Iceland Summer 2022

Fort_Worth

We're contemplating an Icelandic cruise for the summer of 2022. Looking at 4 itineraries.

May 30 10-nt Silver Moon

Jun 24  11-nt Silver Whisper

Aug 10  14-nt  Silver Whisper

Aug 15  12-nt  Silver Cloud

The Silver Moon is obviously a new ship. Its itinerary is a circumnavigation with a side trip out to the Faroe Islands. We like the size of the Silver Moon at roughly 600 passengers.

The Silver Whisper is older and smaller (400 passengers). The Jun 24 departure is from Edinburgh and she stops in the Orkney and Faroe Islands before focusing on the north shore of Iceland. The Aug 10 departure is from Troso and hits the Norwegian Fjordland, Shetland and Faroe Islands, and then 2 stops along the southern coast of Iceland.

Finally, the Aug 15 itinerary for the Silver Cloud, oldest and smallest (300 passengers) ship among these options. It departs Reykjavik and makes 2 stops along th souther coast of Iceland. It then proceeds down the west coast of Scotland and ends up in Dublin.

We've generally sailed on the big Celebrity ships and have done the British Isles a couple of times. In 2018 we did the St Lawrence out of Montreal on the Seabourn Quest (450 passengers) and absolutely loved the small ship experience. My wife and I are mid 60s and reasonable fit. 

I'm looking for feedback from the community as to which ship/itineray might be the best option for us. Initially I was attracted to the 12-nt Silver Cloud itinerary but it's coverage of Iceland is limited. The 10-nt cruise on the Silver Moon would give the most intense exposure to Iceland but is it too much of the same thing? The big attraction on this itinerary would obviously be the new ship. The 14-nt Silver Whisper gives exposure to both Norway and Iceland and size-wise fits in between the Silver Moon and Silver Cloud.

Thank you in advance for and guidance you may offer.    

Edited by Fort_Worth
grammer

If Iceland is your primary interest, absolutely do the Moon itinerary, followed by the Jun 24 Whisper voyage, which does let you see a bit more, and Edinburgh and Reykjavik are both worth additional time visiting. IMHO, two days in Iceland are not close to being enough to "do" Iceland, especially if you like waterfalls, glaciers, hot pools and other great natural scenery. 

Edited by taxatty

We are booked on the Cloud for the Aug 2022 cruise.  It is an expedition ship, so the excursions are a bit different than the other options.  I have been to Iceland and covered the northern part, which I loved, so I am looking forward to the 2 stops on the southern part with the Cloud.  I have also been to the Faroe Islands, which I loved, so any itinerary with them is great IMHO. (We rented a car on the Faroe Islands and really got to see a lot of the different islands, and they have a new tunnel which gives you even easier access.)  Our main interest for this trip is the remote ports in Scotland and ending up in Dublin. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the options you are looking at.

Sue

On 2/11/2021 at 1:15 PM, Fort_Worth said:

Thanks for the feedback. We're booked on the Silver Moon.

You only live once. In the final booking we tacked-on the 12-night Reykjavik to Copenhagen cruise through  Norway. 22-nights in total aboard the beautiful Silver Moon. Hope it happens.

1 hour ago, Fort_Worth said:

You only live once. In the final booking we tacked-on the 12-night Reykjavik to Copenhagen cruise through  Norway. 22-nights in total aboard the beautiful Silver Moon. Hope it happens.

With any luck we will see you there.  We booked the Grand Northern Europe departing Lisbon on May 6, 2022 and ending in Stockholm on June 28.  May all the Gods and Goddesses smile favourably!

The Plas Newydd one M. We've done quite a lot of cruise ship excursion lunches here. Maybe this one will book.  We did look at doing the Southampton Reykjavik leg but the dates don't work for us. My dad was a shipbuilder on the Mersey (it should have been his 77th birthday yesterday) and as kids we went to all of the ship launches and we also watched the 3 queens from 50m from my home. I've always dreamed of sailing out of Liverpool, they do the best sailaways.

• Like 1