Norwegian Sun or Star? A Celebrity fan wants to know.

Southall

We are considering our first cruise on Norwegian. I admit we like Celebrity, but there isn't a Celebrity ship that meets our requirements for a May sailing to Alaska, so I have been looking at alternatives I have researched N. Sun and N. Star and know they were launched on the same day and are supposed to be sister ships. But the Star has a better Cruise Quick rating than the Sun and costs more for identical cabins and sail dates. Why would there be a difference? I did find one online site that showed the Star had a better Passenger/Staff ratio, which should indicate a higher level of service on the Star, if true.

Would some of you Norwegian experts help me decide which ship to choose?

Or would the Princess Star or Dawn be a better choice than Norwegian?

Also any advice or information about Alaska in May would also be appreciated.

Thanks

They are very similar ships with the Star having a couple more restaurants but basically both are fine. I say similar, not in layout necessarily as the Sun was purchased after it was in the process of being built. Whether you should take Princess or NCL is strictly a decision you will have to make. The big feature you will get on NCL and NO OTHER line is freestyle. Yes, personal choice is a form of freestyle but still does not offer as much flexibility. some say the food on Princess is better, other say they were disappointed. I love the Sun. NMNita

NCL has an excellant childrens program. From what I have heard it is far better than Celebrity's, but I have not personally been a part of it. I tried, cause I have the mentality of a kid sometimes, but I didn't fit the size requirement. lol

Food, I love to eat, loved the tapa bar, Le Bistro and the habachi table. The main dining rooms were fine as well, but not as good as the specialty ones. I wouldn't expect them to be. The weakest part was the buffet, but I am not sold on any cruise lines buffet. NMNita

DH and I just got back from the Sun. I agree with the above poster, that you will be disappointed going from Celebrity to NCL. I have sailed on RCCL two previous times and I was not as impressed with the cruise on the Sun. You will be highly disappointed with the food on NCL vs. Celebrity unless you are willing to pay to eat in all the specialty restaurants.

Also note on the Sun there is only one main pool area with four hot tubs.

DH and I just got back from the Sun. I agree with the above poster, that you will be disappointed going from Celebrity to NCL. I have sailed on RCCL two previous times and I was not as impressed with the cruise on the Sun. You will be highly disappointed with the food on NCL vs. Celebrity unless you are willing to pay to eat in all the specialty restaurants.

Also note on the Sun there is only one main pool area with four hot tubs.

Just curious: you have sailed twice before I take it, but not on Celebrity. It seems hard to understand how someone can make a judgement if they haven't tried it. I am not saying Celebrity wouldn't be a better choice, but I am having a problem with someone making a statement about something they haven't experienced. If the OP had asked about RCI versus NCL that would be a totally different story. NMNita

Archived