When do we tip the Butler

Cruiser#5

I'm just looking for everyone's opinion.

When would you tip the Butler...

- Each time he provides a service

- Only at the end of the cruise

- or do you tip both times

Most people do one of two things:

Pre-tip the butler a smaller amount at the beginning of the cruise in expectations of great service; then tip the balance at the end.

Tip the butler at the end of the cruise (I think most pax do this.)

We were fortunate to have a butler on our last three cruises. First cruise I tipped the butler at the beginning, in the middle and at the end. Last two cruises I tipped at the end. We had great service on all three cruises.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

I received 2 envelopes on the last night of our Dawn cruise, one for the butler and the other for the concierge. I gave the butler hers in the morning when she served us our last breakfast and I gave the concierge his when we met at the VIP meeting place to disembark.

End of week. These folks are so professional and service oriented that a tip at the beginning won't improve service and can be awkward. A number of them actually refuse it (in a very nice way of course).

But in any event, not at each time a service is rendered.

Our last 2 cruises we would purchase pre-paid phone cards. upon arrival and meeting our butler and room stewards, we would give them the phone cards ($25 pre-paid) and told them to call home at the next port. They were always very moved and happy with this. Our Butler, Corina, just kept expressing how no one had ever been so thoughtful before. She provided us eith incredible service, as did everyone. Then, if they did something a bit extra, I would tip extra. Like one evening we asked Corina to serve us dinner on our balcony. She set it all up and served us a wonderful dinner one evening as we pulled out of Miami. I tipped her a little extra for that.

I received 2 envelopes on the last night of our Dawn cruise,

They provided you with envelopes? Were they placed in your stateroom with their purpose identified? I've never received envelopes, and usually use "gratuity authorization" forms, available at the Reception Desk for tipping the butler and concierge.

I'm just looking for everyone's opinion.

When would you tip the Butler...

- Each time he provides a service

- Only at the end of the cruise

- or do you tip both times

On our very FIRST cruise...our butler refused a tip at the end of the first day.

We tipped at the end of our cruise...

WE have since tipped only at the end of the cruise:)

I received 2 envelopes on the last night of our Dawn cruise, one for the butler and the other for the concierge. I gave the butler hers in the morning when she served us our last breakfast and I gave the concierge his when we met at the VIP meeting place to disembark.

Wow...we have NEVER received envelopes.

You can either use the stationery in your hotel book or, bring along your own thank-you notes..which we do!

Sorry, senior-moment! It was a letter in regards to the gratuitys. I brought the envelopes from home and wrote their names on each one. The letter was from Claudio (the concierge) and in part it says: For your convenience, a service charge (for the stateroom and Dinning Room Personnel) of $10PP/PD has been added to your onboard account. Similarly, for guests using Concierge and Butler services, we recommend they consider ofering a gratuity to commensurate with services rendered.

We wound up tipping at the end of the cruise. We did try to give an early extra tip Carmen (our butler on the Dawn 2/2/06) earlier on in the trip (we were receiving a lot of deliveries of gifts and messages) but she *firmly* informed me (before my coffee that morning :D ) that she wanted us to enjoy the cruise first.

She was fantastic - and always managed to get us howling with laughter!

Archived