Norwegian Fjords

6 hours ago, mahdnc said:

But what is the thought about an early May sailing? 

These are actually two good itineraries.

The weather can be very nice in May - there is still snow in the mountains and roads to viewpoints in Geiranger may be closed.

In Flåm, many people cycle back from Myrdal to Flåm - bike hire is not possible in May.

17 hours ago, mahdnc said:

What kind of tourist services would be unavailable during the later part of the season? I know that’s a pretty general question but while that sounds quite logical, I can’t imagine what that would mean in my case. I imagine stores are still open? Are certain important attractions closed? Private guides can still be hired? I would imagine the ship would still offer their normal range of expensive shorex offerings?

Small ports like Geiranger (~250 residents) operate largely on a seasonal basis, so when traveling in low or shoulder season, it's important to research up front if the activities you want are available. For example, the sightseeing bus, RIB boat tours, electric car rentals, etc. will all stop running at the end of the season. In the past, the season typically ended by September, but due to climate change and increased cruise traffic, some operators now have longer seasons. Some ship excursions will likely be available, but the selection and capacity may be reduced. Advanced research and early bookings are essential.

Tourist shops may also close, since they often rely on seasonal workers, and won't see enough off-season visitors to warrant staying open. (There are a few small corner-store style groceries that are open year-round.)

In larger coastal cities, there tends to be more year-round visitors, so they are less impacted by seasonal closings. However, if you're looking at outdoor activities, this is another thing to check as seasonal offerings may vary.