Arriving in Miami day of cruise- how late can we arrive?

AllieNJ3

First time cruising, so not sure what to expect. Our cruise is in May and we have to fly into Miami the day of the cruise, so how late is to late to arrive at the airport? Our TA is trying to put us on a flight that gets in at 1pm, and I'm worried that is not enough time to get to the port for a 4pm departure. For those of you that have left from Miami before, what do you think? Thanks!

First time cruising, so not sure what to expect. Our cruise is in May and we have to fly into Miami the day of the cruise, so how late is to late to arrive at the airport? Our TA is trying to put us on a flight that gets in at 1pm, and I'm worried that is not enough time to get to the port for a 4pm departure. For those of you that have left from Miami before, what do you think? Thanks!

1. Figure about an hour to get out of the airport - some will say I did it in 30 min - ya ya ya. Are you doing cruise line xfer? will you need to p/u your own luggage? factors.

2. Once you depart MIA, the port is only about a 25 min ride...not far at all. See: http://members.cox.net/bjokeefe/MiamiMap.doc

note a taxi from MIA to the port is a flat rate per car and under $25 plus tip. Compare that to any shuttle or transfer pak you are offered.

two hours should be the max it takes and usually much less

so it is doable

but

many here will recommend u actually fly into Miami the day before and get a room. this eases the stress about being late or having a weather delay. and for some allows them to arrive at the terminal at 8 am even tho boarding won't begin until 11 :p

former Miami resident, too frequent MIA flyer, prior port employee and occasional cruiser sends.

You may not want to hear this but I highly recommend that you fly the day before and not that day. And, at the very minimum fly in the night before. And, if you can't do that fly as early as you can that morning. If you take a flight and it is scheduled to arrive at 1:00 PM and it is very late or for that matter gets canceled you may miss the ship. Not a good way to start your cruise.

That is why most experienced cruisers fly in at least one day before their cruise.

Keith

General rule: don't book a flight within 4 hours of arrival or departure. Add more if the airport is far from the port. Even they Miami is relatively close (25 minutes), I still think 3 hours is not enough time. Any delays at all and you are missing the ship.

Thanks everyone- was able to find an earlier flight, now I get in at 8:40! That should be enough time

My BP would be lower

sounds like a good plan

{altho my last trip 'cheaprooms.com' found me a great suite in the Grove the night b4. A $400 3 room suite for $90....we walked to Monty's for a bowl of conch chowder, fritters and a bottle of white; then strolled CoCoWalk...slept late, dot dot dotted, hada relaxing break of fast and headed to the port, after the mad rush of early boarders.... That's my 'way'}

Archived