St. Petersburg Docking

Floater67

45 minutes ago, Floater67 said:

Is anyone able to identify where Viking ships usually dock in St. Petersburg, Russia? Just trying to anticipate options for Homelands cruise in May 2022. Thanks.

Subject to the Harbourmaster, but most likely at the Cruise Terminal outside town, out by the new football stadium.

• Like 1

This is where we docked in 2016 and I have seen more recent reports that also docked there.  We did an off ship excursion that met us in the terminal the both days and delivered us back on time.  Much cheaper than the Viking options.  With doing the Viking options, most will begin and start at the ship so that will take more traveling time in the day.

On 7/25/2021 at 9:32 AM, Dauntless said:

This is where we docked in 2016 and I have seen more recent reports that also docked there.  We did an off ship excursion that met us in the terminal the both days and delivered us back on time.  Much cheaper than the Viking options.  With doing the Viking options, most will begin and start at the ship so that will take more traveling time in the day.

We did the same thing with a private tour company, Red October.  Six of us in a van with a driver and tour guide, who was a history professor.  In two days we saw a lot.  Each night we were dropped off at the ship.   Simply fantastic !

We haven't been to St. P in a while, and we weren't on Viking when we went.  But just as a heads up, when we were there, it took longer than usual to get off the ship and on our way.  Russian authorities had booths set up in the port terminal and each person had to present a passport and if needed, evidence of touring with a company like Red October or Alla, or a visa to tour on his/her own.  In other words, the authorities didn't clear the ship electronically, and they didn't come on the ship to clear it as many ports/countries do.  So it took time, and created a long line on the ship to get off, which on Oceania is rather unusual.  I'm not sure if Russia is still clearing cruise ships that way, but if so, I would suggest NOT waiting until the last minute to get in line to go off the ship on the first morning, especially if you're meeting for a third party tour guide (Red October, Alla, etc.)   Our group ended up being sent off to its first stop while someone stayed at the port to wait for a few latecomers.  The second day, however, was much easier/faster.  

And as for where we docked, all I remember was passing a large, old abandoned fort on an island, with a lighthouse, which of course I had to photograph!

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea