Sun Pay Restaurants (NCL calls them Specialty)

Michaelw5

Did anyone happen to try the pay restaurants on the Sun? My wife and I are going on April 8th and look foward to trying some new eateries. I know from the last couple of crusies that the food is far better in the pay restaurants. I guess you get what you pay for.............

What were the prices? and did you book early?

Mike

Did anyone happen to try the pay restaurants on the Sun? My wife and I are going on April 8th and look foward to trying some new eateries. I know from the last couple of crusies that the food is far better in the pay restaurants. I guess you get what you pay for.............

What were the prices? and did you book early?

Mike

Michael, you will get all kinds of answers I am sure. Yes, the food is better, but many cruisers aren't quite satisfied with dining in the main dining rooms only. Here is my take, it I were to only eat in one specialty restaurant I would choose Le Bistro. NCL was the first line to offer alternative dining; this was back in the early to mid 90s and Le Bistro was the first attempt at the same. All of the choices are wonderful; my dd and I never ate at the same restuarant twice for dinner when we cruised the Sun. Pacific Heights is an alternative dining eatery with no additional charge; it is healthy fare or lower in fat and sodium. Of course the food isn't quite as tasty as others but we enjoyed it for a change. We also were able to make an entire meal on the tapas one night. We didn't realize how full we were until we decided just to grab a bite at the buffet. We couldn't eat anything as the tapas had done the trick. As for prices, they do keep changing. I think the last time I checked it was $12.50 at Le Bistro unless you choose surf and turf. The habachi table starts at about the same and goes up to $20 or so. Hope this helps a little. NMnita

Thanks. We will probably try all of them atleast once and maybee if they ahve a steak house a couple of time. I ussually do not eat in the main dining room anymore. I think it is much easier to get my food right when the cook it after I order it. Not buffett style then serve it to me.

A couple of the names sounded familier. Are any of these restaurants on the Spirit?

Mike

My husband and I (62 and 55) enjoy the main dining room. We have never had a bad meal in the main dining room. Cagney's is a nice eatery. We had surf and turn and a bottle of wine (shocking, cuz we don't drink). We had a grand time in Cagney's. I think we paid $50 plus a tip. I don't recall. We are sailing again in October (gosh that's a long way off) and will most certainly eat at Cagney's for my 56th birthday.

We have eaten in the buffet as well, and enjoy our selections. I've heard great things about Le Bistro, so we'll probably try that place too.

There's such a daily variety in the main dining rooms that I never felt the desire to eat elsewhere and pay additional $$, but it was nice to try.

Wife and I on 3 night cruise in January. Ate at East Meets West (haven't change name to Cagney's yet) on first night at 1/2 price ($20 each discounted to $10 each), LeBistro on 2nd night ($15 each), and IlAdaggio on 3rd night ($12.50 each). Food MAY be better than regular restaurants, but service and atmosphere much better. In the past we were very happy with the food in the regular restaurants but service was slow or lacking at times.

The above posters are correct - LeBistro is great, IlAdeliggo and East Meets West are beyond wonderful. Also the japanese grill where you sit there and they cook at the table - that was outstanding.....try them all. You won't be disappointed.

I returned from the Sun on 2/11. First, they have a deal that if you book four nights in the specialty restaurants, the fifth is free. Second, the first day at sea is half price. You could do six for the price of four and a half. The steak house was by far the best meal and the most romantic. Le Bistro was ok, but the food wasn't that special. We ate there twice. Don't order the vegetable entree. It really wasn't good. The fondue that every raves about wasn't anything special. It is just fruit and warm chocolate. If I had known, I would have booked the steak house twice. The light cooking place is nice because it is small and the service is excellent. The main dining rooms have average food and good service. We never had to wait to be seated. I always ask if a window was available and was always seated there.

I will try them all. I can not wait. I went on CCL on NOV and they did not have any specialty restaruants. I was so mad. I called my travel agent to complain.

Thank you for the advice. I look foward to to trying it for my self.

Mike:rolleyes: :D :p

Main dining room- average food/ french menu.... poor # of choices. If you want steak or lobster, forget about it!

Specialty restaurants- Le Bistro- wife got food poisining on the fish, my filet was subpar at best. Il Diagio was also disappointing... 2 beef medallions for $15! Wasn't very good either. Sushi was acceptable...nothing to write home about. East Meets West- ran out of lobster- we walked out in protest. Not going to pay $20 each for steak when my wife is only 120 lbs... and couldn't eat $10 worth. It should be for FREE in the main restaurant anyway!

Bottom line, if your stuck with the SUN- demand the food you want- and if you don't get it- complain! Good luck with that.... because they didn't care about my wife's food poisoning!!!! The manager said, oh well, it just happens sometimes!

If you can, find another cruise!!!!! If not, hope your experience is better than mine.

NCL SUN FEB 2006

I know this is an open forum, but it's becoming clear to me that Derek and Laura didn't have a great cruise experience.:( I like to suggest they put a review together and share their experiences rather than hit every post that has anything to do with the Sun with the negative comments.;)

I know this is an open forum, but it's becoming clear to me that Derek and Laura didn't have a great cruise experience.:( I like to suggest they put a review together and share their experiences rather than hit every post that has anything to do with the Sun with the negative comments.;)

I couldn't agree more. ;) Once is enough, and in the appropriate place, not on every upcoming rollcall, etc. :rolleyes:

I like my steaks and do find it very hard to find a good restaurant to cook the steaks the way I like it well done (No red or pick)

But while on the Sun we tried East Meets West...Let me tell you, the cooked the steaks to perfection! We ended up eating there most of the time. I tried the other speciality restaurants which were okay..but my vote was East meets West ;)

Msybee they had a bad time, but I do think we should listen to why. I personally think crusiing has gone down hill over the years. Now you have to pay for every little thing. Drinks that used to cost $2.25 in 1998 now cost $7.00.

