luggage

Capt. JC

This is our first cruise and we are debating what luggage to use, big roller suitcases or duffels? Is there space to store luggage in your room or elsewhere, do you live out of your suitcase? We will be on the Carnival Pride.

Thanks!

This is our first cruise and we are debating what luggage to use, big roller suitcases or duffels? Is there space to store luggage in your room or elsewhere, do you live out of your suitcase? We will be on the Carnival Pride.

Thanks!

Definitely take the suitcases with the rollers, and make sure you leave room for all the great souveniers you just have to have!!

Some people store their luggage under the bed. We've stored ours in the closet. There are closets and drawers and more room than you will need in the bathroom for storing things.

I would suggest taking a small carry-on with things you absolutely cannot be without such as medications, and maybe a fresh shirt as it may be a little while before you get your luggage. I've never sailed on the Pride so I don't know where your embarkation port is, or where you're coming from.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Personally I would use big rolling suitcases. There is quite a bit of space under the beds to stow luggage out of the way. Duffel style bags get awfully heavy if you would need to carry them for any amount of time. Don't overpack, either and be sure to leave room for the souvinirs!! Have a great cruise.

Since we are flying to port, we each take a large checked bag and a carry-on. When packing, I distribute his and hers between both checked bags with essentials and valuables in the smaller carry-ons. This ensures that even if a bag is lost, we each still have some things to wear for casual & formal. Since we take 4 bags and always stay under the airline limit on weight, we still have plenty of room to bring back our souvenirs!

All these bags are medium priced rollers that we bought in a set. No sense in buying expensive bags, considering the abuse they will get from the airline & port handlers!

TIP- Don't overpack and there is plenty of room under the bed for luggage, which also becomes the laundry hamper!

Thanks!

Based on your location I assume that you have to fly in. The airlines have gotten a bit uppity lately about luggage. You are going to be limited to 2 checked bags and 1 carryon. The checked bags cannot weigh more than 50 lbs unless you want to pay the penalty.

My advice use the duffles as they do not weigh as much as the big things on wheels and you have that much more weight for stuff that you need.

If you don't want to store the luggage in your room, you can ask the room steward to store them for you, or at least that's the way they use to do it. Back in the day of smaller ships thats the way they did it, you rarely stored your bags in the room. They would bring them back the last night for you to pack.

Mark

My parents and I seem to disagree on the "packing light" issue. I am an extreme over packer!!! Although I can usually get my daughters stuff and mine in one 28' roller suitcase. I plan on bringing this suitcase on the cruise. Maybe I will also bring a duffle bag in the suitcase to have another checkable bag on the way back. Just in case I do a lot of shopping!!!

My question is about hangers. Are there a lot in the closets or do people bring their own? Thanks!

I'm the Queen of Overpacking (just ask my husband) and I've always had plenty of hangers. You can always ask your room steward for more if you need them.

Don't forget that most of the sofas (at least on the Pride) have storage drawers underneath as well. These are great for luggage, dirty clothes, stuff you just don't want to look at, etc.

I suggest you use rolling luggage. I know I wouldn't want to lug heavy duffle bags around. Rolling is sooooo easy. There's plenty of room in the cabin to store your luggage. If I have two bags, I usually put one inside the other for storage. And no, you don't 'live out of your suitcase'.....Unpack all your things - lots of closet and drawer space.

Someone above mentioned plenty of bathroom storage room - so not true. Some ships have a single little bitty shelf over the sink, and some have a small medicine cabinet-unit.

Also - the cabin steward has a zillion other things to do, so don't ask him to store your luggage. You'll find room under the beds or in one of the closets.:)

Thanks!

We use two huge rolling duffles. Very large and holds lots of stuff then fold down to put under the bed. Best of both worlds. I manage to get all the stuff we need for a week for 4 people in two large duffles plus a smaller rolling duffle for shoes and toiletries without going over the 50 pound per bag limit. All three bags have plenty of room left for souveniers.

Eileen

My parents and I seem to disagree on the "packing light" issue. I am an extreme over packer!!! Although I can usually get my daughters stuff and mine in one 28' roller suitcase. I plan on bringing this suitcase on the cruise. Maybe I will also bring a duffle bag in the suitcase to have another checkable bag on the way back. Just in case I do a lot of shopping!!!

