To balcony or not to balcony!!!

lozzajelly

First of all, congratulations on deciding to cruise. It's a great vacation!

BUT, once you have a balcony, there is NO GOING BACK!

Our first 4 cruises, we had 'oceanview' and we were perfectly happy. THEN came the Destiny cruise. We were cruising with friends & booked a balcony cabin so we could all be 'together' on the same floor. And that, so the saying goes, was that!!!! We'll never go back. ;)

So just be prepared & happy cruising! :)

We wholeheartedly agree with margaritagal..

Our first few cruises included the natural progression of accomodations; inside, to ocean view, to balcony. When we made the plunge to a balcony cabin about three cruises ago, we were hooked; and as margaritagal said, we have not/will not go back! : ) We just love the balcony cabins for so many different reasons, and have our next one booked for May 06 to Alaska on the Star.

I've heard that a balcony cabin is a must for Alaska. As far as port or starboard, not a big deal either way in our opinion, but many cruisers do have preferences in cabin location on the ship. We do prefer mid ship, but port or starboard is not that important to us..

Have a great cruise....you will love it!

Our first 4 cruises, we had 'oceanview' and we were perfectly happy. THEN came the Destiny cruise. We were cruising with friends & booked a balcony cabin so we could all be 'together' on the same floor. And that, so the saying goes, was that!!!! We'll never go back. ;)

Not true! Our first cruise was in a balcony cabin. We did love it but didn't spend enough time in the cabin to appreciate it. As a 1st time cruiser we spent more time exploring the ship and all it offered (didn't even get to see/do everything) that we were barely in the room let alone on the balcony.

We are doing an inside this time around and plan on having as much fun if not more on this cruise!

~Connie

Going on our first cruise in November and not sure whether to go for an oceanview or balcony, seems a silly question but desperately want to get it right!!! Also port or starboard?

Cheers

:p

A balcony is wonderful!!! You will have a good time no matter which cabin you choose, but a balcony gives you much more room and is great to hang out on. It's also nice having your coffee in the morning and reading a good book, cocktails before or after dinner too. I've been in all different types of cabins, but we always get a balcony now if they're available.

Jackie :cool:

I think this is one of those questions where you yourself will provide the best answer :). You will find that most people who have had balconies will swear by them. I know I am one of those having gone from oceanview to a balcony and stayed there. I never tried an inside because I just know I wouldn't like it. I need a view of the outside no matter how much time I spend in the cabin. One advantage a balcony offers is during those times when you have trouble finding a chair on deck for lounging or reading.

How much time do you think you will spend in your cabin? What is the difference in cost between the different choices? You can use that for spending if you choose to. Read what everyone has to say and then decide for yourself. That is the great thing about cruising - it's exactly what you make of it and can be tailored to just about any personality and budget :). No matter what choice you make, you will love it.

Very, very true.....

I don't buy into the argument that once you had had a balcony, you can't go back.

We've had balconies, and we have had oceanviews. Depending on itinerary, port intensity, projected weather, etc., helps us decide whether or not we want a balcony.

Like a previous poster, we find that we spend little time in our cabins, and little time on the balcony. There are so many things we can do that don't require privacy we get along fine on open public decks.

Isn't it wonderful we have so many choices?

I'll never go back either. I travel with my kids, so we put them to bed, sit on the Balcony, and read while we enjoy our drinks. On the Dawn it was great to be out there seeing the dolphins in the water as we arrived at Port Canaveral. And the kids love to go out there, it just gives you that much more space. I'll never go back to an oceaniew! We'll be in our fourth balcony on Sunday on the Spirit, can't wait!

Kathy

I'll never go back either. I travel with my kids, so we put them to bed, sit on the Balcony, and read while we enjoy our drinks. On the Dawn it was great to be out there seeing the dolphins in the water as we arrived at Port Canaveral. And the kids love to go out there, it just gives you that much more space. I'll never go back to an oceaniew! We'll be in our fourth balcony on Sunday on the Spirit, can't wait!

