Classic Celebrity drink package vs. premium drink package.

Stockjock

32 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Here's a question.  If only one person upgraded a classic package to premium and wanted to game the system, could they order 2 premium drinks at once?

Not likely on Celebrity (or RCL).  Until they know you and know you have a package, they will only serve you one drink per card (and, even then, I believe the rule is only two drinks per person, no matter how many cards you bring).  They also may ask for a room number (or just get the room number instead of even asking for a card) to verify.

FYI, different lines have different rules but also different systems for packages.  For example, Carnival limits you to 15 drinks per day on a package, but they don't care how you go about ordering them.  You can order a drink for yourself and your 14 new best friends, if you like.

Personally, I prefer the Celebrity/RCL way of doing things.

• Like 1

For anyone interested, here's a breakdown showing wines offered in the classic package vs. the premium package.  It's 2 years old, but I believe that many or most of these wines are still offered.

I did a search (Vivino) on classic package wines vs. the premium offerings, and generally speaking, most of the premium wines seem to be much better.  

The GF and I do enjoy a respectable glass of wine with dinner.  Most of the classic wines are likely drinkable, but most classic wines seem better than merely drinkable.

Here's a link to that thread.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DCPIV said:

FYI, different lines have different rules but also different systems for packages.  For example, Carnival limits you to 15 drinks per day on a package, but they don't care how you go about ordering them.  You can order a drink for yourself and your 14 new best friends, if you like.

That's a hard no on your scenario on Carnival.  You can in fact order a drink for yourself and 14 of your new found best friends, but you will be charged for 14 drinks and only your drink goes against your Cheers account.  The only line that allows you to order two alcoholic drinks at a time with their drink package is NCL.  So if you're in Howl at the Moon and you want to get a shot and a beer, no problem.

Carnival, RCI, MSC and Celebrity all only allow 1 drink at a time.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

That's a hard no on your scenario on Carnival.  You can in fact order a drink for yourself and 14 of your new found best friends, but you will be charged for 14 drinks and only your drink goes against your Cheers account.  The only line that allows you to order two alcoholic drinks at a time with their drink package is NCL.  So if you're in Howl at the Moon and you want to get a shot and a beer, no problem.

FWIW, MSC will let you order 2 drinks at once, but then, both parties must purchase the same drink package.  I suppose you could be giving it to someone without a drink package, but I've never been told "no" when ordering 2 drinks on MSC.

As a side note, one negative about MSC in this regard is that if you order a drink that costs more than your drink package's per drink allowance, you must pay the full price of the drink.  I much prefer Celebrity's policy that simply allows you to pay the difference.

If you have a $9 per drink allowance on MSC and Celebrity and order a $15 drink, without taking gratuities into account, on Celebrity you'd pay $6 but on MSC you'd  pay $15.

Edited by Stockjock

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I've heard differently from a good number of others, but perhaps they made some friend$.

8 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I've heard differently from a good number of others, but perhaps they made some friend$.

Since January of 2013, I have cruised 14 times on Celebrity, Carnival, RCI, NCL and MSC.  Have had the drink package all 14 times, paying for it on Carnival and RCI and having it factored in as a package on the other three.