Not X but maybe of interest re: Caribbean port overcrowding

trcori

Was looking for a Caymans news site while getting ready for the next cruise ... top story on this one happens to be a Princess ship dropping a Cayman stop, possibly in part because of port "congestion":

http://www.caymannetnews.com/2006/02/1027/bypassing.shtml

(If that's really the reason, just wait till the Behemoth of the Seas pulls up in a few years!)

Was there, did that...

Princess uses their own tenders, no contract for larger vessels with the port.

It started a nightmare, it remained a nightmare. Typical lies about how it was due to port congestion, it was due to the seas (flat, like glass). Their problem is taht they cannot move 3,000 people very well with their small tenders.

So, they got tired of getting yelled at and pulled the pin on GC

Was there, did that...

Princess uses their own tenders, no contract for larger vessels with the port.

It started a nightmare, it remained a nightmare. Typical lies about how it was due to port congestion, it was due to the seas (flat, like glass). Their problem is taht they cannot move 3,000 people very well with their small tenders.

So, they got tired of getting yelled at and pulled the pin on GC

Hi Jim !

Probably a good move on behalf of Princess. If all their passengers are going to get annoyed, why bother ? They can simply go somewhere else.

I wonder if GC will ever build a pier. Smart money says no... but its amazing that it hasnt happened up to now.

I would have to believe that as long as Banking is the big, big money maker in GC, there is little need for a pier.

Cruise passengers, on a whole, are not the biggest spenders in the world when a ship comes to port. WHy invet in something with a small return when you can open a numbered bank account and hide billions from the taxes of the world's nations?

There were seven ships anchored in GC on Jan 31, all large. Our driver told us they were trying to get the government to limit the number of ships in port on any given day. He said when it is so crowded no one makes any money because people either go back or stay on the ship. It was impossible to walk It was also congested because one ship had been leased to gay couples and the protesters were at the gates waving their signs.We went to sting ray city from the vendors at the dock and it was fine there but the traffic getting back was horrendous.

On my 2005 Century cruise we tendered in GC and while it was a bit of a logistical nightmare getting back on, getting off was nice due to the CC priority passes.

I took a dive trip to GC years ago when they were really fighting the cruise industry. This area is such a diving hot spot.

On my most recent cruise, the largest number of ships we ever saw in port were 2- ours and either a Princess, Windstar (very cool) or some line I've never heard of. We left San Juan with a RCCL and a Princess ship, both of which went the opposite way, and of course we all ended up back in San Juan on the same morning. I think the Western Caribbean is over-cruised really.

Archived