, we had noticed that the light beside the bed did not work or the one at the mirror on the desk. We asked the next morning if he could have someone to look into it since the only light working was the one beside the door and the bathroom and it was fixed by lunch when we had gone back to the room. He always had the ice bucket filled and we received towel animals every night after the first night. :D

Our luggage was delivered well before dinner so the gentlemen had no excuse for not dressing for dinner. We met two different people on the first night that was the assistant waiter. I was a little confused but only one stayed with us the entire week. On the first night they seemed sort of scattered. I thought this is what the previous reviews were talking about when they said that the crew did not seem to have a system in place yet. Dinner went well except for the bar girl did not bring my soda until my dinner was finished. I thought maybe this was because I had a soda card but as the week went on I noticed that even when our table ordered a glass of wine she would get there midway through the meal. We informed that we would not be dining on Sunday due to the Superbowl. Claudette, the assistant waiter told us we would have to explain the superbowl when we come back on Monday since she was more familiar with soccer being from Brazil. (We later found out that she had only been working on the ship since drydock and this was her first time at it.) She was great. She would actually hunt down the bar girl to bring me my soda when she would see that I had not received it during the main course.

BND, I was nervous also about the larger ship since both cruises I had been on was a small ship but I never felt crowded. I often would ask myself were 3,000 people were on this ship. I had sailed the Jubilee and the Nordic Empress.

PMC7704, we did not eat in the steak house (emerald supper club) so I can not be much help there. Our formal was on Monday instead of Sunday because of the Superbowl. The second formal was on Thursday.

Gypsyrose, I just looked through my digital pictures and I did not seem to have any pictures of the ship but I do know that DH recorded several areas of the ship so I will pull a few still shots from those. Also, I took Bonine the day before getting on the ship and continued to take while on the ship. I also took one today to see if it will help while on land. The motion on the ship was not that bad and I had one of the L-shaped room near the aft.

I ate in the Emerald Supper Club on our 1/28 sailing on the Glory and it was FABULOUS!!! I have posted a LONG review thread here and I will post a shorter, condensed version soon but if you want you can go to the following thread and search down for my post on TUESDAY, BELIZE as this was when we ate in the Emerald Room.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=293189

GypsyRose - since I have been snowed in here (yup...about 2 feet of snow today) I spent the day working on downloading my pics and will be posting a thread pretty any day now with my photo link!

Just got back late last night from our Eastern trip on the Glory. We had a great time. All the problems from the previous reviews seemed to be worked out. I will post a review later today. I still have my sea legs so I am having a hard time typing this morning since the computer screen seems to be rocking.

Hi neighbor,

We are in Winston Salem, how about you? We will be on the Glory on the Western in May. Coz has been changed to Costa Maya and I'm glad. We've been to Coz a couple of times and wouldn't want to see it again until things are more back to 'normal'. :( Also haven't been to CM before.

Counting the days.......

Luv's Cruisin'

:D

Sorry to take so long. I will get this finished today since we have a snow day at work today.

Sunday:

We were in the Bahamas. I thought it was a little chilly and wore pants and took a jacket (Of course I am cold natured). The said that when Florida gets hit with a cold front it usually effects them also. We just took a cab to Atlantis and did the tour there. We then went to Senor Frogs. This was a disappointment. It was nothing like the one in Cozumel. The stay here was short so we were on the ship by 1:00. This is when I realized that there was really 3000 people on the ship. We had to wait in a long line for lunch and then could not find anywhere to sit. We ended up finding a table after about 3 rounds through the whole lido deck which we needed to clear ourselves. The other problem tended to be that people would not leave after eating and would read or just hang at there table in the eating areas. This was the only real day that I saw this but it was a little aggrevating if you wanted to have a table to eat.

We went to a few activities and then we went to the Superbowl party. It was okay but nothing like RCCL. They really just set aside two lounges (one for smoking and one for non-smokers). The food was okay. We did not have a team playing so we left after the third quarter.

Monday:

A day at sea. We were told that we were a little behind schedule due to an SOS at sea that we needed to respond to. They said the individuals were rescued and that the boat sunk.

Tuesday:

I had dreaded this stop because of the immigration issues but they went very smooth. We had a private tour booked with Godfrey. The weather was rain then sun then rain then sun. We skipped the beach and went shopping instead.

Wednesday:

St Marteen was great. We did the 4x4 expedition through Carnival. Then we were dropped off downtown to shop for several hours after the tour. The day started with a downpour but by the time we were at the jeeps it had stopped and was sunny the rest of the day.

Thursday and Friday:

Sea days. Thursday weather was typical rain then sun for a couple hours then rain a few minutes then sun again. Friday was a little chilly and overcast. (I can't believe that I had forgot to request warm weather with this cruise when booking)

Saturday:

We arrived in port sometime after 6:00. We had decided to do self-disembark. It was not worth it. By the time we were called off and got to the car it was 9:00. I thought they called all people with early flights and the self-disembark before call people that left luggage outside the door but this was not the case. As your luggage come off, they called your tag. So some people who did disembark would have gotten off at the same time as the people that had to get luggage. I just felt it was better off if we had did it the old fashion way instead of dragging our luggage everywhere.

In conclusion: We had a great time. The weather wasn't perfect but we were on vacation. The seas could have been worse. I would definitely sail the Glory again. As a matter of fact we are doing a western next January and thinking about either Glory or Liberty. The staff was great. We left extra tips for everyone since I thought that they exceeded my expectations. The ship was large but I liked that. I have to say even though we knew you could not get through floors 3 & 4, it never failed that we tried. The one complaint was the menu on the funvision was incorrect every night. I don't think that they updated it with the new menu. One night I thought that I would get to try the famous flourless chocolate cake since it was on the menu but when we got to the dining room it was not on the menu. Also, we ate in the golden dining room.

