Choose cruise based on debarkation port?

tempoct

:confused:

Does this make sense to you?

I'm still choosing for 7-night NB Vancouver-Anchorage between HAL and Princess. HAL debark at Seward and Princess debark at Whittier.

The thing is, I'd like to do Seward (Kenai Fjord NP & Exit Glacier & Seward-Anchorage AKRR) right after the cruise. HAL is slightly more expensive than Princess and more formal? I like the less formal/ more casual cruise. If I pick Princess, I need to worry about quick Whitter-Seward transportation which adds up to Princess cost plus shorten the time in Seward (which much research, there's probably be a taxi for 2-3 hrs drive from Whittier but our group is just two people. That would be about $100 for each).

Other than that, the iternary from both cruise line seems to be identical. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Any thought?

HAL is my clear choice for Seward and it is not all that formal with both lines very similar. The Personal Choice dining with Princess is a plus but unless you are going to add more time, Whittier isn't the best option for Seward priorities.

Are staying overnight in Seward- the best option and a must if you are coming from Whittier.

Our party of 3 couples (and all our luggage) will be taking the Magic Bus big van from Whittier to Seward. Very pricey but we are splitting the cost and still runs over a hundred. From what I have gathered, that is not a usual run for them. Renee at PJ's Taxi does the same run. I do not know if she has smaller vehicles for transporting . I do not know if she charges the same for just 2 people . I hope this may have been of some help. Also upon BQs recommendation, we will be doing the 8 1/2 hr cruise. Thanks BQ!

Jackie from Az

Island Princess

July 2006 and Can hardly wait!

Thank you BQ :)

I don't plan to stay overnight at Seward (if you remember my iternary proposal :D). Wanna take the 6pm train to Anchorage.

Only if there's a quickway to transit from Whittier, but look like it will be 2-3 hrs time for it (taxi, bus).

Hi Happy2004,

What is your expected travel time from Whittier to Seward? What's your departure time?

Our party of 3 couples (and all our luggage) will be taking the Magic Bus big van from Whittier to Seward. Very pricey but we are splitting the cost and still runs over a hundred. From what I have gathered, that is not a usual run for them. Renee at PJ's Taxi does the same run. I do not know if she has smaller vehicles for transporting . I do not know if she charges the same for just 2 people . I hope this may have been of some help. Also upon BQs recommendation, we will be doing the 8 1/2 hr cruise. Thanks BQ!

Jackie from Az

Island Princess

July 2006 and Can hardly wait!

Thank you BQ :)

I don't plan to stay overnight at Seward (if you remember my iternary proposal :D). Wanna take the 6pm train to Anchorage.

Only if there's a quickway to transit from Whittier, but look like it will be 2-3 hrs time for it (taxi, bus).

Then you need a private booked transfer that will have you on the road by 8am. If you are going to do the Kenai fjords boat tour, that leaves at 11:30am. PJ's taxi is the option I would suggest you book. It is at least 2 hours with no stops. This may not be the best choice with your limited time.

I suggest you take HAL and don't worry about the formal. You''ll end in Seward and can spend the day here,take the 6pm train to Anch that day if wanted or stay overnight. Seward has more than a days visit with all the things to do.It would give you a chance to see Seward without the Whittier problem.Your not going to miss a thing by not seeing Whittier, but there's alot to miss in Seward! :)

Side note: It would be hard to disembark in Whittier and drive to Seward to make it in time for the 11:30 cruise,not impossible but the cruise line likes to try to keep organized by releasing passengers based on travel plans...bus,train and independants last,usually around 9am.You would probably have to tell them you need to leave early to catch a flight,7:45am to make sure you can get the 8am tunnel release and have enough time for the drive without feeling rushed.

What HA ship are you planning to take? We have only been on Oosterdam - going on Volendam in May - but on Oosterdam we had some very nice dinners up on Lido deck on our Mexico cruise. Enjoyed the food and the views from there are gorgeous. It was half buffet (pick up salads, etc.) and then we chose our entree and it was delivered to the table that was set with tablecloths, etc. Very nicely done. We didn't miss the dining room at all on those nights. Watching this thread with interest as we may have the same complications next year, so please let us know how you get it all resolved! Good Luck!

The HAL ship would probably be the Veendam and the Princess would be the Diamond.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I felt like the Diamond might fit my bill better. It's larger and has much more variety of facilities/activities but both ship should be great (love the fact that the Diamond offer a virtual golf course).

Another thing is, my TA quotes me an oceanview in the Diamond $100 less than an inside in the Veendam. :rolleyes: I can use that extra $200 from the budget to use in PJ taxi from Whittier to Seward.

Nevertheless, I'd lose 2-3 hours in transportation. If the highway has good scenic, that wouldn't be much loss.

Right?

Archived