Viking Air: Possible to Upgrade from Business Class to First (if available)

DFWJohnny

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share. My wife and I have paid for both Viking Air and business class airfare for an upcoming Christmas Markets river cruise. Has anyone been able to upgrade using air miles (American AAdvantage) on British Air (a One World partner)? I know upgrading is not allowed from economy or premium economy to business class because of the ticket-class restriction. I did not know if a similar prohibition might exist for upgrading from business class to first on British Air. Again, thank you for any counsel you can offer!

Edited by DFWJohnny

Thank you. I'd read in a July 2020 online article (below) that it was possible to use AAdvantage miles on British Airways if there was an American Airlines flight in the itinerary. That will likely be true for us in a multi-leg journey to Amsterdam from DFW and, thus, my question above to see if anyone had successfully done it with the help of Viking Air. (I'd ask Viking Air directly, but they request that one does not contact them until 60 days prior to departure and we're still 120+ days out.)

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/12/how-to-upgrade-british-airways-flights-using-american-airlines-miles-5/

As noted in my first post, I understand the possibility of ticket-class restrictions (also addressed in the online article above).

Again, thanks for replying!

Edited by DFWJohnny

AAdvantage allows you to upgrade from one class of service to the next on British Airways using AAdvantage miles provided the underlying fare (the one you paid) is a full fare category, i.e. Y (economy) or J (business.)

Just for reference, a round trip ticket in J class on British Airways between DFW and Amsterdam has a base price - before taxes and fees - of US$12,800.  In Y class (economy) it's $5716.  

9 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

AAdvantage allows you to upgrade from one class of service to the next on British Airways using AAdvantage miles provided the underlying fare (the one you paid) is a full fare category, i.e. Y (economy) or J (business.)

Just for reference, a round trip ticket in J class on British Airways between DFW and Amsterdam has a base price - before taxes and fees - of US$12,800.  In Y class (economy) it's $5716.  

And I really don't think that Viking air would have passengers booked into a full-fare Y or J ticket.