18 Year Old Drinking Age

nickervin

At your age, you will probably not find it difficult to enjoy an adult beverage. On shore in port, it is unlikely you will be asked for any ID. Many (most) countries do not have the attitude we do here towards alcohol.

When I was 18 it was legal to drink in the US, but times have changed. When my grandparents were 18 it was illegal to drink it at any age. Man, do we have kooky laws here or what?

We went to a beach in Cozumel, and got a bunch of Dos Equis. Gave one to my 10 year old son - I know - I'm a baaaaaaaaadddddddd parent. :D He only took about 4 sips of it.

We got home, and he went grocery shopping with the DW. I asked her to pick me up some beer, expecting a 12 pack of Miller Light. Nope - son INSISTED on a 6 pack of Dos Equis! It's still the only beer he ever asks for a sip of!

OK, please ignore me and don't take offense as this probably doesn't specifically apply to anyone here, but ....

In my opinion, choosing a cruiseline only for the drinking age idiotic. A) On most cruiselines, you have to be 21 to book, so you are either going to have to sneak booze or have parental permission anyway - and if they don't care, they can simply buy it for you and no one will say a word B) most caribbean ports of call will sell liquor to almost anyone, so you can get it then, and C) Drinking on a cruise is EXPENSIVE.

We went to a beach in Cozumel, and got a bunch of Dos Equis. Gave one to my 10 year old son - I know - I'm a baaaaaaaaadddddddd parent. :D He only took about 4 sips of it.

We got home, and he went grocery shopping with the DW. I asked her to pick me up some beer, expecting a 12 pack of Miller Light. Nope - son INSISTED on a 6 pack of Dos Equis! It's still the only beer he ever asks for a sip of!

How sad.:(

Relax ;)

The national drinking age in the US is 18, If you are in the military ( or at least this was true when I was in the military in 79 ) even in a state where the drinking age was 21, and 18 year old with military ID could have beer or wine on a military base, including in the bar. ( I agree if you are old enough to die fighting for your country, then .... have a beer )

On a Cruise line that is more than 20 miles off the coast, you are in international waters.

It is perfectly ok for a cruise line to fall to the 18 age, or not, as they prefer.

Now it is a whole lot more important for a 19 or 20 year old to know they can have a drink than it is for the rest of us. They are on a ship, they are not driving endangering the rest of us.

Relax...

Ahhhh - that's what I thought.

Somewhat Italian upbringing here. Not uncommon for children to have a glass of wine with dinner. Certainly not uncommon to give a child a taste. Takes the mystery out of it. When I was in college, everyone drank heavy, right up until they hit 21, then it wasn't fun anymore.

Notice I did say sip, and when he was in Cozumel, we were watching exactly what he was drinking. 4 sips. I got the rest - backwash and all.

Bring it on. Flame away. Seems to be a pretty common occurance around here.

Relax ;)

The national drinking age in the US is 18, If you are in the military ( or at least this was true when I was in the military in 79 ) even in a state where the drinking age was 21, and 18 year old with military ID could have beer or wine on a military base, including in the bar. ( I agree if you are old enough to die fighting for your country, then .... have a beer )

On a Cruise line that is more than 20 miles off the coast, you are in international waters.

It is perfectly ok for a cruise line to fall to the 18 age, or not, as they prefer.

Now it is a whole lot more important for a 19 or 20 year old to know they can have a drink than it is for the rest of us. They are on a ship, they are not driving endangering the rest of us.

Relax...

Actually, the national suggeted age is 21. Meaning states that don't enforce the 21 will lose their fed government highway money. Most states now recognize the 21 age, but some have a few exemptions.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/LegalDrinkingAge.html

Rationalize it any way you wish. He's your child.

BTW, I'm a Louisiana Cajun, was married to a full-blooded Italian for 35 years, and we did not allow our children to have wine or any other alcoholic beverage with dinner, so the 'heritage' thing doesn't cut it.

I don't consider this flaming. You posted something you obviously thought was really cute and funny. You should expect comments. That's all from me.

BTW, I'm a Louisiana Cajun, was married to a full-blooded Italian for 35 years, and we did not allow our children to have wine or any other alcoholic beverage with dinner, so the 'heritage' thing doesn't cut it.

I don't consider this flaming. You posted something you obviously thought was really cute and funny. You should expect comments. That's all from me.

"You should expect comments. That's all from me."

IMO, a better statement would be, you should expect judgment. That's all from me.

My take on it, 10 is probably a little young to be sipping beer but MOST of us were treated to a few sips of some type of alcohol by the time we were 13. I remember my first sip of alcohol, it was Mogan David communion wine.;)

Relax ;)

Relax...

On stateside military installations, the legal drinking age for soldiers and civilians alike is 21. It is very rigidly enforced as well.

The notion that a person can die for their country, but not have a beer, is repulsive to me. However, it is what it is.

Somewhat Italian upbringing here. Not uncommon for children to have a glass of wine with dinner. Certainly not uncommon to give a child a taste. Takes the mystery out of it. When I was in college, everyone drank heavy, right up until they hit 21, then it wasn't fun anymore.

Notice I did say sip, and when he was in Cozumel, we were watching exactly what he was drinking. 4 sips. I got the rest - backwash and all.

Bring it on. Flame away. Seems to be a pretty common occurance around here.

My wife's a Brit, and she thinks somewhat like that. If you take away the mystique of alcohol, it's not a big deal when they're teens. I'll go along with that.

I actually think it was funny and cute, my grandfather also gave me little sips of his Old Milwaukee, I didn't turn into a alcoholic neither did my brother or sister. BTW Dos Equis, is my 2nd beer of choice.

I actually think it was funny and cute, my grandfather also gave me little sips of his Old Milwaukee, I didn't turn into a alcoholic neither did my brother or sister. BTW Dos Equis, is my 2nd beer of choice.

Yes, but the poster in question didn't give his 10 y.o a few sips. He said he gave him a bottle of beer. The kid happened to take only a few sips on his own. We don't really know what the guy would have done if the kid had drank the whole beer as offered.

There are many variables as to why someone becomes an alcoholic. I don't believe that offering it to young people early on necessarily prevents them from becoming one later. There are certainly many horror stories from child actors and regular joes who were given free reign to drink at an early age. The booze didn't always lose its "mystique" by this method.

It's an individual thing, IMHO. Every family has at least one, so I don't think anyone has the right answer.

That certainly was not true in California where the drinking age is 21 but on the military bases beer and wine can be served to 18 year olds.

In 1979, maybe. In 1998 when I retired from the Army, it was definitely the case, and enforced Army wide. I doubt that anything has changed either.

If that changed I am appalled and disgusted.

Especially in the light that it is legal at 18 in some states.

I am not correcting you, this was how it was, and to my mind how it should be.

I agree. To ask someone to possibly die for their country, but tell them that they can't have a beer is pathetic.

The national drinking age in the US is 18, If you are in the military ( or at least this was true when I was in the military in 79 ) even in a state where the drinking age was 21, and 18 year old with military ID could have beer or wine on a military base, including in the bar.

We own a microbrewery and it has a bar (tasting room). I know the alcohol laws. I will not serve a military guy or gal unless they are 21 and I don't care what kind of ID they show me. I think it's great they are fighting for their country, but I will not break the law and serve them a beer.

Hey, you attributed that quote as being from ME......! That wasn't my quote but was "Smith's" comments. I obviously would never have said that. Good grief.....If you're going to use quotes, please do it correctly.:eek:

Archived