Passport Question

RandyH3253

My wife and I have passports, since getting married earlier this year we need to get her name changed on hers. Obviously, that’s taking a really long time due to Covid. We’re looking at doing a cruise over Thanksgiving, either on Seashore, or Mera. I’m well aware of what a closed loop cruise is/isn’t for US citizens. Here’s my question. Mera leaves from Miami, and returns to Port Canaveral, so technically by definition is not a closed loop cruise since it arrives back to a different US port. So I think a passport is required. MSC on the other hand by means of 4 different agents is telling me my wife can travel on her drivers license and birth certificate. Before we book, does anyone know the correct answer to this? Are the agents correct and am I wrong, or do I know more than their agents? 

The State Department's website page about closed loop cruises (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html) links to this Customs and Border Patrol site:  https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

It sure looks to me as you have the correct interpretation.  I would avail myself of the "Contact Us" option on the CBP website:  https://www.cbp.gov/contact.  Better to be safe than sorry and get a response from the people who will enforce (or not) that requirement!

If you are unable to find the information you need, the CBP Information Center is open Monday-Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern time. You can submit your question, compliment, complaint, or tip online or by calling 1-877-CBP-5511 (877-227-5511). If you are outside the U.S. you must call +1-202-325-8000.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, RandyH3253 said:

My wife and I have passports, since getting married earlier this year we need to get her name changed on hers

If you search on the US Govt site for passport questions regarding name change due to marriage or divorce, it says that it depends on the requirements of the countries you might be visiting (if name change for reason other than marriage or divorce, then name change is required).

So maybe solution is to delay the name change and make all the airline / cruise and other trip reservations in her maiden name (so they match passport) and delay the passport name change until you get back?  Maybe you should check on any countries your cruise intends to visit.

21 minutes ago, KeepSailing said:

So maybe solution is to delay the name change and make all the airline / cruise and other trip reservations in her maiden name (so they match passport) and delay the passport name change until you get back?

I should clarify above - if you have already processed a name change on other legal documents (such as drivers license / SS card, etc.) then the better option would be to go forward with having the passport name not match and simply travel with copy of the marriage certificate?  Not only should that work in US, but most other countries I would think.

21 minutes ago, KeepSailing said:

I should clarify above - if you have already processed a name change on other legal documents (such as drivers license / SS card, etc.) then the better option would be to go forward with having the passport name not match and simply travel with copy of the marriage certificate?  Not only should that work in US, but most other countries I would think.

Yeah we’ve already done that. I fly for an airline and we changed that so we could use my benefits to fly domestically. I’m just worried the passport won’t be back in time and we were going to do seashore but we have family booked on the Mera but without a passport I don’t think it’s feasible per the govt yet MSC says otherwise. 

Just now, RandyH3253 said:

Yeah we’ve already done that.

Yes, if some docs changed but not yet the passport, then that could flag something at TSA, etc. 

Several years ago, my DW and I traveled and her passport was under maiden name and we just brought marriage certificate and had no difficulties at US border or Bahamas where we were traveling at the time. 

Not sure if you have other countries in mind but I have to believe most would recognize that (considering how many "honeymoons" they encounter).  I think the passport under maiden name would work along with marriage certificate.

12 minutes ago, KeepSailing said:

sorry, missed that ... you turned in the passport to change it.  Yeah, I think that is a problem.

Yeah we did, and MSC keeps saying she can travel on the cruise with birth certificate, but I know it’s not closed loop and they keep telling me because it leaves and comes back to a US port, And I know that wrong. 

8 minutes ago, RandyH3253 said:

Yeah we did, and MSC keeps saying she can travel on the cruise with birth certificate, but I know it’s not closed loop and they keep telling me because it leaves and comes back to a US port, And I know that wrong. 

My friend won’t get her passport back in time we’re pretty sure. We are leaving and returning to the same port Port Canaveral. So when she shows her birth certificate and drivers license she will be ok. When we get back to Port Canaveral we will have to show our passport or birth certificate drivers license I presume.  I read this “If you take closed loop cruises (meaning your trip begins and ends at a U.S. port), you can sail to a variety of dreamy destinations as a U.S. citizen without a passport. ... And a certified birth certificate or certificate of U.S. naturalization.”  
It doesn’t say the same port. I found this by googling for what it’s worth.

8 minutes ago, ddlb said:

My friend won’t get her passport back in time we’re pretty sure. We are leaving and returning to the same port Port Canaveral. So when she shows her birth certificate and drivers license she will be ok. When we get back to Port Canaveral we will have to show our passport or birth certificate drivers license I presume.  I read this “If you take closed loop cruises (meaning your trip begins and ends at a U.S. port), you can sail to a variety of dreamy destinations as a U.S. citizen without a passport. ... And a certified birth certificate or certificate of U.S. naturalization.”  
It doesn’t say the same port. I found this by googling for what it’s worth.

The quote I cited in post #2 above is taken from the Customs and Border Patrol website (https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative:) and does include the word same.  I think the wording in your quote - "dreamy destinations' - is pretty much a guarantee that it wasn't from an official US government website 😀.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. 

I cruised with passport being in my maiden name for about 8 years after getting married. I just always booked my cruise in my maiden name. So my cruise tickets/confirmation matched my passport. I never had a problem with this practice. When my passport was ready for renewal, I changed my name of name on passport and now cruise in married name.