Itinerary changes, How is this decided?

redheadx3

I have read several post about itineraries being change a week or two before the departure date. How and why do the cruise line decide to make the change. Is it because there a too many cruise ships in the same port on the same day. I'm curious because I have looked up how many ships in the ports we will be in. The day we are to be in Cozumel, there will be :confused: 5 other ships. I hate to miss Paradise Beach, but with 6 ships in port how could I enjoy the beach with hundreds of other people there too.

We booked our July cruise to Alaska back on Jan 2. I too had looked up all the ports and even started booking excursions...then about 3weeks ago...there it was, a change...they took off a whole Alaska stop and added a Canada town instead!!!:mad: So our Alaskan cruise is only stopping in 2 Alaskan towns!!:( I was told 'port congestion' was the cause. *Must be one congested port if it is already too busy 6 months early!!!:eek: *

Redhead, There are many, many tours and excursions offered at Cozumel. Not everyone goes to the beach. Some folks just choose to shop or just stay on the ship. Others choose trips to the Mayan ruins or snorkeling trips. Although, there will be others on the beach, I'm sure you will be able to find a spot and enjoy yourself. Have fun!

In answer to your question, sometimes the itinerary is change because of problems with the ship--see the thread "Vision is having problems". Hopefully , they will have it fixed this week-end. We are sailing on Vision on 3/12!

Enjoy your cruise!

Ships are allowed to dock by the port authority of the particular country, and are charged a fee (port charge) to do so. If there is a dramatic increase in this fee, a cruiseline may decide to go somplace cheaper.

Sometimes a port has undertaken construction, and has to limit the number of ships. Like others have mentioned, there's always weather and the possibility of political unrest.

Just remember, changes can and do happen, but any day on a cruise beats a day at work.

We booked our July cruise to Alaska back on Jan 2. I too had looked up all the ports and even started booking excursions...then about 3weeks ago...there it was, a change...they took off a whole Alaska stop and added a Canada town instead!!!:mad: So our Alaskan cruise is only stopping in 2 Alaskan towns!!:( I was told 'port congestion' was the cause. *Must be one congested port if it is already too busy 6 months early!!!:eek: *

Alaska is in the process of implementing a hefty tourist tax on cruises. Maybe this is the line flexing its muscle and going elsewhere.

Alaska is in the process of implementing a hefty tourist tax on cruises. Maybe this is the line flexing its muscle and going elsewhere.

Well, that $uck$... Oh well, at least we booked before the fares went up...they have increased $550. pp since we booked :eek: , so ...its all good, I guess.:cool: (But, I wanted to see the LumberJack Show):p ]

We will be visiting Victroia...and I hear its beautiful! ;)

smnr, go to cruisecal.com to find how many ship are scheduled for a port on a certain day.

I was just wondering why would they change from Cayman to Playa de Carmen-Calica. I don't think there in any political upset in Cayman and they wouldn't change the itinerary for weather two week from sailing.

Don't forget--sometimes they just reverse the order of the published ports of call. That happened to us on our last cruise on Explorer. At least we had booked our few excursions through the cruiseline, so the changes didn't affect us. And to be honest, we really don't care much where we go, as long as it's warm and we're onboard!

Archived