Question about beaches...

CaliforniaAC

Hi, we've been cruising to the the southern Caribbean for over a decade, and we have been to a number of great places, and we love the beaches on the far end of the island, especially since the ship didn't leave unit midnight. This trip, the ship departs at 5:00pm; You can't imagine my disappointment! 

Usually Avis doesn't open until 9:00-9:30, and they don't have your car there, sometimes (don't get me started), so you normally don't get on the road until about 10:30. We will need to be back to drop off the car about 3:30 to get back on the ship by 4:30.

That gives us 5 hours in port, plus we will have to gas up the car. 

I don't care for the man made beaches on the southeast side of the pier, and the ones between the mega pier and Bahia Piscadera.

Has anyone had any experience with Kokomo Beach, Pirate Bay Beach, or Bahia Piscadera? How long will it take to get there from the port?

Thanks for your help!

AC

Edited by CaliforniaAC
addition

• CaliforniaAC changed the title to Question about beaches...

I don’t know about those beaches but I have used Advanvce car rental and had a great experience.  Celestino met us just outside the gate and had the car ready.  https://www.advancecarrentalcuracao.com/

We enjoyed Cas Abou.

2 minutes ago, JerryUW said:

I don’t know about those beaches but I have used Advanvce car rental and had a great experience.  Celestino met us just outside the gate and had the car ready. https://www.advancecarrentalcuracao.com/

We enjoyed Cas Abou.

Thanks for the advice! I will check out Advance. I am aware of, and enjoy "island time", but I can't begin on all the stories about Avis. I love Curacao's drivability though, and it's beauty. I looked at Cas Abou, and I was worried about the drive time. 

Take care & happy travels!

I think our ship was cleared to debark around 8am.  Including the time to exit the ship, the walk from the farther pier, finding Celestino outside the gate, checking out the car and then finally driving to Cas Abou…. We were there before 9am.  I think the drive to Cas Abou was around 30 minutes and was easy.  It was the best car rental experience ever.  And , we just returned it right where we picked it up from.  Could not have been easier.  Convenient gas station on the way back too.

Also, we really like BDiving, the on-site scuba/watersports shop at Cas Abou.

Edited by JerryUW

On 7/7/2021 at 12:27 PM, CaliforniaAC said:

Hi, we've been cruising to the the southern Caribbean for over a decade, and we have been to a number of great places, and we love the beaches on the far end of the island, especially since the ship didn't leave unit midnight. This trip, the ship departs at 5:00pm; You can't imagine my disappointment! 

Usually Avis doesn't open until 9:00-9:30, and they don't have your car there, sometimes (don't get me started), so you normally don't get on the road until about 10:30. We will need to be back to drop off the car about 3:30 to get back on the ship by 4:30.

That gives us 5 hours in port, plus we will have to gas up the car. 

I don't care for the man made beaches on the southeast side of the pier, and the ones between the mega pier and Bahia Piscadera.

Has anyone had any experience with Kokomo Beach, Pirate Bay Beach, or Bahia Piscadera? How long will it take to get there from the port?

Thanks for your help!

AC

Bahia Piscadera? Not a place to swim.

Pirate's Bay is small but full service. 

Kokomo is extremely popular as well.

I agree with the poster above, check with Advance (I live here and prior to that had used Avis on a cruise stop here and they, well, yes, issues).

Cas Abou is a fabulous beach if renting from Advance works out.

14 hours ago, CaliforniaAC said:

Thanks for the advice! I will check out Advance. I am aware of, and enjoy "island time", but I can't begin on all the stories about Avis. I love Curacao's drivability though, and it's beauty. I looked at Cas Abou, and I was worried about the drive time. 

Take care & happy travels!

Talked with my husband tonight, Cas Abou would be about 15 minutes further. One question; How do you return the car?

Thanks Jerry!

6 hours ago, bup1224 said:

Bahia Piscadera? Not a place to swim.

Pirate's Bay is small but full service. 

Kokomo is extremely popular as well.

I agree with the poster above, check with Advance (I live here and prior to that had used Avis on a cruise stop here and they, well, yes, issues).

Cas Abou is a fabulous beach if renting from Advance works out.

Thanks for your info! We crossed Bahia Piscadera off the list and added Cas Abou.

The ship is an all-vax, but I'm still bringing the mask. Hoping the restart is well thought out.

Take care,

AC

13 hours ago, CaliforniaAC said:

Talked with my husband tonight, Cas Abou would be about 15 minutes further. One question; How do you return the car?

Thanks Jerry!

We were met across the street from the gate by a representative.  The same place as we picked up the car.  We were back on the ship in approximately 15 minutes afterwards.

• Thanks 1