Galveston Hotel advice please

okiemom

We are sailing on the Conquest December 3, 2006 and are in need of some information. The following are the hotels/motels that we are looking into staying at for one night (pre-cruise) Any information that you have on the properties would be much appreciated. We are parking at EZCruise Parking so it is not important that the hotels have free parking. Sorry the list is long but these are the ones that have decent rates. icon_confused.gif

Beachfront Budget Inn (800 Seawall Blvd.)

Brentwood Inn & Suites (2525 Jones Dr.)

Days Inn Galveston (6107 Broadway)

Econolodge (3924 Avenue U)

Flagship Hotel (2501 Seawall Blvd.)

Howard Johnson Express Inn (8216 Harborside Dr.)

Motel 6 (7404 Ave J)

Mariner Inn (1602 Seawall Blvd.)

Sandpiper Motel (201 Seawall Blvd @ Ferry Road)

Gaido's Seaside Inn (3802 Seawall Blvd.)

Harbor View Inn (928 Ferry Road)

Based on your list, I would go with Gaido's. Family owned, clean, and next to some of the best seafood on the Island.

Howard Johnson is new, but away from everything, however, nothing is far on Galveston.

Flagship, I don't know the condition of it at this time, it is unique as it is built out over the Gulf. Landry's Corp is taking it over, but I don't know how much has been done to renovate it.

Hi, Well, I can tell you where not to stay. The Motel 6! We stayed there before our Rhapsody cruise a few years ago and it was terrible. The kind of room you wouldn't go barefoot in and - unless you were playing in the mud - where you forego a step into the tub! I'm afraid some of the other budget hotels would be very similar.

You didn't list www.harborhousepier21.com. You should give them a look. Cruise parking is free and you can walk to-and-from the hotel to the ship, avoiding taxis, shuttles and the like at both ends of the cruise. Money wise, it probably works out cheaper than one of the other decent hotels with parking added. The area is very nice too.

Good lucK! Have a fun time!

Oooops, I just went on their site, checked the date you would want (12/2) and a price of $200+ came up!!! For our April cruise date it's $105 including parking, which is just a tad higher than what we paid last year for the night before our Galaxy cruise. I wonder if it is just too far out and, if so, if the rates won't drop at some point?!

You have lots of time and I would definately hold out and check in a few months as that is just too exorbitant and would put me - and I'm sure you, too - off that idea.

Good luck!

Do not stay at the Flagship. Yes it is unique in that it is over the water, but that is all at this time. Landry's Corp. has not taken it over yet and the present owner does nothing to upgrade or keep it clean. It is a horrible property right now.

What I suggest is to book one of your choices but to keep calling Harbor House to see if you can get in. We were booked somewhere else because I couldn't get a reservation at Harbor House. Then the week of our cruise I called and they had an opening for $105 that included the week's parking. I love Harbor House. We like to walk to the ship plus they have a decent continental breakfast that is just right before eating at the buffet on the ship.

OK...So Flagship and Motel 6 is off the list! I was wondering about those two anyway. I would love to stay at the Harbor House but WOW! the price! I will keep checking online. I just wanted to go ahead and book a room so that when the cruise comes and something is going on in Galveston we will have a room available to us. We think that the Victorian Fair on the Strand (or something like that) is happening during this time of year.

Thank you so much for all of your responses! I really need to know where to stay as well as where not to stay. I will have my two boys (7 & 3) with me so walking on the floor barefooted is important!:eek:

Thanks Again and keep the suggestions coming!:D

Hi Okiemom-I am an Okie as well, I think we have chatted before. We previously stayed at Bestwestern Beachfront and it was great. We leave in 16 days, not that I am counting, to stay in Galveston pre-cruise and we booked this time and Quality Inn and Suites. The have a heated indoor pool and hot tub. Kids might really like the pool in December. Will post when we get back our opinion on the room. I haven't heard bad things about it, hope I don't now :). Good Luck!!:D

Awesome...Please let me know when you return. I actually booked Quality Inn & Suites for our cruise last December that was cancelled due to Katrina. The rate was really good $59.95 but now it is around $95 for the same week in December. I was considering the Best Western the rate is better than Quality.

Thanks for your input and have an AWESOME CRUISE!!!!!!!:D :D

Try booking through www.southwest.com. I know it's an airline, but they do hotels too. I found they had a price of $70 less than booking through the Harbor House pier 21 site or either of the galveston sites. It can't hurt. I enjoed my stay at HH last July and will probaly stay again this year.

Enjoy

Ron

My husband and I just returned from Rhapsody. We stayed at the Quality on Seawall. The price was $62.95 per night. The room was very clean. Our only disappointment was the continental breakfast. Not much to choose from. Cold cereal and donuts. It was fine though, we were actually too excited to care. Good luck in your search. Have fun cruising.

Just booked the Days Inn for $58.95 for one night. I was really worried that if I didn't go ahead and book something we would end up with nothing. Dickens on the Strand is happening this same weekend so all of the hotels are filling up fast and the rates are going way up. I will still keep looking for better rates and rooms because I can cancel up to December 1st.

Thanks for everyones opinion!:)

With out a doubt - the Hotel Galvez!!!

The place is beautiful - I'm getting married there next month the day before I leave on the Grand March 25th.

Also, free parking for the duration of the cruise and a shuttle to the terminal and back.

Can't beat it.

Or if you want a B&B, Grace Manor is a 1905 historic home near the strand that is also beautiful.

Archived