Help with our transportation company

cruisenk

I also posted this question on the Carnival site:

We have a group of 13 (8 adults, 5 kids - 3 generations) going on the Liberty on March 12th. We called a FLL transportation company to arrange for them to transport all of us to Port Everglades (we have free shuttle from our hotel, but are willing to pay so we can all go together). After reading the boards, I said that I wanted to be at the pier at 10:15-ish.

The owner said that the local police will not let transportation companies drop people off until 11:30 at the earliest. He said that the last 3 times he has gone down that early, he was turned away. He also said that cabs can drop people off earlier, but not transportation company vans. Has anyone heard of this? If this is the case and he can't drop us off until 11:30, won't we be arriving with loads of other people? Would it be better to just wait until 2:00/2:30?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kari

Just go at 11:30, you will have no problems at that time. I would certainly want to get on the ship early than waiting until 2 or 2:30. Going at 10:15 or so you will probably have more people getting off the ships from the previous cruise than you will getting on the ship at 11:30.

I do also remember reading something about you issue with the van company but it was awhile back.

The owner said that the local police will not let transportation companies drop people off until 11:30 at the earliest. He said that the last 3 times he has gone down that early, he was turned away. He also said that cabs can drop people off earlier, but not transportation company vans. Has anyone heard of this? If this is the case and he can't drop us off until 11:30, won't we be arriving with loads of other people? Would it be better to just wait until 2:00/2:30?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kari

Sounds like your transportation company has a scheduled pickup at the port before your drop off and is trying to accomodate HIS schedule. You are paying for a service and you should go when you want to go. If he is unwilling to provide the service to your specifications then find one that will. ;)

I remember reading on one of the cruise boards where someone went to the pier 10 to 10:30 ish and they were turned away and told to come back. Maybe your transportation company knows something others don't?

Yes, it was on these boards somewhere a couple of months ago that the Port Police had established times. I don't think this has anything to do with the desires of the van company but rules set up at the port.

Sounds like your transportation company has a scheduled pickup at the port before your drop off and is trying to accomodate HIS schedule. You are paying for a service and you should go when you want to go. If he is unwilling to provide the service to your specifications then find one that will. ;)

This was my first impression!

I remember reading on one of the cruise boards where someone went to the pier 10 to 10:30 ish and they were turned away and told to come back. Maybe your transportation company knows something others don't?

After hearing your reply, maybe there is something to what the company was saying. I definitely don't want to pay our money and then get turned away.

Yes, it was on these boards somewhere a couple of months ago that the Port Police had established times. I don't think this has anything to do with the desires of the van company but rules set up at the port.

Someone mentioned to me that maybe it has to do with Homeland Security? I'm just glad that I have these boards to ask questions and get some honest answers.

From the Port Everglades web site:

Cruise lines ask that you board at least two hours prior to departure. However, most do not begin processing embarking passengers before 11 a.m. http://www.broward.org/port/cruise_passengerinfo.htm

We've never encountered a problem arriving before 11am.

Thanks for the link. It looks like we'll be cancelling the transportation service and taking either the free shuttle from the hotel (in shifts) or just paying for a few taxis.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Kari

I have been refused early entrance (before 10:30am) when arriving by cab into Port Everglades.

Yep, I lied and flashed my Massport badge... and got in.

There is a reason for traffic control at the port.

Listen to your transportation company.

I have been refused early entrance (before 10:30am) when arriving by cab into Port Everglades.

Yep, I lied and flashed my Massport badge... and got in.

There is a reason for traffic control at the port.

Listen to your transportation company.

Wow! That would not be a good start to a vacation.

Archived