Bidding for upgrades - timetable

Russiamomm

3 minutes ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

ah sweet! Did you bid?

Yup!  And the ranges seemed to be lower than what I've remembered from the past.  Family OV to multiple balcony choices.  Definitely cheaper than if I'd booked a balcony in the first place.  Bid about the same on each, so good to very good depending on the category.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Yup!  And the ranges seemed to be lower than what I've remembered from the past.  Family OV to multiple balcony choices.  Definitely cheaper than if I'd booked a balcony in the first place.  Bid about the same on each, so good to very good depending on the category.

So excited for you! I hope you get it!

I've never bid on one of these but have the "offer" notice for an upcoming cruise.  Has anybody reading this thread ever had a really low offer accepted?  (e.g. $50 - $100 per person)  If I had a strong desire for a higher level room, I just would have booked one to begin with.  That said, I wouldn't mind submitting a low ball bid as a goof if there is any chance it might be accepted.

17 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've never bid on one of these but have the "offer" notice for an upcoming cruise.  Has anybody reading this thread ever had a really low offer accepted?  (e.g. $50 - $100 per person)  If I had a strong desire for a higher level room, I just would have booked one to begin with.  That said, I wouldn't mind submitting a low ball bid as a goof if there is any chance it might be accepted.

I believe my accepted bid on Jade from oceanview to minisuite was in the lower third.

6 minutes ago, keep on cruisin said:

I believe my accepted bid on Jade from oceanview to minisuite was in the lower third.

Thanks.  That's about what I was guessing.  I checked my actual sailing and the current regular upgrade prices (i.e. difference between what I paid at the lowest price point and current prices for the upgrades) fall about a third to halfway through the "bid dial".  Why anybody would bid more than they could get by just making a phone call is, of course, unknowable to anybody paying attention.  😄

The numbers I threw out were the absolute lowest ticks on the dial.  I'm really just killing time at this point awaiting a fantastic cruise.  😎

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.  That's about what I was guessing.  I checked my actual sailing and the current regular upgrade prices (i.e. difference between what I paid at the lowest price point and current prices for the upgrades) fall about a third to halfway through the "bid dial".  Why anybody would bid more than they could get by just making a phone call is, of course, unknowable to anybody paying attention.  😄 

Everyone gets different offers.  In the past, I have called to upgrade as prices fell, since I could guarantee the upgrade.  But I've also bid (and won) upgrades that were considerably less than an upgrade would have cost.  For my upcoming cruise, my very good bid for the cheapest upgrades is about 1/3 the current cost to upgrade.  My good bid on 2 higher categories would save me more than 3k.

It is also important to note that currently NCL isn't offering upgrades in the way they used to.  You can only upgrade after final payment if the promos are the same, so anyone who booked with airfare is SOL, since that promo isn't available on late bookings.

I have taken advantage of price drops after final payment that have made the better room affordable.  The best being our fist Haven suite.  We had booked the Breakaway minisuite for me, my wife and our than 13 year old son.  Had the kids sale free promo.  About 1 month prior to saying the forward penthouse was available for $1100 total more. When we originally booked it was about $3000 more.  I figured sailing in November from NY having the Haven pool indoors was good for the cooler days. I jumped on that.   4 days prior to sailing the deck 9(huge balcony)aft penthouse was only $100 more.  Texted my PCC to switch in the morning if still available.  She texted back that the change was made just needed to make the payment.

I still get brownie points for that surprise, since my wife and son did not know I made the change until the woman at check in asked "Haven" and my wife said " I wish" as I said "yes"  her look was great and the lady at check in told my wife to "just go with it"  

Also, while you cannot reverse an accepted bid, they will still let you upgrade to a higher cabin and pay the difference after an accepted bid. 

1 hour ago, keep on cruisin said:

Also, while you cannot reverse an accepted bid, they will still let you upgrade to a higher cabin and pay the difference after an accepted bid. 

You missed the part about changes NCL made a few weeks back regarding upgrades after final payment.  I can't upgrade on my upcoming cruise because the perks I got when I booked don't match the current perks.

6 minutes ago, julig22 said:

You missed the part about changes NCL made a few weeks back regarding upgrades after final payment.  I can't upgrade on my upcoming cruise because the perks I got when I booked don't match the current perks.

That is new.  I had nit seen that.  In the past inhave done it several times.  shame.

4 minutes ago, keep on cruisin said:

That is new.  I had nit seen that.  In the past inhave done it several times.  shame.

It makes no sense to me - I've done an upgrade a few times as well.  More money is more money, although I did upgrade to an aft studio once with no additional cost.  I could maybe see no OBC if there's a price drop but why wouldn't they want to take my money if I'm willing to pay for an upgrade at the last minute?

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

It makes no sense to me - I've done an upgrade a few times as well.  More money is more money, although I did upgrade to an aft studio once with no additional cost.  I could maybe see no OBC if there's a price drop but why wouldn't they want to take my money if I'm willing to pay for an upgrade at the last minute?

I agree it makes no sense.  I could see making you give up any perks not currently included.  

Is that new change documented anywhere?  Did you try to call back and get a different rep?

Just now, keep on cruisin said:

I agree it makes no sense.  I could see making you give up any perks not currently included.  

Is that new change documented anywhere?  Did you try to call back and get a different rep?

Someone posted that they weren't able to upgrade because they had an airfare promo. I asked my PCC and was told that you couldn't upgrade unless the promos matched - new policy.  Based on that,  this would always exclude anyone with an airfare promo, since you have to book airfare 60 days out (normally 90 but 60 with shortened final payment dates).

I don't know if you could upgrade if you didn't have airfare on your booking.  Per my PCC, upgrades are a courtesy, not an obligation.  So doubtful that there is any external documentation.

17 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Someone posted that they weren't able to upgrade because they had an airfare promo. I asked my PCC and was told that you couldn't upgrade unless the promos matched - new policy.  Based on that,  this would always exclude anyone with an airfare promo, since you have to book airfare 60 days out (normally 90 but 60 with shortened final payment dates).

I don't know if you could upgrade if you didn't have airfare on your booking.  Per my PCC, upgrades are a courtesy, not an obligation.  So doubtful that there is any external documentation.

Right now the promos have not changed for my current sailing. Hopefully we will just win our bid.  If not we will be happy with the club balcony.  The upgrade would just be a happy post anniversary present.

4 minutes ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

wait what? I guess I don't understand what you mean by a late booking?

Promo airfare isn't available if you are booking within 60 days (currently) or 90 days (standard) of sail date, regardless of what promos are running at the time you book.

4 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Promo airfare isn't available if you are booking within 60 days (currently) or 90 days (standard) of sail date, regardless of what promos are running at the time you book.

Ah okay I thought you meant if we have promo airfaire we aren't eligible for bids

49 minutes ago, Shellbelle28 said:

Does anyone know whether someone who booked through a travel agent will get offers to bid for upgrades? And if so is it direct, or through the TA?

That depends on the TA.  Some do and some dont participate.  For example i dont believe Costco participates.

17 minutes ago, keep on cruisin said:

That depends on the TA.  Some do and some dont participate.  For example i dont believe Costco participates.

Thanks for the info. My TA is through Expedia Cruises. I can't remember if I got upgrade notices on my last cruise or not.