Is it Cheese Cake yet/

AAAAmerican

Have you ever ordered the ((So called )) Cheese Cake aboard any ships and found more Flour than Cream Cheese?

So far we have never had any Basic NY Style Cheese Cake that is actually NY CreamCheese Cake as it should be now on any Ship..

Yes like another basic.. Garlic on Pizza...yummm an a normalcy even ships leaving from New York City they do/did not have either of the aforementioned..

On a Carnival Ship the Miracle it was a Miracle I found garlic for me and my wife at the Breakfast omlet area but not across at the NY Pizza serving area...

Why?

• 2 months later...

seems like no one has an opinion for you but I do...the so called cheese cake on CCL was very poor indeed...I didn't even know that you could make a cheesecake that light and tasteless........however on the NCL we did just find out that the cheesecake ordered in the formal diningrooms was not half bad but not the kind you make at home, which I usully make a new york style cheesecake or blueberry swirl during blueberry season....in general I did find all of the desserts on NCL much better than on CCL....:rolleyes: !!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Princess has or at least did have good cheesecakes. I, too, love the NY style and hate those "fluffy" kind. You had to watch for it though in the buffets and if you saw you had to grab fast or it was gone. They made some very nice ones with tropical flavour, mango, pineapple, papaya, etc. It was dense and so very good.

Have you ever ordered the ((So called )) Cheese Cake aboard any ships and found more Flour than Cream Cheese??

FLOUR in a cheesecake? You're kidding, right? I've been a chef half my life, and I've never made or even heard of a recipe for a cheesecake using flour.....:confused:

Any flour in a cheesecake recipe can gum it up. The best recipe for New York Cheescake I have ever had is out of the The Best Recipe cookbook. Not only do they have good recipes, but they explain their test process (America's Test Kitchen people). That is one outstanding recipe.

Also puts out an awesome magazine- Cooks Illustrated. It comes out every other month. THey have brand comparisons of everything from canned tomoato products to coffee to olive oils. Also great articles about kitchen gadgets, great photos, helpful home tips from readers, a art quality back cover (for example multiple drawings of different types of fruit or veg genus and species) and step by step instructions including pix of what the wrong outcomes are. Love getting it in the mail.

I distinctly recall the Cheesecake recipe they monkeyed with and the accompanying pix to show you the yeahs and hays of baking a cheesecake- flat fallen cheesecake, perfect cheesecake, cracked top cheesecake. Myself- I have yet to have a really good piece of cheesecake on the seas. And I like the NY style, Italian Ricotta style, and even the cheesy (no pun intended) fluffy jello instant no bake kind- just please don't call that cheesecake!

• 2 weeks later...
If I remember correctly, Celebrity had pretty good cheesecake. And I continually have to tell people I work with that if you don't have to bake it, no way can it be cheesecake!

Can I hear an, "Amen" from the crowd?

No kidding. No bake cheesecake is interesting, but it ain't no real cheesecake.

I'm pretty sure garlic on pizza is a regional thing.

I'm relatively new to cruising, but I've travelled extensively (for work and pleasure) and I have never encountered it frequently anywhere other than on the east coast. And even then I've only found it in the larger metro areas.

• 3 weeks later...

on CCL it was horrible and I just couldn't eat it...it was more like a soggy floury cake consistency :( ....on NCL is was much better and one time it was served with strawberries and was actually not bad....but it's not like what I make at home but then again I put about 4lbs of cheese in mine :rolleyes:

S'pea - You need to take another Carnival cruise.:D They've revised the menus a bit, and there are two new cheesecakes featured. The chef gave me both recipes - NO flour in either.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, didn't encounter any cheesecake on our last cruise.

Just had a statement to make. I had the best cheesecake I've ever had at a local restaurant last night. They buy it from Carnigie Deli in NY. I will now compare every slice I eat to that one. Yum!

S'pea - You need to take another Carnival cruise.:D They've revised the menus a bit, and there are two new cheesecakes featured. The chef gave me both recipes - NO flour in either.

:D that's good to hear.......I personally put a ton (5 pkgs) of philly in mine......LOVE cheese cake and LOVE to make it........:rolleyes: wonder if you can make it cal free, fat free and carb free..... I can find something anywhere I go...not really fussy, as long as I don't have to cook on the ship, I'm a happ gal..............;)

FLOUR in a cheesecake? You're kidding, right? I've been a chef half my life, and I've never made or even heard of a recipe for a cheesecake using flour.....:confused:

:rolleyes: do you suppose it could possibly be a instant mix of sorts ? :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the cheesecake on Carnival was good. I don't remember the first few cruises, but the Carnival cruise in Oct of last year had a cheesecake buffet one day for lunch, with all kinds of cheesecake. I thought the Carnival cheesecake was better than Princess in March. I don't like cheesecake with a crust.

Terri

Archived