Are sweats acceptable

luvocean9

I noticed that the clothes people wore on tours and on the ship during the day tended to be more casual and warm. I think sweats would be fine, my husband wore his, but I wouldn't let him take his really ratty looking ones. By dinner time though, everyone was back to looking nice. We would never wear sweats into the dining room though, even for lunch, so we stayed in the buffet. Just our preference.

My wife and I wore wind suits nearly all the time, both on the ship and on excursions. Sometimes it was too cold on the ship to wear just the wind suit by itself and we had to layer up. We were on NCL which is pretty laid back anyway, but we did wear what they call resort casual in the main dining room. That meant khaki pants and collared shirt for me and some type of pant suit for her. I don't really know about the fleece stuff, maybe someone else will have the answer for that.

I don't want to start something that would cause people to bicker, but in reading this chart I'm struck with the thought that we might be "over dressing" for the occasion. When we cruise we look at the cruise literature and pack clothes according to what we see in the photos. That is easy and not at all uncomfortable for us because we usually dress that way when out and about here in Virginia Beach. However, with the weather being unpredictable, are the pictures in the brochures "over dressed" for the Alaska experience. We read in a travel book that the typical Alaska local wears jeans, sweatshirts, and boots. We could easily do that instead of sweaters and slacks if that is what most people will be wearing on while on the ship. We never wear sweats in public (with the exception of going to and from the gym) but if that is the norm it might be fun to kick back and wear them while on board (it would make packing easier). We've already decided that the tux will be left at home and a black suit will be taken for formal nights as well as taking only one black ball gown with jacket one night and shawl the other night to lighten the suitcases.

Those who post on this (Alaska) thread are such considerate people that I expect to be told (nicely) to wear what we want to wear. I'd prefer to hear examples of what some of you observed the majority of people wearing while cruising Alaska (and on shore excursions).

Again, please don't think I'm trying to create a problem, it would be helpful to simple hear some percentages. Thank you.

I don't see how it matter what you wear when except for in the dining room at dinner. That seems to be the only time that there is a specific dressing policy. I don't own any sweats so I plan on wearing jeans with sweaters, fleece, jackets, etc. We will dress up for dinner only and be in jeans the rest of the time.

Our two experiences have been that in port, days were in the 60-70 degree range and normal dress was O.K. There have even been days where t-shirts and shorts were comfortable. I know it all depends on the weather at the time though, and it could me much colder than that. When you're cruising and not in port, especially around the glaciers, it does get very cold on the decks, and you will definately want warmer or layered clothing. On both of our cruises to Alaska we took our ski jackets and they were needed on several of the days at sea.

We cruised to Alaska in September and it was pretty cold the whole time. Skagway was the coldest and very windy. I wore my thermals under my clothes both on the ship and off, and I wore a lightweight jacket on the ship. We had a lot of rain, so rain gear might be something to consider depending on when you are going. Since we sailed on Celebrity, jeans are never allowed in the dining room, even for lunch, so we either ate in the buffet, or changed clothes to eat in the dining room. Dinner found people nicely dressed for the most part, there were those exceptions to what some people considered formal, and it didn't bother me. I took a lot more clothes to Alaska than any place else, and I did wear most of it, usually layering. But I'm from Los Angeles and I'm always cold if it's under 70 degrees.;)

Archived