Solo first time MSC cruiser (Meraviglia) - a few questions

Cruise Gopher

I am thinking of booking one of the upcoming 3 day Meraviglia cruises as a solo cruiser since the prices are so cheap for a balcony. I have a few questions since this would be my first time on MSC (but have sailed on many cruises on other lines). 

Boarding Time - I plan to work in the morning and then just drive to the port to board the ship. If I get assigned like a noon boarding time, would it be ok if I just waited and boarded later in the afternoon maybe around 4pm? (Sailing time is 7pm and checkin closes at 5pm)

Dining as a solo - is main dining room all assigned seating and I’d be sat with other people? Or do they have a flex dining in the MDR where I could just ask for a table by myself? Is the buffet good for dinner?

Any other tips for a first time MSC cruiser to make sure I know what I’m getting into and make the most of my time on the short cruise?

My experiences, on two MSC cruises:

I boarded within the last hour of check-in and there was no problem. Not even a mention by the staff member. Of course, you're taking a risk if you cut it close.

MDR is all assigned seating, and most tables are large. There were no solo tables on either of my cruises, and very few tables of two --- and certainly none available. The buffet is mediocre. 

Generally, MSC food is acceptable but not great. Shows tend to be a collection of the same performers with different themes. In my experience, the shows lean towards music only...so as to appeal to the  international clientele. 

I think a three day cruise would be an excellent introduction to MSC. Even if you dislike it, you're not stuck for long.

I would close by noting than both my MSC cruises were European, and I've heard that their cruises out of the USA are tailored to American tastes. 

LPD

I too am cruising solo on 8/30/21 from Miami on the meraviglia. I have travel with MSC from Barcelona and the ship is so beautiful and clean. I could not pass up getting a balcony for the price of an inside...as well as no surcharge for single occupancy. Happy to hang out if you choose to go!

The documents say you have a one hour window to board.

I cruised 8/6 and sat alone at the MDR every night and didn't have to request that.

The shows as well as all the cruise directors announcement were all in English.

Edited by Hey Tina
  • Like 1