Reports from August 28 Encore Sailing

wacruiselover

Like many of the folks reading this forum, I am booked on the September 4 sailing of the Encore. I eagerly read every post from the excellent reports from @BirdTravels  on the 8/7 cruise and @drumexpert510on the 8/21 cruise as they were posted. These live reviews have given me great comfort regarding our upcoming cruise and increased my excitement to be cruising again. Thank you both for all the hours you spent to give us so much information and insight.

That said, I have not seen any reviews from the current cruise that left on 8/28! With just 5 days left before embarkation it would really be nice to see what is happening now. Specifically, could someone detail their current testing and boarding experience? What about the muster assembly, booking for entertainment and specialty dining, etc. Since my bride hates viewing things on a phone, are you able to get the Freestyle Daily in print form? Thank you in advance and to all my fellow September 4 cruisers, see you onboard!

• Like 2

Onboard now. My internet connection is sketchy at best.   I posted when we boarded that Kinky Boots is back.  

Getting on the ship was a breeze. We got to the port just after 10:00, handed off our bags, headed upstairs at the port for our testing, no lines, results were quick, back down the stairs for check in, then onto the ship for us.   The total process was approximately 35 minutes from drop off to having drink in hand.  Oh, muster  was a matter of having your card swiped at your station, done. 

Yes, you can get a paper copy of the dailies on deck 6 reception area, although our steward did leave a copy of today’s in our cabin last night.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

We were able to book dinners immediately upon boarding, I want to say at Taste maybe.   No problem.  We didn’t book any shows but that would have been equally easy to accomplish at Social.  

Shore excursions, dinners and shows have been bookable throughout the the cruise in the reception area.   

Thank you for the boarding information. A few more questions. Are they still having Company Men as one of the evening entertainment groups? Are the Beatles folks doing a show in the main theater? What days are they showing for Choir of Man?

5 minutes ago, wacruiselover said:

Thank you for the boarding information. A few more questions. Are they still having Company Men as one of the evening entertainment groups? Are the Beatles folks doing a show in the main theater? What days are they showing for Choir of Man?

Yes to Beatles and Choir of Man. Beatles was last night.   I’ll have to go through the dailies to see when Choir of Man is showing.     Give me a bit.  

32 minutes ago, LNielsen said:

Onboard now. My internet connection is sketchy at best.   I posted when we boarded that Kinky Boots is back.  

Getting on the ship was a breeze. We got to the port just after 10:00, handed off our bags, headed upstairs at the port for our testing, no lines, results were quick, back down the stairs for check in, then onto the ship for us.   The total process was approximately 35 minutes from drop off to having drink in hand.  Oh, muster  was a matter of having your card swiped at your station, done. 

Yes, you can get a paper copy of the dailies on deck 6 reception area, although our steward did leave a copy of today’s in our cabin last night.  

Are you using the ships internet or cell service? Bought the unlimited wifi, hope it wasn't a waste of money

14 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Are you using the ships internet or cell service? Bought the unlimited wifi, hope it wasn't a waste of money

We upgraded to streaming.   It depends where on the ship you are as to reliability.   It was worthless the first day, but has improved as we’ve sailed.  Right now it’s great while sitting in the buffet watching hubby have breakfast.    

Edited by LNielsen
Typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LNielsen said:

We upgraded to streaming.   It depends where on the ship you are as to reliability.   It was worthless the first day, big has improved as we’ve sailed.  Right now it’s great while sitting in the buffet watching hubby have breakfast.    

I didn't think the streaming was faster than the unlimited wifi. But either way, not shelling out any extra money, will just have to make the unlimited work. But hoping that it is useable at least.  I bet the 250 minutes would  go super fast since it sounds like it is slow 

Have a great cruise, can't wait to board next week! 

1 hour ago, LNielsen said:

Yes to Beatles and Choir of Man. Beatles was last night.   I’ll have to go through the dailies to see when Choir of Man is showing.     Give me a bit.  

If you don't mind me asking, what time were the Beatles shows on Sunday night?  I may have to forgo my Cagney's reservation.  The Beatles show was so good on the Bliss that I don't want to miss it on the Encore.  Thanks so much!

Edited by SomewhereGirl

10 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

If you don't mind me asking, what time were the Beatles shows on Sunday night?  I may have to forgo my Cagney's reservation.  The Beatles show was so good on the Bliss that I don't want to miss it on the Encore.  Thanks so much!

7:30 and 9:30. 

