Art Auction dilema!!

arlanamay

On the last 2 cruises I've been on the Celebration, the art auctions were done by a Carnival employee. I found all 3 of them (2 on first cruise, 1 on second) to be fun, informative, and LOW pressure. I have won some prints and purchased some and have been very pleased with my pieces. All I'm saying is, ban Park West if you choose. (I did before this thread!) But please give the Carnival one's a chance if you are interested in art.

OK, off the soapbox and ready for another update!! Thanks for listening!

I'm so glad to read this! We'll be on the Celebration in 2 weeks so now I'll feel better about the art auction-and I'll behave myself :D

You know - everyday I pass buy the piece that I purchased - I am so happy I bought it. I just love it and would have kicked myself if I had not bought it (then I would be looking at it in my mothers house as she also wanted it!). It can be a good experience - this is such a strange one and I hope that the OP wins! But as with anything - there are Pros and Cons to all. Over all I did find the expereince to be ok. When I was shipped my second print - I found everything to be in order and COA came actually before the picture did. However - now that I think of it I have never received a COA for the Carry Off. Oh Well - it is staying on my wall!

Also, a judge would not look to highly on you trying to keep something that was given to you by mistake. .

Why wouldn't a judge look highly at her, she got what she bid on and paid for. There was no mistake.

No judge would order her to give back what THEY sold her. It's not like they sent her the wrong picture, they gave it to her at the end of the auction to bring back to her cabin.

Do you think once you got you pic home and found out it's not worth what you paid they would give you back your money, no way.

The only thing the company could do is try to deal with you for the picture but the balls in your court.

Just enjoy your picture.

I'm an idiot. The Supreme Court of the United States just ordered the country of Austria to return 300 million dollars worth of art to the descendants of holocaust victims.

Geez. Not $300.

Art that was taken from Holocaust victims is a whole different story. This is a auction house who might have sold the painting for less than it's worth. You can't compare the two.

I'd bet the starting price should have been $1500 not $150.

I think I'm going to start writing down my conversations with Jessie at Park West. I know she is doing what her supervisors told her but when I feel like my case is weak I think about her calling last week stating that I didn't need to send the painting back but send photos so they could identify it and send me the right COA. I know now it was a ploy. Boy oh boy I wish I had never called them in the first place. An earlier post is possibly correct in that they either have or would have sold the lithograph they thought they were selling for a very high price.

I have an answering machine which will also allow me to record a conversation. I would suggest getting a cheap one of these, and tell them that they are being recorded the next time they call.

I was also wondering if you had posted the picture on the web? I would be interested to see the picture that started this thread.

Or at least give of the name of it so we can google it! :p
This was post# 38 in this thread:
The artist's name is Andrew Francis and the painting is called Journey #57..It's 17x22.5 and looks like it's on paper. It has a lady sitting at a table with the ocean (which has sail boats) by her. She's reading a postcard and on the table is a camera and a piece of chocolate cake. She is dressed in 1920's style clothing complete with hat.
I didn't have any luck finding a picture of it, but if you do please post a link!

John

I have an answering machine which will also allow me to record a conversation. I would suggest getting a cheap one of these, and tell them that they are being recorded the next time they call.
In some states you don't even have to tell the other party that you are recording them. You may want to check for your state. Although I'm not sure how you would find out - maybe contact your local police station or DA's office.

In some states you don't even have to tell the other party that you are recording them. You may want to check for your state. Although I'm not sure how you would find out - maybe contact your local police station or DA's office.

That's true. In Minnesota only one party to the conversation needs to agree to have it taped. Since you are one of the parties....go ahead and tape the conversations and don't tell them. If you can't use them (if it becomes necessary) then you haven't lost anything.

This was post# 38 in this thread: I didn't have any luck finding a picture of it, but if you do please post a link!

Thanks, sorry somehow I missed that post. Anyway, I can't find that particular piece but I did find this link to some of his other work. http://www.postershop.com/Francis-Andrew-k.html&Partnerid=2922

Just the frame is amazing!!! Please don't worry about the "invoicing" crap they are giving you. I am an accountant and invoice every day for our company. There is a contract between buyer and seller and if I make an error when invoicing or the client makes an error in payment the contract backs up the amount it should have been. The price of the work (or goods) in your case remains the same. You had a contract for $150.00, you paid $150.00. No more discussion. We cannot as contractors go back to a customer and tell them that we made a mistake and need more money because one of our estimators made a mistake in our original price. DO NOT GIVE THEM THE PAINTING.

We leave on the Conquest on Sunday and if Park West is involved, I will make sure my tablemates and fellow cruisers know of their dishonesty.

I would think it is like any auction, we bid on and old dusty music table that had claw legs. We got it home had a refinisher take a look at it and said you have a sold mahogany hand carved table from about 1798! He would even touch it, we took it to a professional dealer and they only cleaned it and it is a beauty. We paid $75.00 for it and onky 2 bids were given. Either the sellers did not know what they had (it was a great aunt estate sale) or the auctionier was not the best antique dealer around. We were 150 miles from where we got it and did not turn around to return it. It was sold fair and square. You see this kind of thing all the time on the Antique Road Show. Keep your painting, it's art, it's what you liked, and if it's worth 150.00 or 1,500,000. or 1.50 it's yours and will be a great story for year to come.

This thread just keeps getting better and better. One of the most interesting I have ever read. Thanks for posting the picture of your painting. I can see why you like it,and bid on it. I know very little about art,only what I like. If I like something,it doesn't matter to me if its worth $15 or thousands. I like this picture of yours. If it turns out to be worth a lot of money,good for you.If it doesn't,then you still have a lovely piece hanging on your wall. :)

Archived