Dbletree Bisc Bay/Posters need Opinions pls!

legalwife

I see others are asking and now that we are booked as well, me too! Has anyone stayed recently?

I believe you cannot walk to the Bayside Shops. Am I correct? I am wondering if you can really see the port well. Someone said there is a deli or something inside for an inexpensive dinner pre-cruise?

Can anyone help me and my fellow posters?

Thanks!

Howard:

It would make sense if someone other than you had responded with something different than a link to tripadvisor. Don't misunderstand, we appreciate the well known link. However, there are 3 or 4 other posters that have asked the same question recently and not received a response or current info. other than your link that time to biddingfortravel, I believe it was. We are hoping someone is lurking out there and will let us know. The last post at tripadvisor was Jan 14, 2006 which is current, but reviewer said "disappointing". The others were Fall of 2005. I see good and bad reviews in past and am hoping someone recently has something positive to say rather than one recent experience. Sometimes stays just don't work out for some and work out well for others. It has certainly happened to me before when I have stayed at the same hotel on different occasions. One trip was great and the other not so great. I know rooms were remodeled at some point prior so we are curious.

Also, you can see my title to the post addresses the fact that we still need info rather than my posting at the end of the other posts to bump it up as you suggested. When I see an intro line that seems to be aggressively and needily seeking info. due to no helpful info yet, I am much more likely to read post and see what I can do to help.

There you have it in a nutshell. We all have our own ideas, thank goodness.

Thank you Legalwife!!! The lack of response has been disappointing. I'd been wondering myself about no one responding about this hotel as Trent is usually a person who has some valuable insight.

I had already read the "tripadvisor" reviews along with a few other sites trying to find info before I had posted my query. There just isn't much out there. I even called the Hhonors Diamond Services desk to try and get more info. I do feel reassured to know that the hotel is only a few floors of a residential building. It sounds pretty safe and it will be interesting at the least.

In the end, we will only be there for one night and honestly since we will be spending time at Bayside that evening, I've decided not to stress out about it anymore. I have more things to stress out about....LIKE PACKING :) !!!!!

For the future benefit of others, I will make sure I post a detailed review of the hotel after our cruise!!

Wow! 34 days and you are on your way! I still have - ahem - quite a few to wait.

Will be looking for your post. Thanks! Also, how are you getting to Bayside? Do you know if you walk or taxi or what? I haven't checked that out yet but since you said you are going, do tell what you know! :)

Thanks again. I can tell you if you don't know the taxi ride from MIA to the port last October was a piece of cake and a fast ride.

We stayed there twice but it was a year ago. Booked it on Priceline as a "downtown" hotel. It was a great place to stay with the one exception that you can't easily walk to Bayside. However, you can take the elevated people mover which last I heard was still free. It is a minor inconvenience.

Yes there is a deli as well as other resturants.

Hope you had as nice a stay as we did.

Legalwife- We are flying into FLL. I am having a limo pick us up at the airport and take us to Doubletree. I have read on these boards that it isn't a good idea to take the people mover at night so we will probably take a taxi to Bayside for a late dinner. I'll let you know.

Post cruise, our flight leaves late out of FLL so we are going to rent a car through Avis at the port and check out the sites!!

33 days til we cruise......sounds like a lifetime!!!!! LOL!!

One more thing:

If you have time or desire when in FLL, check out the Jungle Queen Boat cruise. We did it in January. It cruises down the waterway and you see many beautiful homes. We did just the afternoon cruise and not the dinner cruise. Narrated tour. Fun to see some of the "vacation homes" people have. Geezzz. They have a website you can look out.

Legalwife- Yes it is a surprise for my family. ;) They (including my DH) have NO idea and it has been difficult keeping it a secret!! I handle all the vacation planning so that helps.

My family is under the impression that we are going to Miami for four days then going to stay in a condo in Fort Lauderdale for 4 more days. My plan is to inform them after we get off the airplane by having the limo driver waiting with a sign that welcomes us for our "cruise vacation". Then I'll come clean with the real scoop. :D

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions to answer during our ride to the hotel and most likely through dinner as well, but the smiles on their faces will be well worth it!!! :) :) :)

lvssushi, is there a particular reason you picked the Doubletree Biscayne Bay? The one in South Beach is so much nicer and not really that much further away from the Port of Miami.

The Doubletree Surfcomber is a really cool hotel, here's a picture;

15996_4_b.jpg

It is also the host hotel for the MTV Video Music Awards which would probably thrill your kids. Here is a pic of the pool:

15996_3_b.jpg

It is just a really great hotel and is in all probability more of a resort.

I only picked Doubletree Biscayne because it was close to the port. We don't arrive until 7:00 pm on the 24th. I figured we would get a late dinner at Bayside and head back to the hotel for the night.

Your right about the Doubletree Surfcomber being more "cool" in my teenager's eyes!! If MTV was there then it must be "tight". :)

Actually, I had not really looked at the Surfcomber because it is almost 5 miles away from the port, plus I had found most downtown hotels sold out for that time period (i.e. Intercontinental, Hyatt) so I was happy to get the Doubletree.

Sushi! (yes I shortened for a nickname)

Sorry for the delay in responding - been so busy!

You must buy me a ticket and let me witness. HAHAHA I would love to see your family's faces. What a wonderful idea and I have no IDEA how you are keeping it a surprise so well. I would be about to burst. I am excited for you!

I can't wait to hear how it all goes. You must tell us when you return and for heaven's sake, don't blow the surprise now. I do need to know, now that I am "involved" :) what ages of kids if kids involved (you said family). I have to get this whole picture in my mind.