My question is about hangers. Are there a lot in the closets or do people bring their own? Thanks!

The airlines are doing a good job of curing extreme overpacking. Better to overpack in multiple bags.

Whatever you do just make sure you really dont care about the luggage, my experience on 4 cruises is my luggage always comes back missing a wheel, a handle, or with a huge rip down the side. I purchase my luggage from ebay for pretty cheap so i am not to disapointed when it comes back damaged.

The airlines are doing a good job of curing extreme overpacking. Better to overpack in multiple bags.

So there is a cure???

What will the airline do if your bag goes over the weight limit? I honestly never knew there was a weight limit on a bag! I know there is a limit to how many bags one person can take though, I think it's three per person. I think...

Maybe I should bring the 2 smaller rolling ones and leave the big one at home! Thanks for the tip!

We just got back from Carnival Liberty . In Ft Lauderdale,they were so mean. One guy told me my bag was 14 lbs overweight. He wanted to charge me $50.00 extra. We went to the gift shop. They had carryon's with wheels for $9.99. Rearranged everything. They were so busy with them canceling the flights. They had time to weigh the luggage. Then I was ok. US Airways was a nitemare for the flight down before the cruise and on the way back. They were cancelling flights for 2 days. Originally flight was Friday first class. They changed it to Tuesday nite. Worst flights I have ever taken. E

......... US Airways was a nitemare for the flight down before the cruise and on the way back. They were cancelling flights for 2 days. Originally flight was Friday first class. They changed it to Tuesday nite. Worst flights I have ever taken. E

Uh, did you stop and think that Mother Nature probably was the cause of all this?;)

We just got back from Carnival Liberty . In Ft Lauderdale,they were so mean. One guy told me my bag was 14 lbs overweight. He wanted to charge me $50.00 extra. We went to the gift shop. They had carryon's with wheels for $9.99. Rearranged everything. They were so busy with them canceling the flights. They had time to weigh the luggage. Then I was ok. US Airways was a nitemare for the flight down before the cruise and on the way back. They were cancelling flights for 2 days. Originally flight was Friday first class. They changed it to Tuesday nite. Worst flights I have ever taken. E

Gee, it really sucks that one of the biggest blizzards in history screwed up your flights.

The airlines charge for overweight luggage because it was causing too many employee injuries and it was costing more in fuel. Just think if everyone on your flight had luggage that was 14 pounds overweight.

Slightly off topic, but I have an airline story for you! Two years ago my sister and I were going to Viva Las Vegas for 5 days. I normally don't check luggage, I try to carry on a small captain style bag. But since it was Vegas and I needed 5 days of "walking clothes" and 5 days of "hoochie clothes" I decided to check! Well, we get the the hotel and there is one of those "bag checked" stickers on my bag. No biggie. I am all for airport safety. However, once I start unpacking I notice all of my underwear was gone!!! I know I packed some! I packed quite a few actually and they were all gone! What is up with that?!?!?! Can't blame that one on the weather....;)

Slightly off topic, but I have an airline story for you! Two years ago my sister and I were going to Viva Las Vegas for 5 days. I normally don't check luggage, I try to carry on a small captain style bag. But since it was Vegas and I needed 5 days of "walking clothes" and 5 days of "hoochie clothes" I decided to check! Well, we get the the hotel and there is one of those "bag checked" stickers on my bag. No biggie. I am all for airport safety. However, once I start unpacking I notice all of my underwear was gone!!! I know I packed some! I packed quite a few actually and they were all gone! What is up with that?!?!?! Can't blame that one on the weather....;)

Ewww!! That is just plain weird...

Ewww!! That is just plain weird...

Yeap, that is what I thought! And United did nothing either. I thought I would call and give them a heads up because that is disturbing, but the people that check are not United employees so there was nothing they could do. I haven't seen my underthings since...:(

You can duffles with wheels on them from L.L. Bean.

I agree, my duffles have wheels, and didn't really explain that before answering. The key is light weight rolling luggage that can be beat up (because that will happen to it even on the airlines.)

Archived