2 hours ago, LNielsen said:

That's awesome you were able to board so early.  our flight is set to come into Barcelona at 9 am cruise day and I'm thinking...what in the world are we going to do all day while we wait to board

1 hour ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

That's awesome you were able to board so early.  our flight is set to come into Barcelona at 9 am cruise day and I'm thinking...what in the world are we going to do all day while we wait to board

So does ours. We don't check in until 3:30 so we're planning to drop off luggage at the port and hop on the hop on bus to see some sites in Barcelona. 

21 minutes ago, nikki maestas said:

We don't check in until 3:30 so we're planning to drop off luggage at the port and hop on the hop on bus to see some sites in Barcelona. 

You might need a really fast bus to see Barcelona and still make it back for a 3:30 boarding in Seattle. Are you sure you are on the Encore traveling to Alaska on September 4, 2021?

2 hours ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

Barcelona is one of my favorite cities.  The ship docks fairly  close to Las Ramblas.  Make your way over there, wander and people watch.   

Edited to add also wander to the Gothic Quarter which is adjacent to Las Ramblas.  It’s fun to explore as well.  

Edited by LNielsen
Added to suggestion.
  • Like 2

Has there been any talk about people in these last 3 Encore cruises that tested positive before boarding and being denied? It's not even the Covid being the issue for this topic- it's the luggage. Everyone talks about dropping off luggage with porter BEFORE going for the test. If you tested positive, your luggage is gone for a week. Are people allowed to bring their luggage in to the testing area? October 9 can't come fast enough.

1 hour ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

I was actually thinking about the Gothic Quarter! 

We stayed pre-cruise in the Gothic Quarter when we took our adult children on a Barcelona to Venice cruise a few years ago.   I wanted them to see why I love Barcelona so much, they enjoyed it as well.  

I had stayed on Las Ramblas in the past. Both were wonderful.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LNielsen said:

Absolutely no rush, but I'd also love to know which nights were Choir of Man and which were Kinky Boots. Thanks, and have an awesome time on board!

26 minutes ago, Korlad said:

If you tested positive, your luggage is gone for a week.

Some have suggested that if you test positive, the hazmat commandos don their bunny suits and search out your luggage, wrap it in ten layers of plastic and toss it into the ocean (okay, that last part was just added for effect).  The suggestion is that they find it and remove it from the ship before the ship departs.  We'll likely never have any first hand reports.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Some have suggested that if you test positive, the hazmat commandos don their bunny suits and search out your luggage, wrap it in ten layers of plastic and toss it into the ocean (okay, that last part was just added for effect).  The suggestion is that they find it and remove it from the ship before the ship departs.  We'll likely never have any first hand reports.

I would expect that is the process...minus the tossing off the dock.

Like the idea but hope it doesn't happen to me 😜

Much the same happens when a passenger doesn't make it to the gate at the airport - some poor schmuck has to crawl through the mountain of bags in the belly, find and remove them before the plane can fly.

1 hour ago, Korlad said:

Has there been any talk about people in these last 3 Encore cruises that tested positive before boarding and being denied? It's not even the Covid being the issue for this topic- it's the luggage. Everyone talks about dropping off luggage with porter BEFORE going for the test. If you tested positive, your luggage is gone for a week. Are people allowed to bring their luggage in to the testing area? October 9 can't come fast enough.

I *always* have some clothes in a backpack that I keep on the plane as a personal item and what I take on the ship with me.  Even if you don't test positive, luggage can still go missing, although it is rare. 

• Like 1

We sailed by the glacier yesterday.  We have done it several times before on previous NCL cruises.  This time was a bit different.  On the Sun, Spirit, and even the Joy we were able to get very close to the glacier.  Yesterday the Encore was at least a quarter mile, and maybe a half mile, farther away than previous cruises.  In the past, the captain would enter the fjord, then slowly spin the ship a full 360 so everyone could get a great view from their balcony.  The Encore just did a 180, so only the port side had a view.  We were waiting on our starboard balcony for the glacier to come into view.  When we realized the ship wasn’t going to continue turning, we headed down to Deck 8, port side. We still were disappointed in how far away we were, but there is an alternative, although it comes at a price of $249 per person.  You can board a tender at the dock inJuneau and sail ahead of the ship to view the glacier up close and personal.  The catamaran they use gets within about 100 feet of the glacier.  It also slows down for views of any bears, seals, or other animals in the area.  The tender then pulls alongside the ship so passengers can re-board before the ship departs the fjord.  A bit pricey, but given the fact that the ship no longer comes close to the glacier, it may be worth it.  As I said, we’ve been there, done that, so it didn’t really disappoint to be so far away, but for first time travelers to Alaska, it surely is something to consider.

• Like 1