Onboard Credit

MAGSMFC

Can anyone please tell me if you receive your onboard credit is in pounds or dollars as when we made our booking it was shown in dollars on the invoice we received from our travel agent.  When I go onto Oceania and register our booking it is showing onboard credit in pounds.

Many thanks

5 minutes ago, MAGSMFC said:

Can anyone please tell me if you receive your onboard credit is in pounds or dollars as when we made our booking it was shown in dollars on the invoice we received from our travel agent.  When I go onto Oceania and register our booking it is showing onboard credit in pounds.

Many thanks

That’s only a problem if the numbers are the same in both locations (I.e. $ and £).

That said, what matters most (in terms of Oceania’s O Life and/or O Club SBC) is what is listed on the official Oceania invoice (not a TA invoice). There, you’ll see “US$“ in front of SBC numbers. Also, once onboard, know that all accounting is in US ($) dollars.

9 hours ago, MAGSMFC said:

Many thanks

We are in Australia - on our invoices etc it shows our OBC as AUD.  If we wish to pre-purchase something such as an expensive OE excursion it is priced on our (Australian) Oceania website in AUD so we spend it as AUDs.

Our physical Oceania invoice shows it as both USD and AUD.

So for example - I have $286 AUD complimentary credit which was originally $200 USD.  If I spend it pre-cruise I am charged in AUD.  If I don't it travels with us as the $200 USD

I seemed to go around in circles a bit there!  Sorry, but I hope it helps explain it anyway

Thanks HilsTas for explaining how it works with O - that makes sense. Pre-cruise O charges in AUD, same as they do for CAD, so OBC is in the "foreign" currency . But on board ship O charges everything in USD so back to the original US$200.

I was not sure how they handled it for AUD as I know some lines charge differently for those in Australia (i.e. gratuities are not additional.) I know that some C/Ls who have the initial same selling method that the country of origin determines the currency of the original purchase, as soon as any OBC is used pre-cruise the rate is "locked in" and the OBC is converted to USD at their current rate. So after that point all purchases, pre-cruise too are in USD. Seems it is not that way on O. Only makes a difference is there is a big swing in the C/L exchange rate but on a typical amount of OBC would not make much of a difference either way. O's CAD exchange rate seems to be not very beneficial to the pax right now and does raise the price even higher.

Win some / lose some but going on a cruise is winning all around. We don't have an O cruise booked right now and it is killing me. 

• Like 1