Clean house before you leave?

flashdog_1

ohh how nice it is to come home to a lovely clean home, i am one of those cleaning fairys that come in while your on holiday. have just come home from my caribbean cruise, no cleaning fairy for me though, only the ones on the ship! but hey work hard and have fantastic holidays for your family.

My house has to be in perfect order before I leave for vacation, otherwise I will be distracted from my worrying about having everything we need packed and ready to go. I sound a bit crazy, but really, if my house isn't clean, then my mind doesn't seem to focus correctly.

I used to clean before studying in school... not sure what that compulsion could be classified as (part procrastination, part OCD?).

I always clean my house really well before we leave too.

Not just so it's nice when we come back , but mainly it just makes my vacation better ~ I can truly relax knowing that everything is done, the house is clean ~ no worries!

It would really bother me the 2 weeks we were gone to know that my house was messy ~ I would stress out about cleaning it and I want NO stress on vacation!!!

We left our two male teenagers home one year.. the roast was still in the refigerator, the salad spoiled and the house spotless... they had numerous parties I've been told. oh yes..the to of the washing machine was broken.. and the liquor had been watered down. They ordered pizzza

Sounds familiar. We arrived home last night and found the house spotless as well. But all the food was moulding in the fridge and there was an empty bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape on the counter, along with my best wine glasses!

• 2 weeks later...

I always clean before we go, except for our last cruise in March. We were leaving on Friday to visit family in Houston before boarding Voyager in Galveston on Sunday. DH decides that he wants to leave Thursday after the kids get out of school to get a head start on the long drive. Did a lot of rushing around, but we managed to leave on Thursday, but with a messy house.

Because we had to go back to school/work on Monday, it took me most of that week to get everything back in order. Not the best way to start the week!

• 1 month later...

Oh, I must have a clean house when I return from any stay away from home. To have had clean sheets, cleaned rooms, room service, and other such perks, then to arrive at home to a jumbled, trashed, smelly abode would just make me cry!!! I would lose that beautiful feeling I had been in on the ship, or land vacation. I keep my house clean, and start packing early, but even at that the last 2-3 days before leaving, I start throwing thing around,rearranging,ect... So needless to say I clean before I leave. Glad to be amoung the cleanies!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

You better believe I never would leave a dirty house.

That is why I am even more tired by the time I leave for vacations. Another reason why getting in the day before a cruise is so great..to rest.

I have always said that when it is my time to die I will clean house, go have my hair and nails done, go shopping so plenty of food in the house for DH and any people that will come in from out of town, drive to the mortuary, open the casket and climb in. I would have to have things in order.

I worked with a girl once that was so obsessed with cleaning she vacuumed herself out the door every morning at 6 am before going to work.

Laura

I do a little extra than normal picking up, but I don't go crazy. I do however give the cleaning lady extra money to do a really deep cleaning the day before we get home. I love coming home to a nice clean house after spending time in a nice clean stateroom! It really cuts down on the stress of coming home. The laundry is overwhelming enough, I can't imagine having to do the house as well.

Kim

• 4 months later...

Leaving the house clean is one of our rules before every trip....until our first cruise! That will NEVER happen again! I love to come back from a trip feeling happy and entering a welcoming home - not thinking "yuck, now I need to clean!"

On every trip we also consolidate all the luggage on the way back so we can put all the dirty clothes in 1 or 2 suitcases. They get wheeled directly into the laundry room. All other bags get unpacked and put up asap.

Looks like the cleaniks have united! LOL I was hysterical with the woman that vacuums herself out before she leaves for work. I used to be quite bad but never that bad. I had a friend that was so OCD that she vacuumed her walls and took her own sheets on the cruise. We used to tell her we'd bury her with her dustbuster. Sounds like Az Ocean Sky Breeze and her could really get along well. :) I, too, have to leave a perfect house for the burglers & can never leave for anywhere without everything in it's place.

Marianne

• 2 weeks later...
How's this for a downer? My ex not only insisted that the house be spotless, but the last thing he did was to put our wills out on a table "just in case". Talk about starting your trip on a cheerful note!!

No wonder he's an ex. :D

Too funny about the wills. Our son would appreciate that. He could get to the lawyer's office a full 2 minutes faster to claim his inheritance. The executor should know where the important papers are anyway, without putting them out on display so they can grab and run.

• 1 month later...

I always clean the house before we leave. I also cannot stand to come home to a dirty house. I change the sheets, do all the laundry, and empty the fridge.

I have someone take care of my pets while I am away, and I know that she appreciates my house being clean and not messy while she is there!

• 3 months later...

Sure I clean before I go. Like everyone else says it is nice to come home to a clean house. That said, I also hope the kids have kept it clean or at least done a mad rush clean just before I get home. Like I said, I hope and sometimes I get my hopes up too high. Oh well.

Archived