Boarding denied for NOT bringing a CPAP?!

June Bug

It seems a bit draconian to cancel a cruise for not filling out the questionnaire, especially if it can be filled out at the port. It also seems draconian to boot someone from a cruise because they don't have their CPAP machine.

On 7/22/2021 at 4:03 PM, Cherries Jubilee said:

Did anyone ask John Heald to elaborate on this story? Just telling us that Cpap machines are allowed won’t prevent this from happening again. This one is important.

As I understand it, that is NOT what Heald said. He said that Oxygen concentrators are currently not allowed to be boarded or used. And, his sense was that this was a potentially temporary policy. And, he provided no corporate rational or wisdom behind the policy change. Cruise on!

On 7/22/2021 at 5:58 PM, roguebandit1441 said:

I'm on a BIPAP and can not even take a nap without it. We always use bottle water when traveling,  and if not mistaken the water on board a ship is distilled sea water then filtered and reverse osmosis. Safe to use from the tap, you just don't want to use hard water or water that may have bacteria In it.

BIPAP users are explicitly tied to using their machines whenever sleeping. When I first was a CPAP user more than 2 decades ago, my  apnea was not severe as it is today. BIPAP basically a personal, portable, ventilator system controlling air flow both on inhale and exhale. I never leave behind when traveling, and always use at any interval that I sleep (nap or not). Anyone fully diagnosed, that has a BIPAP as part of their medical treatment, would be insane to skip its use whenever sleeping. Especially true, IMO, after years of use and conditioning whenever asleep.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Youyoyotoo said:

As I understand it, that is NOT what Heald said. He said that Oxygen concentrators are currently not allowed to be boarded or used. And, his sense was that this was a potentially temporary policy. And, he provided no corporate rational or wisdom behind the policy change. Cruise on!

All well and good but the passenger didn't have her CPAP so the rationale fails as a reason for disembarking her.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 2:40 PM, sparks1093 said:

It seems a bit draconian to cancel a cruise for not filling out the questionnaire, especially if it can be filled out at the port. It also seems draconian to boot someone from a cruise because they don't have their CPAP machine.

Risk management. If you don't want Carnival up in your business, medically speaking, don't tell them you need one and then you can either bring it or not without raising any suspicions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Computer Nerd said:

Risk management. If you don't want Carnival up in your business, medically speaking, don't tell them you need one and then you can either bring it or not without raising any suspicions.

Yup,less info is better in this aspect

Thank you Youyoyotoo!!!  My husband is in sleep medicine and you described the bipap perfectly (cpap and bipap are the common machines most are prescribed and have nothing to do with actual oxygen concentrators).   More than likely,  because of the possible alert use of the machine on the health form and more than likely requested distilled water (can use regular tap water when traveling), the cruise line knew (anything stated on medical form is alert status).  If the cruise line brought the distilled water bottles to the cabin and the person mentioned she did not bring machine so did not need the water, another possible alert. Cruise line figures if it was worthy of a mention on the health form then it must be needed and if needed but not brought could run a liability risk somewhere in the fine print.  

BTW, for all of you that believe the cpap is not a requirement every time you sleep are fooling yourselves.  My husband has had patients die in their sleep due to apnea (at one time was referred to as natural causes but now they know better) because someone choose not to use the machine that one time.  You probably need to educate yourself a little more if you were actually diagnosed by a doctor and issued a machine but dont believe you need it all the time.  

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Drazil65 said:

My husband has had patients die in their sleep due to apnea (at one time was referred to as natural causes but now they know better)

Unless stuck a stake in their heart at the same time as the sleep apnea occurred, it's still dying of "natural" causes.

Every time I check in for my cruises they have to go see a supervisor regarding my CPAP.  Sometimes the supervisor even comes over and ensures that I have it with me.  I think in her case she forgot to take it but I am surprised she wasn't questioned about it during check-in.

19 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Very true.