Question- Monoclonal Antibodies onboard?

bandp407

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I concur.  That said, they're trying to find a path to do just that.  The key is, and always has been, to get to the 80% vaccinated rate.  It's been a slog to get there, particularly in states like FL, TX and LA.

With 100% vax pax and test prior to boarding, on Caribbean itineraries, State % probably won't impact onboard infections any more than foreign port %, which are often lower.  It's going to take better numbers at both ends.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

So does anyone want to speculate how the cruise lines return to profitability?  If you can spread covid between passengers from crew on sailings at 30% capacity, what happens when you return to anything close to full capacity?  You will have many more close contacts and even more covid onboard.  They will likely be putting people off at every stop.  I just don't see the path to profitability.  

Covid assistance plans across the industry are set to expire by the end of the year. Whether or not we are in a better place regarding vaccinations and infection rates by then, I don’t expect the cruise lines to continue to accept financial responsibility for getting people home. They can’t absorb that cost indefinitely without raising cruise fares. Unless there is another CSO / port agreement that requires it, free rides will end; and people will have to be prepared to provide for themselves.

3 minutes ago, Babr said:

Covid assistance plans across the industry are set to expire by the end of the year. Whether or not we are in a better place regarding vaccinations and infection rates by then, I don’t expect the cruise lines to continue to accept financial responsibility for getting people home. They can’t absorb that cost indefinitely without raising cruise fares. Unless there is another CSO / port agreement that requires it, free rides will end; and people will have to be prepared to provide for themselves.

That will be interesting.  Not many policies provide for evacuation or quarantine in a foreign country.  I wish the cruise line a lot of luck after publicity of cruisers being dumped in a foreign country without any support.  The cruise lines may want to do that but the optics of abandoning their customers in a foreign country may not allow it.

Just now, Ipeeinthepools said:

That will be interesting.  Not many policies provide for evacuation or quarantine in a foreign country.  I wish the cruise line a lot of luck after publicity of cruisers being dumped in a foreign country without any support.  The cruise lines may want to do that but the optics of abandoning their customers in a foreign country may not allow it.

All comprehensive policies have trip interruption provisions that pay up to 150% of the cost of the trip to defray expenses of returning home if your trip is cut short for some reason. Others, such as Trawick International, provide additional funds specifically for quarantine.  You can use the search feature at insuremytrip.com to find Covid-friendly policies.

But you are correct that no existing policy will charter a jet to return cruisers who test positive with no or few symptoms. Available policies are for hospital-to-hospital transfers.

Many cruise lines require unvaccinated passengers to have adequate insurance now. It may be that all are required to have insurance. In that case, they are not being dumped without support, as you put it. Passengers are routinely disembarked for medical reasons. Why is this any different?

Another option is to quarantine on the ship until the end of the cruise. Some ships have cabins set aside for that purpose, but it becomes more difficult when ships return to full capacity or longer itineraries.

It makes sense to provide assistance as cruising resumes so people feel confident to book. Now we know what can happen, but I do not expect the cruise lines to continue providing private jets every time someone tests positive.

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Covid assistance plans across the industry are set to expire by the end of the year. Whether or not we are in a better place regarding vaccinations and infection rates by then, I don’t expect the cruise lines to continue to accept financial responsibility for getting people home. They can’t absorb that cost indefinitely without raising cruise fares.

OTOH, there haven't been that many of these 'events' yet, at least not for Celebrity.  Compared to the number sailing and the revenue from that, they've at least got some cash flow to deal with it. 

Given the difficulty some are having in getting the right kind of insurance to cover after Celebrity stops their program on 31 October (unless they extend it), it may be the thing that is convincing some number of passengers that sailing after 31 October isn't a potential financial disaster for them, avoiding cancellations and increasing bookings.

I'm sure Celebrity is wondering whether the cost to date has garnered them enough additional passengers to compensate for the cost plus more, and are weighing bookings vs. that cost right now.

39 minutes ago, Babr said:

Many cruise lines require unvaccinated passengers to have adequate insurance now. It may be that all are required to have insurance. In that case, they are not being dumped without support, as you put it.Passengers are routinely disembarked for medical reasons. Why is this any different?

Because those 'routine' disembarkations are because the medical staff can't supply the necessary support for a seriously ill person.  A positive COVID test with an asymptomatic patient is a rather different issue.  The former and more serious situation provides at least some chance of hospital-hospital repatriation.  The latter does not.  For the former, insurance is readily available.  For the latter, it is quite difficult/impossible for some.

