How Do We Get To The Ship ?

GRIFFITH1

CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE BEST WAY TO TRANSFER FROM NEWARK AIRPORT TO THE SHIP TERMINAL FOR THE CUNARD'S QUEEN MARY 2 ?

I WAS TOLD A NEW SHIP TERMINAL WAS GOING TO OPEN THIS SUMMER IN NEW YORK . I DO NOT KNOW IF THAT WILL EFFECT THE QUEEN MARY . NOT SURE WHAT SHIPS WILL BE DOCKING AT THE NEW TERMINAL ???

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO ON THIS . THERE ARE 4 ADULTS WITH LOTS OF LUGGAGE. ( WE ARE DOING 9 EXTRA DAYS AFTER THE CRUISE )I KNOW WE CAN'T ALL TAKE ONE TAXI . JUST WONDERING IF WE SHOULD DO A TRANSFER WITH CUNARD, TAKE SEPARATE TAXIS, OR MAYBE THE SHUTTLE I HAVE HEARD OF A SUPER SHUTTLE .

THANKS FOR THE INFO . WE DON'T GO UNTIL JULY 3 BUT WE ARE ALREADY TRYING TO PLAN IT OUT .

ALSO, IF ANYONE KNOWS, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO RENT A CAR AFTER THE CRUISE . DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY CAR RENTALS AT OR NEAR THE PORT ? WE WERE WONDERING IF WE WOULD NEED TO GO BACK TO THE AIRPORT FOR A RENTAL OR IF THERE MIGHT BE A PLACE THAT WOULD RENT AT THE TERMINAL OR AT LEAST DELIVER A RENTAL TO THE PORT .....:confused: HOW DO MOST PASSENGERS GET FROM THE AIRPORTS TO THE CRUISE TERMINAL ? MY PARENTS ARE GOING WITH US AND ELDERLY AND NOT ABLE TO HANDLE THEIR LUGGAGE ALONE .

THANKS FOR ANY HELP .

CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE BEST WAY TO TRANSFER FROM NEWARK AIRPORT TO THE SHIP TERMINAL FOR THE CUNARD'S QUEEN MARY 2 ?

I WAS TOLD A NEW SHIP TERMINAL WAS GOING TO OPEN THIS SUMMER IN NEW YORK . I DO NOT KNOW IF THAT WILL EFFECT THE QUEEN MARY . NOT SURE WHAT SHIPS WILL BE DOCKING AT THE NEW TERMINAL ???

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO ON THIS . THERE ARE 4 ADULTS WITH LOTS OF LUGGAGE. ( WE ARE DOING 9 EXTRA DAYS AFTER THE CRUISE )I KNOW WE CAN'T ALL TAKE ONE TAXI . JUST WONDERING IF WE SHOULD DO A TRANSFER WITH CUNARD, TAKE SEPARATE TAXIS, OR MAYBE THE SHUTTLE I HAVE HEARD OF A SUPER SHUTTLE .

THANKS FOR THE INFO . WE DON'T GO UNTIL JULY 3 BUT WE ARE ALREADY TRYING TO PLAN IT OUT .

ALSO, IF ANYONE KNOWS, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO RENT A CAR AFTER THE CRUISE . DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY CAR RENTALS AT OR NEAR THE PORT ? WE WERE WONDERING IF WE WOULD NEED TO GO BACK TO THE AIRPORT FOR A RENTAL OR IF THERE MIGHT BE A PLACE THAT WOULD RENT AT THE TERMINAL OR AT LEAST DELIVER A RENTAL TO THE PORT .....:confused: HOW DO MOST PASSENGERS GET FROM THE AIRPORTS TO THE CRUISE TERMINAL ? MY PARENTS ARE GOING WITH US AND ELDERLY AND NOT ABLE TO HANDLE THEIR LUGGAGE ALONE .

THANKS FOR ANY HELP .

QM2 will be docking in Brooklyn.

Car rental-lots of places to rent a car in Manhattan. All the majors have agencies. If you are going to spend a lot of time in Manhattan, cabs or car services are MUCH better options than renting a car. Parking can run up to $40.00 per day and most hotels charge for parking (usually about $25.00 per day). NYC car rentals are some of the highest priced in the US-overhead and taxes are outrageous and are reflected in the car rental prices.

If you are not going to be spending a lot of time in NYC and feel you need a car, Newark airport would be the place to rent. All the majors and a lot of little agencies have offices at the airport. The prices are better and you can always get a car on Priceline for a pretty reasonable price.

IF you are thinking that you would rather do a car rental from the Newark airport and need a car right after your cruise, I would take the Cunard transfer into the cruise terminal from the airport for everyone and then: Send most of your party in a taxi to the hotel ( I would assume NYC someplace) and only one person take the Cunard transfer to return to the airport to pick up the rental car. Or take a taxi to the hotel, enjoy NYC and then rent the car if you need it. Lots of ways to get back to the Newark airport-super shuttle, car service, PATH train-AirTrain (the cheapest and will drop you off at the airport).

I hope this made sense. I am just trying to save you some money and not have everyone go to New Jersey, just to turn around and go back to Manhattan.

Enjoy NY-its my favorite city in the whole world.

Thank you so much for all the info . I will call Cunard and check on their transfer for all of us . I will check on the car rental at the airport then . We have been to some cruise terminals that had rentals right there at the port and I have also heard of Enterprise having the car rental at the port with advance notice .

We have been to NYC many times but not in the last 20 years . We all love NYC also .I use to go every year for the Hair Show . We plan to rent the car to drive down to Washington DC . We have never been and we will be so close so we thought we would just take a few extra days to explore . We are from South Texas . We have our flights back booked out of Washington DC . I thought we could return the rental at that airport .

I have to plan out smooth travels with my parents because of their ages . They are not able to walk a long way through the terminals and carry luggage like my husband and I still can . We still love to travel with them though . We have all these great memories to hold us until the next trip .

Thanks again for your help GREATAM .:D

Since I now know more about your plans, I wouldn't rent a car until I was ready to go to Washington DC. Save the money and NOT be burdened trying to find parking OR driving in NYC. As you well know, transport IN NYC is readily available. Take the Cunard transfer TO the ship, hire a car service from pier to hotel and then car service or shuttle to Newark Airport for everyone to get rental car as you leave NYC and travel on to Washington, DC. If you hire a car service, you can have them drop you off at the rental car center, instead of the airport.

I know what you mean about elderly parents and traveling. The memories are absolutely priceless, but you really must think of ALL contingencies before you do something. If it were my parents, I would do what I have posted. Least amount of moving people from place to place AND at every place (hotel, pier) there will be plenty of help (porters, doormen, etc) to negotiate the luggage.

Enjoy your vacation.

PS-The Hay Adams Hotel, although somewhat more expensive than others, would be a great place for your stay for a night or two. You are directly across the street from the White House and very close to most of the attractions. The hotel has a tour, "Washington after dark" which is spectacular-limo, champagne picnic basket and driver who really knows his way around DC. You also must make advance reservations to go to the Washington monument. You need a ticket and there is a small charge. Do a google search-National Park service reservations.

Thanks Again So Much For The Excellent Advise . I Will Be Calling Cunard When It Is A Little Closer To Our Sailing For The Transfer . I Guess We Will Be Going To The New Red Hook Cruise Terminal In July . The New Terminal Will Be Nice I'm Sure .

Now All We Have To Do Is Wait For July .

Archived