confirming DIY at Greece ports on RCCL, Celebrity is OK?

elaine5

3 hours ago, elaine5 said:

I read that in Italy, one has to take a ship's tour to get off the boat. Can we DIY for Greece if we want? Esp. for RCCL or Celebrity cruiselines? 

We went to Greece in late July on NCL. We could DIY, but protocols change all the time. I’d check with the cruise lines directly. Greece is probably more liberal in their protocols because they’re desperate for tourist $$$

Greece has been no problem at all this week (October 10th 2021) We have gone ashore on our own in Rhodes and Piraeus and we could have gone ashore ourselves if we wanted in Crete and Santorini.  There was a temperature check at the port gate in Rhodes, but that is all the 'officialdom' we have encountered.

We are scheduled to be on a Bike/Cruise ship tour of 8 Greek islands next week on Crosi.  We will be biking independently on each island.  Check with your cruise line. It's certainly not a Greek government policy, but the cruise line may require it. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/13/2021 at 10:19 PM, MMsteffey said:

We are scheduled to be on a Bike/Cruise ship tour of 8 Greek islands next week on Crosi.  We will be biking independently on each island.  Check with your cruise line. It's certainly not a Greek government policy, but the cruise line may require it. 

Did you take your bicycles on a cruise ship with you?  Or did you rent a bike on each island?

After using the ferries to visit the Greek islands many years ago, I actually thought about using taking a bike with me, and biking each island at which the ferry stopped.  The reason for a bike is that many of the islands are too small to use a car (in 10-20 minutes you've cross the island), but they are just too big to walk. Having a bike, seeing the island in a day or so, would be a great way to travel.  (In the end, we ended up taking our bikes to Kauai, biking that island for a week, and it was great)

I am asking this here, because I've raised the possibility of taking a bicycle on a cruise ship, and was widely ridiculed, thus I was wondering if you've done it successfully.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 1:54 PM, pdmlynek said:

Did you take your bicycles on a cruise ship with you?  Or did you rent a bike on each island?

After using the ferries to visit the Greek islands many years ago, I actually thought about using taking a bike with me, and biking each island at which the ferry stopped.  The reason for a bike is that many of the islands are too small to use a car (in 10-20 minutes you've cross the island), but they are just too big to walk. Having a bike, seeing the island in a day or so, would be a great way to travel.  (In the end, we ended up taking our bikes to Kauai, biking that island for a week, and it was great)

I am asking this here, because I've raised the possibility of taking a bicycle on a cruise ship, and was widely ridiculed, thus I was wondering if you've done it successfully.

To address the bike question, Santana Adventures chartered the entire ship for 200 cyclists.   All bikes were personally owned or rented for the trip.  50-75 tandems and the rest singles.  The entire top deck was rigged to secure our bikes every night.  We visited 8 islands and biked on all but one. As an aside Santana Adventures is a terribly disorganized outfitter and I do not recommend them for anyone. 

Bikes in port - I'm obviously biased - I  would take a bike on a standard cruise, unfortunately bikes are usually specifically prohibited.  I have seen a few fold up bikes that come in a case that looks like a typical suitcase that may be allowed but have not tried that.  Otherwise look for bike rentals in port, they are frequently available. 

• Like 1