Grandiosa airconditioning in room

korpo024

What's wrong with the airconditioning? We are on deck 12 and everyone (from Northern Europe) complain that the airconditioning is much too warm. Even set on the coolest setting it's not really cooling the room.
Everywhere on the ship in public spaces it's very cool...but unfortunately not in the rooms.

Are your cabin neighbors keeping their balcony doors open for fresh air?

If so, that is the problem. The AC doesn't work well when the door are left open.

A good way to tell of the balcony door is open is that there will be a strong draft coming out from under the door to the hall.

🥵I feel your pain/sweat. I'll be taking my first MSC cruise next month on the Meraviglia. Same class ship. My previous 10 cruises have been on Carnival and yes, I've had hot cabins. Especially the older vessels. However I learned something a couple years ago on the Horizon which is similar age to the Meraviglia class ships. I'm not an HVAC tech. My suggestions hope this works for you please let me know either way.

1. Notify your cabin steward. If not in cabin leave a note with a small tip. 

2. Though you notified your steward. NOTIFY guest services ASAP! Be friendly but very firm. If nothing happens within 2 to 3 hours make a personal trip to guest services. Tell them you phoned them and alerted cabin steward. Not to gang up on guest services but if you can a fellow passenger with the same issue to come along and let them inform GS. Again be firm but courteous its not the agents fault.

3. At first a crew member not necessary a mechanic will come to your cabin with a little thermometer and take a temperature reading. Try to be there when they come. If they come and you are not present they could leave a BS note saying nothings wrong or room temperature is an acceptable level. On Carnival their range is 68 to 74 F (20 to 23.33 C). If temp is at the higher end insist they lower it to the lower temp. You may also want to invest (for next time) in a small thermometer. I'll take pics of the two I use (take when travelling). For this sailing you may want to download one of the free phone thermometer aps. Find them on Google or Apple Play Store. Not as accurate as a thermometer but as they say "Any Port In A Storm."

4. Before a crewmember or tech comes to your cabin check outside your cabin in the hallway. If you see a narrow door that's locked chances are that's your access unit/air handler. To make a long story short on my 2018 Horizon Cruise my BFF was complaining about a sewage odor. I couldn't smell it but our cabin could have been cooler. Finally maintenance guy came and I shadowed him. He opened up that panel which also had plumbing pipes. The plumbing works and AC unit had small valves. He turned a couple to bleed out air pockets bubbles.(Anyone in plumbing or HVAC please clarify this or correct me if I'm wrong). Within 5 minutes the cabin cooled down to meat locker temps which I like (when not paying electric bill). Within 15 minutes no more poopy sewage smell. My friend was satisfied. She was really upset regarding Au de poop odor. A side note, she got cold and nudged up the temperature control. I wasn't having that. I made sure she got an extra blankie or comforter.

5. For her being upset I asked guest service agent or supervisor to help me keep her happy. We got free laundry service and a free dinner at one of the premium upsell restaurants. (She picked the Asian one. No problem if its free its fine with me!

Problems solved we had a great cruise.

You said others in your cabin area have problems too? Could mean someone isn't keeping up on the maintenance. As we disembarked, they were believe it or not replacing cabin filters to each cabin. Filters are inside those units. Best of luck and have a great rest of cruise.

If your problem is not rectified. This is what Cruise Critic is all about. Write a review or thread update. Doesn't have to be long and detailed like this reply. 😉

Edited by zippyjet
change font and color
  • Like 1