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

OTOH, there haven't been that many of these 'events' yet, at least not for Celebrity.  Compared to the number sailing and the revenue from that, they've at least got some cash flow to deal with it. 

Given the difficulty some are having in getting the right kind of insurance to cover after Celebrity stops their program on 31 October (unless they extend it), it may be the thing that is convincing some number of passengers that sailing after 31 October isn't a potential financial disaster for them, avoiding cancellations and increasing bookings.

I'm sure Celebrity is wondering whether the cost to date has garnered them enough additional passengers to compensate for the cost plus more, and are weighing bookings vs. that cost right now.

No doubt they are considering the cost of this program. I have only scattered examples I’ve read about on Celebrity, but the roll call for Equinox reports two separate incidents this week alone, and the cruise is not over. Additional tracing and testing may reveal more. I have no way of knowing if this is typical or if it represents an increase.

Insurance is available. Celebrity sells a policy that meets their requirements. It will not provide the level of service Celebrity provides now, to be sure, but passengers will not face financial disaster.

Celebrity will find the balance that considers both passengers and profit. It seems to me that as long as passengers test positive on a regular basis, private jets will lead to increased cruise fares.

9 minutes ago, canderson said:

Because those 'routine' disembarkations are because the medical staff can't supply the necessary support for a seriously ill person.  A positive COVID test with an asymptomatic patient is a rather different issue.  The former and more serious situation provides at least some chance of hospital-hospital repatriation.  The latter does not.  For the former, insurance is readily available.  For the latter, it is quite difficult/impossible for some.

Not impossible, not even expensive, just not as convenient as having someone else getting you home immediately as opposed to quarantining before returning home by commercial air. If that possibility is not manageable, then perhaps one should reconsider cruising for the time being.

31 minutes ago, Babr said:

Not impossible, not even expensive, just not as convenient as having someone else getting you home immediately as opposed to quarantining before returning home by commercial air. If that possibility is not manageable, then perhaps one should reconsider cruising for the time being.

"Celebrity sells a policy that meets their requirements."

You can't buy the Aon policy offered by Celebrity if you are from New York.  I can't buy the Allianz policy with the COVID rider because I live in Colorado.  It's not as easy to find a policy as it was pre-COVID, and a lot of travelers with annual policies aren't covered now, either, and are having to consider other options on top of what they've already purchased.

And yes, the Aon policy price WOULD be a deal breaker for some based upon some of the posts here regarding the cost of upgrade perks, etc.  I know that for our upcoming 15nts of B2B, the Aon policy runs $2,016. 

1 minute ago, canderson said:

"Celebrity sells a policy that meets their requirements."

You can't buy the Aon policy offered by Celebrity if you are from New York.  I can't buy the Allianz policy with the COVID rider because I live in Colorado.  It's not as easy to find a policy as it was pre-COVID, and a lot of travelers with annual policies aren't covered now, either, and are having to consider other options on top of what they've already purchased.

And yes, the Aon policy price WOULD be a deal breaker for some based upon some of the posts here regarding the cost of upgrade perks, etc.  I know that for our upcoming 15nts of B2B, the Aon policy runs $2,016. 

That’s right because New York does not allow cancel for any reason unless it is a stand alone policy. The idea is that one should not be required to buy other coverage in order to get it. But that is beside the point.

Coverage varies by state because states regulate insurance so policies and coverages are not universally available, but you can find policies sold in your state by using the search feature at insuremytrip.com. Include Covid-friendly in your search.

Annual policies purchased before the shut down should be expiring. I wonder why anyone would renew knowing it did not cover Covid.

As far as cost, third-party policies are based on age, amount insured, and length of trip so yes it gets expensive for older people on longer cruises in more expensive cabins. That is one advantage of cruise line insurance. It is usually standardized by cost not age. Aon is the company that administers the plan for Celebrity. The policy is underwritten by a major insurer, Nationwide I think.

I consider travel insurance for an extended international cruise part of the cost of doing business because it covers cancellation, trip irregularities, medical, and evacuation. Whether Celebrity were offering to fly me home would not factor in my decision to buy a comprehensive travel policy. I still want the additional coverage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babr said:

That’s right because New York does not allow cancel for any reason unless it is a stand alone policy. The idea is that one should not be required to buy other coverage in order to get it. But that is beside the point.

Coverage varies by state because states regulate insurance so policies and coverages are not universally available, but you can find policies sold in your state by using the search feature at insuremytrip.com. Include Covid-friendly in your search.

Annual policies purchased before the shut down should be expiring. I wonder why anyone would renew knowing it did not cover Covid.

