How long would you allow for flights from LHR for checking in etc?

les37b

I'm always a punctual (early!!) passenger and always have been to avoid any stress for unexpected delays on the roads or whatever. I'd usually aim to give myself 3 hours on arrival in the car park to allow for check in and transfers so be at checking at least 2.15 hours prior to flying. But.................

That was then, this is now. I've no idea what the new protocols will be at the check in desk, through security and Passport Control and at the gates.

Has anyone flown from LHR recently with an insight of what goes on, what's checked and where (covid wise)  and generally what is a comfortable amount of time to arrive for a 10.50 departure.

When are you flying? 

I am flying out of LHR on 31/7 to Iceland so can give you first hand experience after that. 

We are booked on the the 7:05 am departure so was planning on driving into the short stay car park for T5 meet and greet by 5:30am at the latest after a 90 minute drive. 

Not aware of any additional steps at the departure airport other than to wear masks. Therefore, the shorter period time the better. 

9 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

When are you flying? 

I am flying out of LHR on 31/7 to Iceland so can give you first hand experience after that. 

We are booked on the the 7:05 am departure so was planning on driving into the short stay car park for T5 meet and greet by 5:30am at the latest after a 90 minute drive. 

Not aware of any additional steps at the departure airport other than to wear masks. Therefore, the shorter period time the better. 

Sat 24 July @ 10.50 (Malta) ... I can advise you! lol

I would definitely not be arriving at the car park at 5.30am for a 7.05am departure.... at any time! Though its safe to say, you should breeze though Security after you've sorted check in. I'd want to be at Check in by 5am so Meet and Great for 4.15.

As I said... I hate to get stressed over this stuff and always allow myself extra time. Again, if you are on the M25, at that time in the morning, it should be fine. Planning to arrive at 8 for mine, is smack bang in a peak travel time...

I very nearly booked the Iceland one, looks great. Nothing new for me port wise on mine.... apart from the ship which looks fantastic and a bargain price apart from the flight supp. No single supp on this one too!

I will look out to see how you get on. Hopefully somebody else on some of the earlier LHR departures will be able to post to assist you. 

I will almost certainly arrive earlier than I planned as we often don’t sleep that well when due to travel and with a 4:00am departure from our home in the Cotswolds, we have to watch out for M40 overnight road closures that can catch us out, but at least we can check these on line. 

Great news about lack of single room supplements on the Malta cruises. It’s so good to be back travelling again soon. 

We visited the Isles of Scilly a few weeks ago for a week and that felt like a foreign trip too. 

Safe travels! 

8 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

I will look out to see how you get on. Hopefully somebody else on some of the earlier LHR departures will be able to post to assist you. 

I will almost certainly arrive earlier than I planned as we often don’t sleep that well when due to travel and with a 4:00am departure from our home in the Cotswolds, we have to watch out for M40 overnight road closures that can catch us out, but at least we can check these on line. 

Great news about lack of single room supplements on the Malta cruises. It’s so good to be back travelling again soon. 

We visited the Isles of Scilly a few weeks ago for a week and that felt like a foreign trip too. 

Safe travels! 

Thank you.... And I will be sure to post if the process was any different to normal.

Just a bit concerned goal posts don't get moved again re entry to Malta. At the moment it's double vaccination only and no need for a PCR test to get it. Fingers crossed our rates don't increased and we get locked out.

If I'd seen those Scilly isles cruises, I'd have been on one. This will be my first time on Viking and certainly impressed with the YT videos I saw.

22 hours ago, les37b said:

Has anyone flown from LHR recently with an insight of what goes on, what's checked and where (covid wise)  and generally what is a comfortable amount of time to arrive for a 10.50 departure.

I presume you're flying with Air Malta, we are on the 10.50 flight on 30/8.  I'll be very interested to hear how you go on, though with way infections are rising I'm not convinced our cruise will happen.

2 hours ago, les37b said:

Thank you.... And I will be sure to post if the process was any different to normal.

Just a bit concerned goal posts don't get moved again re entry to Malta. At the moment it's double vaccination only and no need for a PCR test to get it. Fingers crossed our rates don't increased and we get lockeJustd out.

If I'd seen those Scilly isles cruises, I'd have been on one. This will be my first time on Viking and certainly impressed with the YT videos I saw.

Just in case you weren't aware - Only certificates showing the vaccine used is one approved by the European Medicines Agency will be accepted. Those arriving having had vaccinations not EMA approved will be required to quarantine for 14 days. Entry will not be allowed if the vaccine batch on your certificate is from one of the following: 4120Z001, 4120Z002, 4120Z003. We are clarifying with the Maltese authorities why these have been deemed not valid for entry.   From the gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/malta page

9 hours ago, iancb said:

I presume you're flying with Air Malta, we are on the 10.50 flight on 30/8.  I'll be very interested to hear how you go on, though with way infections are rising I'm not convinced our cruise will happen.

Yes it's the Air Malta flight.

People think it's over and rates are indeed rising.

I'm even concerned for my virgin cruise on 9 August with 6 of us travelling. One of us is bound to catch!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Strangford said:

Just in case you weren't aware - Only certificates showing the vaccine used is one approved by the European Medicines Agency will be accepted. Those arriving having had vaccinations not EMA approved will be required to quarantine for 14 days. Entry will not be allowed if the vaccine batch on your certificate is from one of the following: 4120Z001, 4120Z002, 4120Z003. We are clarifying with the Maltese authorities why these have been deemed not valid for entry.   From the gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/malta page

They will the Brexit variant I suspect.

Batches of AZ made in India. Luckily mine is Pfizer, so won't be a problem.

We're on the 9am BA flight from Terminal 5 on 24th July. The flight is practically empty. I presume that Viking used Air Malta for flights in the first instance.

This latest news report from the BBC at Heathrow terminal 5 is very worrying. Over 100 staff abscent due to covid isolation.

BBC Heathrow Terminal 5 Chaos

We're staying at the Hilton at Terminal 2 the night before, so we intend to get in line as early as possible. Of course, that's if we actually get to enter Malta. Have everything crossed that all goes to plan.