What to take?

ms_mom_1965

Ok there are lots of threads with lists, BUT....if you have a balcony, bring binoculars, wish someone had told me to do that 3 cruises ago.:)

Also any and all medication you might need...

Check out the lists as previous poster suggested...

Have a great cruise!

MAO

Dry erase markers (you can write on a mirror with a dry erase marker and it comes right off) or sticky notes so that you can leave each other messages on times to meet and other agendas etc.

Those over the door hanging compartments for the bathroom door. You can put toothbrush and paste and deodorant and that kind of stuff in there upon arrival. It's very difficult to keep all that out considering there isn't any room!

Water proof watches for EVERYONE! This is a must. There aren't any clocks anywhere which makes it very relaxing, however when there are activities you want to go to and miss you will be very dissapointed.

Loads of sunscreen. You won't realize how much you need until you decide to spend the day at a port beach or an excersion. You don't want to be the tomatoe of the ship!

That's all I can think of for now. Have a great trip!

Thermal mug - I never travel without it!

Travel Alarm Clock - I don;t wear a watch but I have a thinf, credit card sized travel alarm (can be purchased at Walmart and the like for very few $$) which is great because you can use it in the cabin and it also fits neatly and easily into a bag.

Post it notes - great for leaving message to cabin companions as well as the room steward.

Highlighter Pen - I love to mark up the Capers in the morning over coffee. Makes it easy to see the activities you were interested in and then you can make the decision easily throughout the day as to what you are actually going to do!

Singles - It is so much easier to deal with tips throughout your voyage when you are well equipped with plenty of single dollar bills.

Good comfy beach bag - I have a great bag by Speedo which is nylon with drawstings and a mesh area in the front. Can be worn as a backpack or over the shoulder. I have used these on all of my cruises.

Comfortable dancing shoes!!

Lots of sunscreen and a good long brimmed hat! I have this dorky long brimmed baseball style cap which I can wear while reading in a lounge chair etc. The sun out there is stong and need to protect yourself!

Thats what I can think of as really important to me on a cruise at the moment.

The most important...

Fun - whatever you find along the way...go with your journey and have fun!!

A couple of my favorite items to take are the shoe holder that velcros around the hanger rod. I put all my shoes and sandals in there and usually have room for a few other items too.

The other one is a small plastic holder with suction cups on it. I use it in the shower to hold my razor - works great.

Happy packing.

Diane

I take two pieces of sturdy cardboard to keep the photos we purchase on board from getting bent in our suitcases. The bubble wrap is an excellent idea to re-wrap any breakables you purchase on your trip. We found most shops in port will wrap breakables in huge amounts of paper making them cumbersome to pack.

Travel Alarm Clock - I don;t wear a watch but I have a thinf, credit card sized travel alarm (can be purchased at Walmart and the like for very few $$) which is great because you can use it in the cabin and it also fits neatly and easily into a bag.

Most cell phones have an alarm clock feature. I use mine everyday as my alarm clock. It saves you from having to pack a clock.

I can't say enough about the over the door shoe bag thingy! We traveled with our two teenaged daughters... it kept the bathroom wonderfullly manageable! We put shampoo, razors, soap in the row next to the shower and you could just reach over, use what you needed, and stick it back in. Uncluttered shower!

Sunscreen, hat... you'd be surprised at how strong the sun is. And definitely a sweater or pashmina for the evenings... it's nippy in the inside public areas!

And for a really fun book to read on the cruise.. "Skinny Dip" by Carl Hiaasen. It's about a husband who tried to kill his wife on a cruise ship, failed.. and she doesn't get mad... she gets even. The irony was a hoot!

Most cell phones have an alarm clock feature. I use mine everyday as my alarm clock. It saves you from having to pack a clock.

When out at sea there is no cell service so this will not work. Additionally, when you are in port and do have service the phone clock will be on local time which is not usually the same as ship time which could cause problems.... :o

Better to have a travel alarm clock or a watch...Personally, I never wear a watch and I prefer the small clock. Mine is not much bigger than a credit card, has a flip out stand for setting on the nightstand next to the bed and a light for easy reading.

When out at sea there is no cell service so this will not work.

Not necessarily true.. My cell phone alarm clock worked.

I do wish I'd taken about 1/2 the clothes... We were told in advance that if at all possible we should carry our own suitcases off the ship because the debark part can be a nightmare... we were off the ship before they'd even called our luggage tag color to come to the luggage carousel circus. I packed light but still had a suitcase of clothes I didn't get to.

Also wish I'd taken:

* extra hangers, there were some, not enough... but that could be because, again, I'd taken double the clothes I needed!!!

* nightlight (we had an inside room and it was mighty dark)

* extra outlet

* big thermal mug

* dirty clothes (I mean I did wear SOME of the mounds of clothes I took!!) bag

I highly suggest that "IF" you are drinkers you take a mug, your own spirit, and purchase a fountain card. We did all but the spirit and we boarded the ship at 11:30 a.m. and by Tuesday a.m. our bill was already over $700:eek: So we found a place in Grand Cayman that would let us bring our spirits back on so we did and our bill hardly moved the rest of the week.

--V

Large ziploc bags are good for many things such as bringing home wet swimsuits or dirty shoes.

Clothespins to put on the bottom of the shower curtain. It will help hold it in place.

Also, I was glad that I saved each day's Capers and Camp Carnival sheets. They were useful to remember what we did and great to remind you of things if you plan on writing a review to share.

I TOTALLY agree with the theory of bringin HALF of what you THINK you need. We packed lots of shorts/shirts for at sea days and literally ended up spending the entire day in swimsuits and cover-ups. Will also be "mixing and matching" outfits for dinners next time.

travel alarm clock

thermal mugs (that sun melts ice in a flash and warms ANYTHING that's supposed to be cold)

natural water pills (my friend's and my feet got really swollen)

lanyards for S&S

large memory card for digital camera

small, wallet-sized collapsable folder for itinerary/flight print outs, info on excursions, receipts from S&S account transactions, phone numbers, stamps, excursion tickets, etc.

cell phone (we didn't use it in port, but when we were nearly an HOUR from when our flight was supposed to take OFF, and still in LINE to get off the boat, it sure came in handy to be on with the airline and switch flights)

extension cord

all the other things I brought (from those arm-long lists that are circulating on here) I didn't even open, let alone use.

Definitely taking the binoculars. That is one thing we forgot on our first cruise that would've been great to have.

Funny how everyone keeps talking of taking too many clothes...we never found that to be the case. Maybe because we travel alot and are used to wearing things more than once. Not sure, but it wasn't a problem for us.

Somebody mentioned the extension cord, but I want to emphasize it. There's usually only one outlet. Most people have camera chargers and other electronics and need more outlets. I bring a small power strip.

It is a good idea to take aloe, just in case you get too much sun. Take a disenfectant spray and spray everything in your room down when you first get there...you don't know who was there before and what "germies" they may have had, don't get sick on your vacation. Also, a travel size of hand sanitizer is a good idea especially in port...some of those stops did not have the best restroom facilities. I know this is starting to sound obsessive/compulsive but also take the Airbourne medication. If you start taking it a few days before you leave and continue to take it while you are on vacation you should have a pretty good immunity to anything that may go around amongst fellow travelers. A few other good ideas is a neck wallet, the plastic ones work nicely when you are trying to carry credit cards, sail and sign, ID, etc. to keep them safe and dry.

Archived