Another Couple Back from South America

Cruise Arizona

Another couple from my small town just got back from a Celebrity S. A. crusie and they had nothing but bad things to say.

I haven't had a chance to talk with them indepth, but I live in a small town and got the scoop from another friend that they complained that the crew seemed very unhappy in thier work, and theirfore the service level suffered.

I was like "Boy that wasn't my experience with Celebrity at all." I've shared my scrap book with some friends, and they all could tell just from the pictures what a fabulous time we had on the Infinity Hawaii cruise in Nov.

I did ask the couple what cruise line they like the best and normally cruise on.. and they usually do Raddison which is more luxurious, supposed to have better service than Celebrity, and is quite a bit more expensive (Unless you are in one of the more expensive Celebrity rooms, then the cost is not that much more )

Do you think that thier problem was expecting the same level of service on Celebrity as they got on Raddison??? Or real problems with the crew on this ship??? Sorry I don't know which ship, just that it was a South American Cruise.

The ship is Millennium. And I am guessing that your friends sailed on the cruise that missed two ports because of bad weather...

I will be going on March 5 and I intend to bring my laptop to write the most detailed day-by-day trip report cruise critic has ever seen :-)

Best Regards,

Floris

Floris .... can't wait to read your report. Have a great trip!!

Suzanne - we had such a great cruise on Millennium in the med last Sept. - every time I read complaints about this ship and the employees I can hardly believe it.

It has been my experience that many cruisers really aren't suited for exotic cruises. They find themselves outside their normal comfort level.

When that happens, they carp about everything. Even if the sailing was 100% perfect.

If they are accustomed to sailing the smaller ships of Radisson... I have to wonder why they choice a relative behemoth at 91,000 tons????

SA despite not so good weather at times, missed ports and sometimes questionable tour operators... is still one of my favorite itineraries.

Is it good planning when all the tour buses come back at the same time and everyone has to stand in the sun for over an hour and wait for a tender.

I enjoyed my cruise very much, but why can't people point out the things that went wrong.

All ships have delays with tendering, but the Millenium was only able to run three tenders at each of the ports.

Is it good planning when all the tour buses come back at the same time and everyone has to stand in the sun for over an hour and wait for a tender.

I enjoyed my cruise very much, but why can't people point out the things that went wrong.

All ships have delays with tendering, but the Millenium was only able to run three tenders at each of the ports.

There were 4 tenders running on our cruise - there are only 4 tenders. The rest are lifeboats. We did not experience delays for the tender when returning to the ship even close to the last call. Often the ship's tours came back late and we siled out later than planned.

The bigger problem is getting 980 people off the ship when you first dock. Each tender holds about 110-120 people and in some ports the round trip can be 30 minutes.

If they are accustomed to sailing the smaller ships of Radisson... I have to wonder why they choice a relative behemoth at 91,000 tons????

Our first cruise was on Radisson and we loved it. However, they are much more expensive. We are happy with the 3 Millennium Class Celebrity ships that we have been on. They are big, but we never felt crowded except for disembarkation! We sailed in a standard balcony on our first Celebrity cruise, and moved up to Concierge Class for the next too.

It is likely that the service in CC class cabins is better. We certainly had excellent service from our stateroom attendants. Our dinner table mates on the last 2 cruises were all CC or suite, and our waiters were excellent.

We were on the Millenium from Ft. Lauderdale to Valpariso, Chile over the Christmas & New Year's holidays and found the cruise, the service, the food, the excursions to be just fine - up to Celebrity standards. If one has to find some nit to pick, buffet lunches were not up to standard, vegetables often over steamed and tasteless but dinners were first rate. What we brought home with us besides our luggage was a nasty "bug" that still has not been identified by our internist but it was not the flu or the shipboard virus one reads so much about. Where we got it, we have no idea but what you find on the ship as you enter the buffet or dining rooms and gangways are hand mister sanitizers so something is definitely different from just a year ago.

I will be going on March 5 and I intend to bring my laptop to write the most detailed day-by-day trip report cruise critic has ever seen :-)

Best Regards,

Floris

That's the only way to do it and you have to make your journal entries at least every other day so you don't forget!

The current record is 9 pages :D

Have fun on your cruise, and I will look for your trip report!

Archived