Do tell!

I can't wait to hear how it all goes. You must tell us when you return and for heaven's sake, don't blow the surprise now. I do need to know, now that I am "involved" :) what ages of kids if kids involved (you said family). I have to get this whole picture in my mind.

Do tell!

Legalwife-This has been very difficult to keep a secret. I've almost brokedown a couple of times!! I do have great co-workers who allow me to "gush" about the cruise with them!!

My kids are 16 and 13. They have been the most difficult to keep this from as they are so computer savvy. I even have to delete my cache and history everytime I get off the computer. (nosy children)

I've ran this through my minds a million times imagining how it will happen.....

We get off the plane, get our luggage and head out of the security gate to "get our car rental". As we walk out I notice a man holding a sign welcoming the "Jones" family to their "cruise vacation". I jokingly comment..."hey, look there's our chauffeur". Knowing my DS and DD, their naive eyes will go wide with hope that it's true. My DH will roll his eyes and say something like "Ha Ha, now hurry up so we can get to the car rental counter." I then smile and say "no, really....there's our chauffeur." I whip out copies of our itinerary and descriptions of the ship. My children will start whooping with joy and saying "we're going on a croooooooze..we're going on a crooooooooze" My DH will sweep me into his arms, looking deeply onto my eyes and kiss me passionately.... whoops, sorry got a little carried away there :D. My husband will look at me with disbelief, (mostly because as much of a talker as I am, I managed to keep him completely in the dark). We'll have a family hug and head off to our limo and cruise vacation with me laughingly answering 101 questions for my family....and we'll cruise happily ever after........:) :) :)

Would it not be better if you two just exchanged E mail addresses as I thought this thread was started to find out more about the Doubletree Grand. Please I do not want to steal your thunder but please get things into perspective.

Sorry you are so put out Broch. Perhaps you are new and didn't realize, many posts verge off of what the OP had first posted. Nothing wrong with that. You can simply stop reading. :):)

In reference to the Doubletree Biscayne, if you are interested in a review, I had stated in an earlier post that I will leave a detailed review after my stay. Maybe you missed that.

Have a good day. ;)

Perhaps you are new and didn't realize, many posts verge off of what the OP had first posted. Nothing wrong with that. You can simply stop reading.

That may be the case on other forums such as Roll Calls, Cruise Lines A-Z, and Floataway Lounge but if you read the majority of the posts on this thread (Hotels - Pre & Post Cruise) they tend to stick with topic the OP has posted. I agree with Broch.

. ;)

Sorry you are so put out Broch. Perhaps you are new and didn't realize, many posts verge off of what the OP had first posted. Nothing wrong with that. You can simply stop reading. :):)

In reference to the Doubletree Biscayne, if you are interested in a review, I had stated in an earlier post that I will leave a detailed review after my stay. Maybe you missed that.

Have a good day. ;)

No offence but its not a case of me being put out, and I would stop reading the thread if I knew it was someones personal conversatiion going on, but I am not to know that until I click on the reply hoping for more information, only to see two people just corresponding. Your offer of a review is most generous of which I am grateful to you for offering it. I was merely pointing out that if two people want to carry on something of a personal nature to its conclusion this is perhaps not the thread to do it on. Also I am not too new that I cannot see that most posters on this forum stick to the point. Thanks Bequia

Oh my gosh.... Let's see.

In keeping with the topic, Doubletree does have a good view of the port. I will post when I return as well.

The Doubletree Hotel in question is located in Miami and sushi I don't like to give out my e-mail address on this board as it leads to unwanted contacts.

Doubletree does accept Hilton Honors points and sushi, do you have a suggestion as to how we might continue this conversation via e-mail so as not to rattle anyone else?

This hotel does have a good view of the port and sushi I look foward to hearing from you.

Legalwife and Sushi,

I'm enjoying the 'great surprise.' Can't wait to find out how it unfolds.

Perhaps its a little off topic, but, its great to hear of such fun things on CC boards. Have wonderful cruises, and pre cruise stays in MIA. Irene

PS My family will be cruising out of FLL in 50 days, but who's counting!!!

Thanks for posting, Irene.

I am excited for her too. (obviously)

I really really want to say "Good night, Irene" but you have heard that a million times, huh?

We shall live the adventure. She must be a really good secret keeper. I am pretty good, but living with the family and such a surprise? I can't honestly say I would make it till the end but I sure hope she does.

To everyone-I repeat that I am sorry if anyone has been put out by the OT posts. Although really, I don't see the harm as it is only a couple of posts on this thread which has now and will have after reviews are posted, some very useful information on this hotel. In fact, there will be more information then I was able to find on this Doubletree anywhere else on this board. :)

Legalwife- I am using points for this stay. It's 25,000 points per night. I was originally planning to have a paid stay, but rates were consistently over $300.00 per night for the spring season so it seemed a good utilization of points. ;)

To those that want to read only about the Doubletree...read no further......

Legalwife and Irene- Thanks for your kind words. I'm hoping I manage to keep it going!!! I will post after my return on how successful I was! If either of you are interested in emailing me I have a "spam" box at esqdove at yahoo dot com. I don't check it often but will make sure to do so in the next week or so. :D :D

lvsshushi

Really hope you have a wonderful cruise and will lookforward to your review when you get back. Please don't think I was meaning any offence. I was dissapointed at the lack of response to all threads about the Double tree and was merely offering some input into an alternative way of continuing your discussions off thread because if people see that the thread is now ?closed they may not post. Sorry if I offended either of you and lvsshusi I hope your family loves your surprise

Archived