ADA (handicap) cabins, 6020 and 602, modified?

janetcbl

Has anyone stayed in these cabins who didn’t need the ADA alterations?  We booked a cruise where these were the only available cabins left in our category and don’t need the alterations. Hopefully a different cabin will open up in this category, as I feel bad about taking this cabin when someone else might really need it. Has anyone booked this and asked for simple modifications? I.E. addition of a coffee table? I know most of the furniture is attached to the wall and can’t be moved. 

I got a good look at cabin 6021.  It was unoccupied, the crew was using it for storage.  They said it was seldom booked.  Unless you are good with a bathroom straight out of a nursing home, stick with a standard cabin.  The rest of the cabin was the same as a standard PS, but some furniture had been removed.

2 hours ago, MarkTapley said:

I believe the only two are 6020 and 6021. 

Correct. Viking was very upfront regarding this when we booked and sent a special confirmation page. We don’t need the handicap cabin,  and are hopeful of a cancellation in another cabin in our category before our sailing date.

• 2 months later...

For anyone wondering what the PS #6020 and #6021 ADA suites look like. These are from Orion.

There is a ramp (not shown) from the stateroom out to the balcony as well.

the bathroom has been doubled in size, reducing the actual usable stateroom size by half. there is no sofa, coffee table and 1/2 the amount of drawer space.

IMG_5717.jpeg

IMG_5716.jpeg

IMG_5715 2.jpeg

IMG_5713 2.jpeg

IMG_5714 2.jpeg

Edited by RICHARDandSTEFAN
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2021 at 3:27 PM, janetcbl said:

Has anyone stayed in these cabins who didn’t need the ADA alterations?  We booked a cruise where these were the only available cabins left in our category and don’t need the alterations. Hopefully a different cabin will open up in this category, as I feel bad about taking this cabin when someone else might really need it. Has anyone booked this and asked for simple modifications? I.E. addition of a coffee table? I know most of the furniture is attached to the wall and can’t be moved. 

Don't feel bad about booking the cabin as the last one left, If no mobility impaired person wanted it why shouldn't you have it, this wheelchair user appreciates your desire not to occupy a space I might need, but there is no need to feel guilty if that is where you ended up. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/10/2021 at 2:50 PM, RICHARDandSTEFAN said:

For anyone wondering what the PS #6020 and #6021 ADA suites look like. These are from Orion.

There is a ramp (not shown) from the stateroom out to the balcony as well.

the bathroom has been doubled in size, reducing the actual usable stateroom size by half. there is no sofa, coffee table and 1/2 the amount of drawer space.

IMG_5717.jpeg

IMG_5716.jpeg

IMG_5715 2.jpeg

IMG_5713 2.jpeg

IMG_5714 2.jpeg

I love the PV but would not want this one.  I would miss the sofa and coffee table by the windows/slider as well as the credenza with all the drawers and countertop space.  Looks like the closet has some drawers and shelves but it is alongside the bed and not in the hallway.  But i think what would really drive me nuts is no glass shower enclosure so water from the shower will go all over the bathroom floor.  

Now if you are a really big person, you might like the extra elbow room.  Or if you didn't spend anytime in your cabin or want room service then...

The set up looks great for someone who really needs it and kudos to Viking for such a nice arrangement.

15 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I love the PV but would not want this one.  I would miss the sofa and coffee table by the windows/slider as well as the credenza with all the drawers and countertop space.  Looks like the closet has some drawers and shelves but it is alongside the bed and not in the hallway.  But i think what would really drive me nuts is no glass shower enclosure so water from the shower will go all over the bathroom floor.  

Now if you are a really big person, you might like the extra elbow room.  Or if you didn't spend anytime in your cabin or want room service then...

The set up looks great for someone who really needs it and kudos to Viking for such a nice arrangement.

Luckily for us, another PS3 opened up and we switched. Besides not appreciating the floor plan for our use, I felt guilty taking it if someone who needed the ADA access really wanted it. Alls’s  well that ends well….except we are still waiting for Excursions to open for our departure (18 days late and counting….).

• Like 1