Walking into San Pedro Cruise Port (LA)

3 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Again...As a local, I will tell you that VERY FEW locals would ever advise you to take that route...

Steve is being polite, NO LOCAL would ever advise that route.

3 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Also, BTW, I would advise against flying in 3:00 on the day of your cruise...especially on a weekday... 

Surely you are not flying in the day of your cruise after 12PM and hoping to use public transportation in LA to get to your ship.

That would be a very bad idea.

• Like 2

They used to be serious about cutting off check in  at a certain time - I assume they still are - so don’t cut it too close.  

We once got stuck on the freeway  while driving from San Diego to San Pedro; they shut it down to one lane due to an accident.     We just made it - there was one guy left at the check in,  one taking bags, and no other passengers in sight. 

From then on we leave home early, drop off the bags, and visit the USS Iowa!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 1:12 PM, scottca075 said:

Steve is being polite, NO LOCAL would ever advise that route.

Surely you are not flying in the day of your cruise after 12PM and hoping to use public transportation in LA to get to your ship.

That would be a very bad idea.

Thank you for your comments.  I am flying in the day before my cruise departs.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:57 AM, lstone19 said:

Despite my own experience, I agree with the above. If this is at 3pm on the day of cruise departure, you’re already at risk of missing the ship. Your goal is to get to the ship ASAP, not find the cheapest way there. I’d dare to say you need to be completely rethinking your travel arrangements. IIRC, most Princess cruises from San Pedro need everyone on board by 4pm.

Thanks; in fact this will be the day before I board. I appreciate all of the feedback and tips.

6 minutes ago, IRMO12HD said:

Thanks; in fact this will be the day before I board. I appreciate all of the feedback and tips.

Good to hear. Despite what others have said, if you're comfortable using public transportation, go for it. I was riding the NYC Subway alone as a teenager and today there are very few major cities I've been in, including a number in other countries, where I have not used public transportation. Considering our last taxi ride, sometimes I feel much safer on public transportation.

• Like 1