Hmm... Does RCCL Know Something We Don't??

jherrin3

I've been keeping up with the details of our Enchantment cruise in October, and I found something interesting on the RCCL website.

When you look at the port stops for Enchantment cruises from now through the end of June, they show Cozumel as a tendered stop. But all the cruises in July and later list Cozumel as a Docked stop.

Does RCCL know when the pier is to be completed, or have they just not updated any cruises after June??

Hmmm....

Choirguy

I wish the docks would be done in time for my March cruise. I hate to tender. Now out of our four stops Belize (Tendor) Costa Maya (Dock) Cozomel (Tendor) and Grand Cayman (Tendor) Three of these stops are tendor. It's such a hassle. Oh well I need to stop whinning it's better then being at work.

HI,

We just got back from Cozumel aboard the Enchantment of the Seas and what we saw was amazing. The docks have been destroyed, big chunks missing from them. When we tendered onshore there was a cement mixer and a group of men that formed a bucket brigade with 5 gallon buckets of cement. They passed them down and dumped them into the new patch int he pier. It's amazing they are doing it all by hand. We saw what we assumed was new construction, steel girder buildings, after talking to some natives it was really existing hotels that had the facade torn off of them. My husband and his friend walked closer and found that the first floor held all the sinks. the second the tubs, the third the mattresses, etc. They really need out tourist dollars to rebuild, buy they are doing a tremenous job. My heart really goes out to all who suffer at the had of Mother Nature.

Amy

Thanks Everyone!

I do hope they do get the pier done in time.

But most of all, my heart goes out to the residents of Cozumel. Living in Florida we've had a taste of some nasty hurricanes and know how devistating they can be.

Choirguy

It's true. When we were there in late January we saw lots of people hard at work all over the downtown area, but, it seemed all we saw were men working by hand. I don't believe we saw any machinery ... just men and wheelbarrows!

That is a lot of work and slow work!

Somebody yesterday posted an article that said that Cozumel was hoping to have the International Pier reopened in time for Freedom's arrival in June. So it looks like you will be docking.

The article actually said the Punta Lagosta pier which is the downtown pier. This is even better then the International pier.

I've been keeping up with the details of our Enchantment cruise in October, and I found something interesting on the RCCL website.

When you look at the port stops for Enchantment cruises from now through the end of June, they show Cozumel as a tendered stop. But all the cruises in July and later list Cozumel as a Docked stop.

Does RCCL know when the pier is to be completed, or have they just not updated any cruises after June??

Hmmm....

Choirguy

I saw this site a couple weeks ago and just now ran across it again. It gives an approximate timeline on the piers. It was put out about a month ago.http://www.wilmacozumel.com/cozumel_piers.htm

This is good news as we return to Cozumel in December. After watching the tender process in December '05, I hadn't planned on going ashore. As it was then I was glad I hadn't booked any shore excursions and decided to relax onboard the ship. Both the fumes from the local tenders and the rocking some of those tenders were doing would have made both of us sick and made for a miserable day. With the piers completed, we'll be more willing to go ashore and spend some time in Cozumel.

I was surprised to read at the bottom of the article that Carnival owes some $50 million in unpaid port charges yet they want modifications made to their pier to make it larger. Shame on such a large corportation for not paying their port fee's to a port that so desperately needs that money right now. It appears that their unpaid fee's alone would be enough to cover the cost of all the repairs that need to be made.

HI,

We just got back from Cozumel aboard the Enchantment of the Seas and what we saw was amazing. The docks have been destroyed, big chunks missing from them. When we tendered onshore there was a cement mixer and a group of men that formed a bucket brigade with 5 gallon buckets of cement. They passed them down and dumped them into the new patch int he pier. It's amazing they are doing it all by hand. We saw what we assumed was new construction, steel girder buildings, after talking to some natives it was really existing hotels that had the facade torn off of them. My husband and his friend walked closer and found that the first floor held all the sinks. the second the tubs, the third the mattresses, etc. They really need out tourist dollars to rebuild, buy they are doing a tremenous job. My heart really goes out to all who suffer at the had of

Mother Nature.Amy

Thats so funny...(ok,not funny)

We stayed at Playa Del Carmen in 95 back when they were just starting to grow...

We landed of course in Cancun,and had to take that long bus ride...

At that time it was just 1 lane each way,but was under construction..

It was a Wednesday afternoon...I saw 1 person the whole 40 mile trip...

He was hacking at this rock about three times his size,with a hammer of sorts...I asked the driver when the road would be completed.He said it was scheduled by next summer (this was October)...I said..."Buddy,I don't think that man will be done with that rock by next summer :eek:

Archived