If there main complaint is food. The I totally I agree. The food in the main dining room is turned into cheapest form known to man! they specialty restarants are good, but you pay for them. As a another cc said......walmarting of America. That is why I do not shop at Wal-mart.:confused:

Main dining room- average food/ french menu.... poor # of choices. If you want steak or lobster, forget about it!

Specialty restaurants- Le Bistro- wife got food poisining on the fish, my filet was subpar at best. Il Diagio was also disappointing... 2 beef medallions for $15! Wasn't very good either. Sushi was acceptable...nothing to write home about. East Meets West- ran out of lobster- we walked out in protest. Not going to pay $20 each for steak when my wife is only 120 lbs... and couldn't eat $10 worth. It should be for FREE in the main restaurant anyway!

Bottom line, if your stuck with the SUN- demand the food you want- and if you don't get it- complain! Good luck with that.... because they didn't care about my wife's food poisoning!!!! The manager said, oh well, it just happens sometimes!

If you can, find another cruise!!!!! If not, hope your experience is better than mine.

NCL SUN FEB 2006

Ifind it hard to beleive the manager said "oh well, it happens sometimes" you may have decided to take it that way. Did you expect Lobster every night in the main dining room? Like all ships, a 7 day cruise will offer Lobster once. It has always been our experience on all cruises steak or quality roast beef is available almost every night. It seems to me,as I said on one of the other places you posted, you didn't know what to expect from a cruise. If you think another line would be different as far as choices go, you need to save your money and cruise Radisson, Crystal or some other luxury liner. Of course you will pay $4000 per person but you will get the food and service you are expecting. Walking out in protest isn't the way to make a point. Have you thought about cruise ships are cooking for 2000 or more people every night. Most foods will resemble banquet quality: good but not 5 star. NMnita

Msybee they had a bad time, but I do think we should listen to why. I personally think crusiing has gone down hill over the years. Now you have to pay for every little thing. Drinks that used to cost $2.25 in 1998 now cost $7.00.

If there main complaint is food. The I totally I agree. The food in the main dining room is turned into cheapest form known to man! they specialty restarants are good, but you pay for them. As a another cc said......walmarting of America. That is why I do not shop at Wal-mart.:confused:

Michael, much of what you say is true. BTW drinks were not $2.25 in 1998, more like $3.95 - $5.00 but basically you are correct, but the price of cruising has not increased and the cost of everything else, fuel, food, etc has. This explains part of the problem. No, food isn't nearly as good as it was 10 years ago. Walmart quality, not quite, but it certainly isn't 4 or 5 star. NMnita

I personally think crusiing has gone down hill over the years. Now you have to pay for every little thing. Drinks that used to cost $2.25 in 1998 now cost $7.00.
I have to disagree with NMN on one thing: I think that the cost of the cruise itself has gone down pretty significantly between 1998 and now. You can't expect the cruise lines to survive if they slash the price of the cruise itself and yet don't make up the revenu somewhere else. Those $2.25 drinks, whenever they were, came at a price.

I have to disagree with NMN on one thing: I think that the cost of the cruise itself has gone down pretty significantly between 1998 and now. You can't expect the cruise lines to survive if they slash the price of the cruise itself and yet don't make up the revenu somewhere else. Those $2.25 drinks, whenever they were, came at a price.

Hi to you from NewMexico: I too miss the cheap drinks as all of us have talked about; still don't remember $2.25 even 10 years ago and even the daily special, but we do know costs have to be cut somewhere unless the rates go up. Oh why can't we have both? Those martinis and glasses of wine certainly do affect your room bill at the end huh? NMnita

I agree. Price has fallen on cruises. My first crusie in 98 cost about $3,200 for an inside cabin. I just paid $2,500 for a balcony cabin on the Sun and that is with one extra person. My 4 year sold was actually $100 more expensive than my wife and I.

They have a vegas philosophy. Get them on ship and they will spend. Disney has done the same thing with FLA residents when they are slow. Rememebr soda is $5 per serving......They always get you in the end. I would rather see price up and more perks.

remember I said crusing has gone down hill, but I still enjoy the ocean. I just wish some of that mystic would return.;)

I agree. Price has fallen on cruises. My first crusie in 98 cost about $3,200 for an inside cabin. I just paid $2,500 for a balcony cabin on the Sun and that is with one extra person. My 4 year sold was actually $100 more expensive than my wife and I.

They have a vegas philosophy. Get them on ship and they will spend. Disney has done the same thing with FLA residents when they are slow. Rememebr soda is $5 per serving......They always get you in the end. I would rather see price up and more perks.

remember I said crusing has gone down hill, but I still enjoy the ocean. I just wish some of that mystic would return.;)

ok Michael, you agree prices have gone down, you are excited about cruising in April, you have never cruised NCL and yet, some of your responces are pretty negative before you try the product. Can you explain? I am not trying to start anything here, just a bit confused. NMNita

Hi MichaelW5,

My wife and I are also going on the Sun April 8th with two other couples.

This will be our second NCL cruise, first on the Sun.

I have been reading all the postings I can on the Sun, but I would greatly appreciate any other information anyone may think necessary for excursions, tips, "secrets", alcohol, etc.

Soda is NOT $5 per serving aboard NCL ships!

Fountain sodas are $1.25, can sodas are $1.75.

Why exaggerate the amount by 400%?

Electricon is correct - soda is NOT $5. I was on a Sun cruise early this year. The cost of a can of soda was $1.75

Oh and one could get some mixed drinks for about $6 (not the giant fancy ones) but - for example I had a grasshopper for about $6.

Archived