How do u keep in touch with kids on port days???

RN7997

I have taken 3 cruises with my children and we have had a great time on all. After 2 cruises that went to Key west, my 5 year old begged me to stay at "play group" the 3rd time. After much discussion, my husband and I decided to let him stay on board. What a great idea! We shopped for two hours without an unhappy boy and he had a great time with his new friends!

I believe that each situation is different as is each parent/child relationship. Does this mean that I didn't care about my child as much or that I am a bad mother? Absolutely not!! But, my son learned the lesson of gaining and playing with new friends while experiencing a taste of independence that is necessary as a child grows. It is the job of a good mother/father to make the appropriate decisions within the scope/situation of his/her own children.

By the way, I have 5 sons (26,22,21,16,5) and have done the best job that I am capable of in raising them. None of them feel neglected or complain.

Why should others?

:confused:

we do not know what kind of people do take jobs on cruise ships. I have left my nephew in camp on our cruises(not while we were ashore)
Are you saying they'd be a pervert while you're ashore but not while you're aboard? If something were to happen, it would happen regardless of where you were.

Lumping AO staffers in with the rest of the ship's crew is somewhat shortsided and misinformed. Concerning AO staff, "every member of our staff holds a college degree in education or other related field, or has qualified experience in working with children." No background checks? Highly unlikely.

Last cruise we went on we left our 7 year old daughter on the ship in the kid's program after dinner. Our ship was in Cozumel until midnight. Around 7 pm we checked our daughter into the kids program and then we went for a drink at a local restaurant (A drink-not 10!). My husband and I had some alone time and our daugther enjoyed being with her new friends.

I didn't worry about her. I don't believe in any way was I negligient with her. She absolutely had a blast. To me it was a win-win situation. She had a good time and we had a good time.

Would I do it again? YES! I am assuming we may do it again on our next cruise. It all depends on what my daughter wants to do. If she wants to be with us the time in port, she will be with us. If she would rather play with some of her friends that she's made, we'll allow her to play with them in the kid's program after some time together in the port.

smrn: Let me just say congratulations on raising five boys. We only have one DD, and her teen years nearly did me in (not because she was a problem child, simply a normal one with the usual teenage angst); now she is a most delightful young adult. Children are always challenging, but any mom who has five (no doubt rambuncious) boys deserves both a medal and as many cruises as she would like. You sound like a fantastic parent; I'm sure your boys appreciate that.

Happy cruising.

beachchick

Beachchick,

What a very nice thing to say. But I have to be honest; sometimes it has been rough!! But truly, I wouldn't have had it any different. I just wonder which one will put me in a nursing home first?

Ha-ha!

-Sharon

:)

Sharon,

I stopped at four, how on EARTH did you have five boys and maintain ANYTHING close to sanity? There are days around here that I am ready to just leave a note and head for the hills!

"Dear Boys,

You finally did it. You drove me nuts. I am here but hiding in the bathtub for the weekend. Here's five hundred bucks and the number to the pizza place. Don't forget to change the babies diapers. Have fun. Watch all the cartoons you want.

Love Mom"

Of course I would never do this. They would all starve to death. My poor husband would be inconsolable and lost. Of course it is nice to know you are needed.

I salute you.

Nlidel,

Do you know how many time that I wanted to start that letter? It's so funny! When the boys got bigger, I desperately wanted them to be little again! Crazy huh?

Oh, such is motherhood!

I am ready to cruise! This time, only the 5 year old is going with us. 'Course, I'll have grandchildren to look forward to someday!

-Sharon

Archived