Bringing a bicycle on board Norwegian ships

On 5/14/2021 at 11:25 PM, WYB! said:

NCL will not store the bike for you. It's a liability thing.

Not so fast, my friend! They store any illegally smuggled booze until the end of the cruise, right? So here's an easy solution for True Trans Traveler: Securely strap a large bottle of scotch to your bike frame. Upon boarding, the booze will get confiscated, along with your bike. The last night of the cruise, the bike and booze will be returned to your cabin. Problem solved!! 😂

-

-

P.S. I'm joking.

• Haha 4

On 5/9/2021 at 11:30 PM, WYB! said:

Oh, if you don't plan on riding each time in port, then once you get to your cabin just take off the wheels and store the frame and wheels either in the closet or under the bed. Let your cabin steward know where it is.

But I'm also going to say that you'll want to ride in each port too.

So if you are traveling single, just let your cabin steward know and perhaps they can push the beds together and against the wall and then put the bike under the bed so it will be out of the way.

At first I kept my folding bike under the bed but then just left it under desk (with the handle bars folded down), but I used the bike in each port, (also going around the UK and northern Europe).

What ever you do, don't check your bike as luggage. The first time I brought the bike on a cruise, I did on disembarkation and when I got it back I needed to get the rear tire realigned.

Safe travels,

- WYB

why couldn't you just check it in a bike case? That's how we fly with our bikes . 

On 5/10/2021 at 11:15 AM, graphicguy said:

You're also going to have to navigate the bicycle on stairs, in elevators, in and out of security. I mean, if you're determined to do it, and NCL doesn't mind, I guess go for it.  But, it will be a pretty big hassle for you, and those who have to navigate around you and the bike while on board and during every disembarkation and embarkation at every port.

People that cycle have nice bikes that are light and easy to transport. It would be zero issue for him . And I can't see why it would bother anyone. Are you mad at scooters and wheelchairs? 

On 5/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, ziggyuk said:

Isn't this easy if it won't be used in the ports? You strip and box it so it's no larger than a large suitcase. You check it in with the other cases and it's delivered directly to your cabin, it's then stored under the bed and on the last day tagged with the other luggage and left outside your door?

It's essentially then just another case.

I agree. Zero issues if locked. 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 4:27 PM, graphicguy said:

Have you ever cruised before?

I understand what you're trying to do.  Just pointing out the hassle of getting the bike on, and then off the ship, while everyone else is trying to do the same thing.  It's not as simple as..."well I'll be the last one on and the last one off".  You embark and disembark based on the time they tell you to do both, among another very large group of people.  If it were only you who would be getting on or off, while not disturbing anyone else, I would say fine.

But, you'll be inconveniencing a whole lot of others who are getting on and off in the process.  The aisles are narrow and the stairs and elevators will be crowded.  You'll be hauling not only your luggage on and off, but you're FULL SIZED BIKE at the same time....while others are hauling their FULL SIZED LUGGAGE in the same way.

Let me give you an example.  This was a few years ago, but I saw a person try to negotiate their luggage off and on, while also carrying a full sized drone.  Understand, the drone was big, but probably ⅓ the size of your bike.  The person trying to do all of this ended up knocking people over while at first, trying to fit himself, and everything he brought with him during embarkation, on an elevator.  That didn't work.  So, he tried doing it on the stairs.  He ended up losing his luggage, which like a bowling ball, knocked down the passengers behind him as it bounced down the stairs.  During disembarkation, he tried to do the same, until a group of other fed up  disembarking passengers shoved him, his luggage and his drone to one side of the stairs landing to keep him from continuing to interfere with their progress.  Was it the right thing for them to do?  No!  But, it wasn't right for the perpetrator to expect everyone to make way just for him and his drone. 

This was just a couple of years ago.  What I'll assume was some sort of prankster, thought it would be hilarious if he would embark wearing a dinosaur costume.  Well, if you've even seen those, which are oversized to begin with, they're very unwieldy.  Security made him take it off, but he had nothing but his skivvies on underneath.  Didn't matter.  He was boarding with his unmentionables on while carrying the Dino costume.  From that perspective, we all had a chuckle.  Later in the cruise, he tried again to wear it during a sea day at the pool.  That didn't end well either, as no one could move around him in his costume.  That wasn't funny at all, for him or those he bumped into all over the pool areas.  He was forced to remove it.  Fortunately, he had swim trunks on underneath.

Bottom line, if it's just you who would be affected by hauling your bike on and off, I have no issue.  But, you'll be interfering with a lot of other people in the process.  I understand what you want, and why you want to do it.  On a cruise ship, even if you leave it in your cabin, the cabin steward will have to work around it.

It just doesn't sound like a good idea.  I know if I were embarking/disembarking anywhere near you hauling around your luggage and your bike, I'd be PO'd.  

Lol he's a cyclist . He will have a back pack or cargo bags . Less luggage than most cruisers and probably faster than most too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1