As far as cost, third-party policies are based on age, amount insured, and length of trip so yes it gets expensive for older people on longer cruises in more expensive cabins. That is one advantage of cruise line insurance. It is usually standardized by cost not age. Aon is the company that administers the plan for Celebrity. The policy is underwritten by a major insurer, Nationwide I think.

I consider travel insurance for an extended international cruise part of the cost of doing business because it covers cancellation, trip irregularities, medical, and evacuation. Whether Celebrity were offering to fly me home would not factor in my decision to buy a comprehensive travel policy. I still want the additional coverage.

Nothing I wasn't aware of in the above.  Have posted most of it myself over the last couple of weeks.  If Allianz and the the Colorado Insurance Commissioner (c'mon, Conway, get with the program here!) would play nice, the decision would have been easy. 

insuremytrip isn't unique, and provides the same rates I've seen elsewhere on the 'kayak' style insurance aggregators.  Typical cost there for my trip $3000 and up.  Aon is actually a fairly decent deal for many in the Celebrity demographic.

Rather than deciding IF to buy insurance, it's more a question of what KIND of insurance one might purchase -- could easily be determined based upon what Celebrity picks up on their end between now and 31 October.  No need for the extra expense for a policy that covers certain costs due to COVID, and the extra expense that entails, especially if it has good repatriation coverage.

Edited by canderson

7 hours ago, canderson said:

Nothing I wasn't aware of in the above.  Have posted most of it myself over the last couple of weeks.  If Allianz and the the Colorado Insurance Commissioner (c'mon, Conway, get with the program here!) would play nice, the decision would have been easy. 

insuremytrip isn't unique, and provides the same rates I've seen elsewhere on the 'kayak' style insurance aggregators.  Typical cost there for my trip $3000 and up.  Aon is actually a fairly decent deal for many in the Celebrity demographic.

Rather than deciding IF to buy insurance, it's more a question of what KIND of insurance one might purchase -- could easily be determined based upon what Celebrity picks up on their end between now and 31 October.  No need for the extra expense for a policy that covers certain costs due to COVID, and the extra expense that entails, especially if it has good repatriation coverage.

Sure. The rates are the same because states regulate it so the price is the same wherever you buy it. Insuremytrip is just the one I go to for research.

For the typical 7 day Caribbean cruise, Celebrity’s return flight is certainly an incentive; and for start up, a reassurance. I’m guessing a lot of people never bought insurance for those trips even though it is not expensive. I don’t expect the flights to continue, and I really don’t think they’ll be routinely flying people home from Europe.

My 14-day Norway is also pricing out in the$2,500 range, but I intend to stay with a standard comprehensive plan. Whatever the cruise line is offering won’t influence my decision. It may overlap with my comprehensive plan, but that is where I’m comfortable even though it is more than I had hoped to spend for insurance. I’ll wait until final payment to purchase. If things aren’t better by then, I’m not going.

Good luck on your search. I’m confident you’ll find the information you need to make the right decision for you. In the meantime, Covid has us all scrambling for answers.

On 9/1/2021 at 6:25 PM, mom says said:

Monoclonal antibody therapy is not quite as simple as the OP posted. There are several  different combos, and not all are as effective against the current strain. It is not usually administered as "a series of shots" but as an intravenous infusion. And it is not indicated for everyone, but for those with symptoms AND at high risk for development of severe disease. Plus, therapy can be delayed by several days, unlike some antivirals that have a very short window of opportunity. And current policy is to disembark all positive cases at the next port. So I think it unlikely that they would carry this treatment.

Would the airline let you fly home, being " positive"?

6 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

Would the airline let you fly home, being " positive"?

Not if it is an international flight to the US where you must test negative.  If you have a positive test there is a 10 day waiting period before you can fly.

• 3 months later...
On 9/1/2021 at 11:09 PM, nocl said:

Except Medjet has some limitations.  It will only transport you if you are hospitalized in a location where there is a runway that can handle their medical evacuation jet.  Not in hospital it doesn't, no long enough runway it doesn't cover.  Main reason it is as cheap as it is, the odds that one will actually use it is low.

Royal flew those with Omni home on private plane as fast as they could arrange. (3 days in their case.)

24 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Royal flew those with Omni home on private plane as fast as they could arrange. (3 days in their case.)

Not surprised. That is their stated policy. It happens except when local authorities require quarantine as in the case of a family earlier who flew to Barcelona, tested positive, and spent the rest of their vacation in a quarantine hotel only to return home by commercial air.