Fat girls needs cruise advice

DebraAnn

Me and my sister are going on the Grandeur in a few weeks. I've read so much on the boards about the beds on RCCL...someone said they were like cots. My questions is are they sturdy? I mean, i tell myself "of course fat people have been on RCCL before", and i'm not quite as big as my sister, but she's over 300 lbs. I'm not so worried, but she is completely freaking out. I tell her not to worry, i'm sure people over 300 lbs have been on RCCL before and she'll be fine, but she's really freaking out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cots is stretching it, they're sturdy beds. The beds are low, but the frame is heavy. I weigh 220 and had no problems. We met some women at our table where 1 was definately over 300. They had no issues with the beds. I hope you get table 176 and that Mate and Balazs are your waiters! Balazs can whistle like a canary! Have fun!

If the shower it too small, can't a person go to the gym showers. I hear they have a better shower anyway! Might just go myself!! I am not quite 300 before we board, but might be after we get off ;)

I am 5'10" 280 lbs and had no real problem with the shower on the Vision.

I was around 250 on our last cruise Oct. 2005 and had no problems in either the bed or the shower. Plenty of room and the bed was comfy. There were many people much larger than me on the cruises we've been on and don't seem to be having any problems. Some chairs may be problems but most places had armless chairs so if you're bigger that'll work out fine.

Just get out there and have fun!!!

Sue

Debra Ann, Just FYI, The chairs at the dining tables have arms. If you or your sister have any problem with them, just tell one of your waitstaff and they will quickly and discreetly provide "armless" chairs for you. Have a great cruise!

Also, you see any and every type of body shape at the pool in swimsuits, even 'fluffy' gals in bikinis; I say be comfortable and wear your best swimsuit and a smile and Get Out There!

My friend is a fluffyish kind of gal and she has had a ball on the 3 trips we've taken together.

I was at least 375 and had no problems at all. I asked for an armless chair and one was brought immediately and was there each night for the rest of the cruise. No problems with the bed, but I admit the shower curtain clung to my butt. Just open it up, do the best you can and mop the floor with the towels when you are done. I never felt comfortable going to the gym to shower. I had a great time and so will you. Just get out there and dance.:rolleyes:

..... I tell her not to worry, i'm sure people over 300 lbs have been on RCCL before and she'll be fine, but she's really freaking out. Any help would be much appreciated.

DebraAnn, as soon as you walk on the ship, you will feel like you just lost a million pounds. You will float around the ship like an angel. No other passenger will give a thought to the size of their fellow passengers. They are too busy floating around enjoying themselves. The bed designers and ship builders know that all people are designed from rail thin to fluffy. They made sure that your sleeping comfort will be assured.

And, if your beds happen to get a little extra motion (wink, wink) they can handle it. ;)

Dirty Old Man of the Seas

I have cruised several times, at weights from 320-250lbs (I'm working hard at losing!) I found the mattresses on the beds very hard, didn't fit my curves well. I had the room attendant bring a foam pad that made all the difference. The chairs in the theatre on the Caribbean Princess were painful, I just skipped the shows. As said before, have the dining stewards bring you an armless chair. Wear a cover-up to the pool, take it off when you get there and then forget yourself and have fun.

Both DH and I are large people, I am about 300 lbs, he is bigger than I.

The only problem we had was the theater, the seats are so small. I don't know how anyone can be comfortable.

We still went to the shows, but we did stand for most of them.

You know that is one thing I do not miss about being 320, trying to fit into theater seats. It's horrible to do that to people. Just make the big enough to fit someone with a wider rear end. It would not take much. With so many large people in this country, well making small seats is not going to make anyone diet and humiliating people is just wrong. I hated going to the theater so much that I stopped going. I still don't go very much even tho I am much smaller now.

Some people are heavy, it's life. Blame it on whatever you want it just happens. You can berate people and make fun of them but until *I* was ready I didn't lose a pound. In fact I think I gained one every time someone would try to humiliate me from all the crap I ate to cover the pain.

OK I am off my soapbox now.

Wait, getting back on.

The other thing that bothers me is "reformed fat people". You know the ones. They lose weight and think they have the secret to make everyone around them thin so they will actively talk to heavy people about their weightloss. I mean great for them and congratulations but I don't get the bandwagon thing either. Talking about exercise and diet is fine. I do it all the time, I blog about it for crying out loud but I never get a heavy friend in a corner and tell her to lose weight. It's not my life.

and while I am on about it I also am not happy with some of the people I love who are no longer in my life and the ONLY thing I can attribute it to is I lost weight and they are still heavy. Sort of like what happens when you have kids and your unmarried friends sort of disappear, even if you don't talk about your kids every minute.

Thanks, I feel loads better now! LOL!

We've never been on the Grandeur of the Seas, but every RCCL ship we've been on has a few "love-seat" type of couches available in the theater. They're usually in the back row (right by the BAR!!!!!), and they look quite comfortable.

You will have a GREAT time!

--Tom

Archived