I hope that I did not bore you to much. I tried to get information that I thought may have helped me before I left. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I will try to answer.

I am from North Carolina. I am booked on the Glory April 15th. This is my first cruise with Carnival. I have cruised on NCL and Disney before. What were the pros and cons of your cruise. I am booked on the upper deck in the 6300 range of balcony cabins. Has anyone stayed in this area? I would like any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

We were in Cabin 6442. We were directly over the stage in the ebony lounge. We could hear the music at night. It was not bad enough to keep us awake when we did go to the room before 12:00. Our friends had the room 6450 and could not hear the music at all. Most nights we were gone past midnight. I would look to see what is below your room.

Thanks for the review. I have worried about navigating the ship. Did you eventually get the hang of it or were you still lost on the last day? I am afraid I will be wandering for hours and miss everything :o

We did get the hang of it but still managed to try to walk through the 4th floor to the picture area. We just had to remember to go to the main elevators at the atrium area and go down there if we wanted pictures, the golden dining room or the lower level of the amber place (where shows are held). We were at the back of the boat so we kept going to the first elevator and going down and then would realize our mistake, then go up again then walk down to the main elevators then go down again. I think this is why we did not gain weight since we used the stair most of the time.

We were in Cabin 6442. We were directly over the stage in the ebony lounge. We could hear the music at night. It was not bad enough to keep us awake when we did go to the room before 12:00. Our friends had the room 6450 and could not hear the music at all. Most nights we were gone past midnight. I would look to see what is below your room.

Oh boy...we are in room 6473 starboard..directly opposite 6442..wonder how much noise we will encounter...DH is deaf...well not really, but he does suffer a big hearing loss in one ear so it won't affect him, he'll just turn over and put his good ear to the pillow, but I on the other hand can hear water dripping from the downstairs bathroom when I'm in bed upstairs..LOL...should I plan on packing ear plugs?? How did you like the balcony? This will be the first time for us for the L shaped cabin..looks neat at least...Which way did you face in ports?

THanks for any info you can give..we sail in 33 days and can't wait..

Oh boy...we are in room 6473 starboard..directly opposite 6442..wonder how much noise we will encounter...DH is deaf...well not really, but he does suffer a big hearing loss in one ear so it won't affect him, he'll just turn over and put his good ear to the pillow, but I on the other hand can hear water dripping from the downstairs bathroom when I'm in bed upstairs..LOL...should I plan on packing ear plugs?? How did you like the balcony? This will be the first time for us for the L shaped cabin..looks neat at least...Which way did you face in ports?

THanks for any info you can give..we sail in 33 days and can't wait..

Our friends were in 6450 and said they never heard the music. I think we heard more noise because we were directly over the stage. I was even able to sleep the one night that I was back early because of sickness. They would play about 30 minutes then take a 20 minute break. You could tell the breaks even though the played disc music because you could not hear the disc music in our room. (I know that they played disc music because we went to the lounge several times) Decided to go there often since we could hear them anyway.

We were always on the opposite side of the ports. We loved the L shaped cabin. It seemed very large. I would not hesitate booking another one but on the opposite side of the ship. The balcony was very nice. They had one chair that would lean back and I would prop my feet on the table and relax. The other chair was just a regular type chair. I tried to get my husband to help me take a lounge chair from the deck (we would return at the end of the cruise) but he said we probably could not get it around the door area and then we would have to lift over the balcony railing so he would not help. (Party pooper)

We are going to try and get these next year when we take my parents except opposite side of the ship.

If you were in 6442 that meant you were on the portside, correct? We are starboard so maybe we will have a good view from our balcony of the ports. I was hoping we would be able to stay on our balcony when we come into port or sail away.

You totally confused me talking about going down the elevator than back up and walking down to the main elevator.....What is all this????? Do they not have a sign at the elevators. I am gonna be totally lost. :(

If you were in 6442 that meant you were on the portside, correct? We are starboard so maybe we will have a good view from our balcony of the ports. I was hoping we would be able to stay on our balcony when we come into port or sail away.

You totally confused me talking about going down the elevator than back up and walking down to the main elevator.....What is all this????? Do they not have a sign at the elevators. I am gonna be totally lost. :(

I am not certain the currect terms but I think you are correct. You should be able to stay on your room balcony for sail away.

Since we were in the aft section, there was a elevator/stairs closeby to get to the lido and platinum dining room. The problem was that we would get in a habit of using the stair at the aft and on decks 3 & 4 you can not walk from one end of the ship to the other. Since we dined in the the golden dining room, we would have to either walk further down the hall to take the atruim elevators/stairs to access anything on deck 3 & 4 that was toward the front of the ship. This included the Amber Palace. We would sometimes forget and head down to deck 3 or 4 before we remembered that we could not go to the front of the ship this way. We would either go to deck 5 or deck 2 and walk to the front and then down the elevators. I hope that I did not confuse you more by trying to explain.

If you look on the floor plans for deck 3, you will see that the galley takes up the whole center section of deck 3.

Hope that helps.

Hi everyone!

Checking the message boards because we leave on the Glory (eastern) in 32 days YIPEE!!!!

R&K in NC just wondering what time you got to St. Thomas and what time you got off the boat. I heard immigration takes FOREVER!

We want to go over to St. John if we can get the 12 ferry. St. Thomas is an hour ahead so it would be 11 our time.

Any help or insight is appreciated!!

Archived