Kathy

Yes, it is wonderful sitting out there with your Honey and watching the ocean. We saw dolphins too, and flying fish. We also saw whales when we cruised Mexico. I could cruise in any cabin, but the balcony adds to it for us.

Jackie:cool:

For a first time cruiser I would say don't worry. You will love it whatever cabin you have.

If cost isn't too important, then yes, go for a balcony. If on the otherhand you want extra spending money, then fine, go for an oceanview.

One thing is almost certain, you will be back for more, and then perhaps consider moving up the cabin grades if you can.

I have never had a bad cruise, and only once had a balcony (DAWN). It's not that long ago that balcony cabins were unheard of.

Enjoy your experience whatever you decide.

My first cruise was an inside cabin, then I was upgraded to an oceanview and could never go back to an inside cabin. We then booked a balcony and loved it. I use the balcony for breakfast, for some quiet time reading, etc.

I agree with Efisio, if this is your first cruise you'll be out exploring the ship and all the activities.

Have a good time.

We order room service every morning & have breakfast on the balcony. We have a drink out there before dinner. We prop the door open when we go to bed for fresh air. Sometimes everything on the ship just seems too noisy & it's nice to sit on the balcony & read or nap or just watch the water. For us it's now a 'necessity.' :)

We order room service every morning & have breakfast on the balcony. We have a drink out there before dinner. We prop the door open when we go to bed for fresh air. Sometimes everything on the ship just seems too noisy & it's nice to sit on the balcony & read or nap or just watch the water. For us it's now a 'necessity.' :)

Ah, but would it have been a necessity on your first cruise?

We just came off the Jewel (our first cruise) and we had a balcony on the port side, deck 9. A friend that has sailed many times recommended we take a balcony. Absolutely, without a doubt the best thing we could have done. :)

Here's why:

1- Atmosphere...We also enjoyed our morning coffee and evening drinks there.

2- The view.. Some of my best pictures were taken from our balcony (sunset, waves, etc...).

3- The buzz... The sites and sounds of arriving at port are exciting

4- Comfort... We enjoyed the fresh air and sun on our comfy chairs

5- Convenience...We dried our bathing suits and water shoes on the balcony

6- Interaction. We had some great talks with our neighbours from Minnesota from our balcony

7- Privacy... While my daughter slept, we sat out there and could have time to ourselves without needing a babysitter.

Hope this helps :)

I'm not sure I would ever get a suite unless the upsell was too good to pass up, but I would certainly get another balcony.

We just returned from our first cruise and someone had recommended a balcony room. We had a balcony on deck 9, mid ship. It was great and we will only settle for a balcony from here on out. With so much to do on the ship, sometimes you just need some quiet time after running all over the place. And as other posters mentioned, coffee in the morning, drinks at night, good picture taking opportunities and docking and port activities were all very much a part of our cruise experience. Just watching them load all the food for the next cruise was interesting! What a way to relax!!

We just came off the Jewel (our first cruise) and we had a balcony on the port side, deck 9. A friend that has sailed many times recommended we take a balcony. Absolutely, without a doubt the best thing we could have done. :)

Here's why:

1- Atmosphere...We also enjoyed our morning coffee and evening drinks there.

2- The view.. Some of my best pictures were taken from our balcony (sunset, waves, etc...).

3- The buzz... The sites and sounds of arriving at port are exciting

4- Comfort... We enjoyed the fresh air and sun on our comfy chairs

5- Convenience...We dried our bathing suits and water shoes on the balcony

6- Interaction. We had some great talks with our neighbours from Minnesota from our balcony

7- Privacy... While my daughter slept, we sat out there and could have time to ourselves without needing a babysitter.

Hope this helps :)

I'm not sure I would ever get a suite unless the upsell was too good to pass up, but I would certainly get another balcony.

We LOVE the balcony...morning, noon and night!

Arriving in ports, departing ports, greeting other ships, meeting your neighbors...just so enjoyable.

Since you are sailing in Nov., just consider (if price is a factor) how many days you will utilize your balcony.

You did not say what ship/debarkation port.

FROSTBITTEN PIRATES: Be careful with the suites...you will NEVER go back to another cabin;)

Archived