Question about canceling a cruise for which I've not yet paid a deposit

OnTheJourney

I booked a B2B for next fall. Paid a deposit on one of them, but my TA tells me that Royal has continued to delay posting our remaining FCC to the 2nd cruise. I assume the FCC credit - which is $500 - will satisfy the deposit owed. This has been going on for weeks. Not sure what the confusion is on their end, but in the meantime I've not paid a dime. It keeps getting pushed off. 

So my question is - what happens if I cancel the cruise? Do I still "owe" a deposit because the cruise has been officially booked? Granted I'll then lose the FCC. I'll go one step further - what happens if I cancel both of them? Do I only lose the deposit already paid on the first cruise or are there likely to be additional cancellation penalties, etc. plus the cost of the not-yet-paid-deposit on the 2nd? 

I sort of goofed in booking these in the first place. Got all excited about losing the FCC when my TA informed that it had to be applied to a booking that sails no later than next September - so then I came across two cruises that worked for a B2B - but in the meantime canceled a fly/drive trip (due to continuing covid issues) that I really had my heart set on to go out west early next month. I'd much rather re-book the fly/drive next fall and cancel the cruise. The cruises were expensive. Sort of ludicrous to "save" $500 by spending over 25 times as much on the price of the cruises. I could kick myself for jumping into this decision. Probably feeling cruise deprived at this point and so went after the first thing that looked appealing at the time. They ARE nice itineraries, but we already have cruises booked for April and May - that's more than enough to last me well more than another 6 months to a year! Plus, the one goes back to the same place we're scheduled for in May. 

So any thoughts on what I'll lose if I can both of them?  Covid is, of course, the random element in all of this. Can't even imagine re-booking the hotels out west and having to cancel yet a third time, but then never expected to cancel the 2nd time either. Life is crazy during this pandemic. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, ampurp85 said:

CWC should allow for you to cancel without penalties and then you can apply those FCCs to the  April and May cruises

85...thanks! I had not thought of the CWC policy.

I checked that out and found this:

• The Cruise with Confidence program covers bookings that are booked on or before October 31st, 2021, that set sail on or before April 30th, 2022. 

So, in my case, would it apply - being that the sail date is after end of April? Maybe it's one of those things that they will keep extending?  Have to check with my TA. I'm sort of thinking I could wind up losing $1k - the value of both deposits, even though I haven't paid for one yet. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Yes old policy was $100 fee plus rest of deposit transitioned into an FCC. Now with CWC they have waived that fee. So you will either get a $400 or a 500 FCC that can be applied to a future sailing. You are just waiting on the FCC to populate and it can be applied to any cruise within the expiration time frame, which could be a March cruise.

March cruise is already maxed out with other FCC (this has gotten really confusing with so many cancellations), so my best options are to either keep both, or else cancel one of them - apply the depost to the remaining one and have the FCC apply to that one as well. Not sure yet. I'm tempted to cancel the 2nd part of the B2B, keep the 1st, come home after the 9-day (first cruise) then get ready to fly out west about 2 weeks later. We don't usually travel that close together, but I'd really like to still do the fly/drive trip I just canceled (for the 2nd year in a row). This is craziness. 

Edited by OnTheJourney