Single occupancy

ClevelandKid

Greetings all,

We have a friend who has expressed an interest in joining the spouse and I on an Alaska cruise.  I want to be able to give her some options - of course finding someone to go with is best, but if not, then how does Viking price out a single occupancy cabin?  Obviously more than the DO per person rate, but do you pay the full DO rate, or is there a percentage that is used to price out a single occupancy?

Thanks!

Edited by ClevelandKid
typo

Hi ClevelandKid;

You’ve hit on my one and only criticism of Viking - 100% single supplement. I am a solo traveler, and to cruise with Viking I have to “buy” the entire stateroom, in other words pay as if I were two people. I do not want to share a cabin with someone I’m not related to, so I have had to find other companies to whom to give my business. 
I have heard that there are occasional specials with Viking, but I’ve yet to find one.

Good luck to you and your friend!

Cynthia 

• Like 1

FWIW, one can sometimes get a 150% single occupancy cost. This was the cash when my DMIL sailed with us on the March 2019 transatlantic. As I recall, this offer was included in a promo email relatively last minute-December for a March embarkation. The same emailed promotion was offering “free” air and a one category upgrade so obviously they were trying to sell out the ship (and succeeded).  However, I seem to recall reading elsewhere on this board that some have been successful by asking for a discounted single supplement. As my Daddy used to say, “if you don’t ask, you don’t git”. LOL

good luck!

• Like 1