From Ship (Whittier) to Anch. Airport - flight @ 5pm... what to do?

lpowmacback

We'll be debarking from the Coral in Whittier in the morning and have a flight out of Anchorage @ 5pm... obviously we don't have oodles of time to spend, but if it's only about a 1 1/2 hour trip from the port to the airport, other than Princess's transfer (which we have booked, but can cancel), what other options do we have that might take us on a more scenic - nature - wildlife viewing route - with some stops, perhaps?

Thanks all!

There is only one route between Whittier and Anchorage and that's the Seward Highway. Always tell people not too easy to get lost out of Anchorage because there is only one road going north and one road going south. Sort of like that since basically we're 3 sides mountain and 1 side water.

If you'd get to town and rent a car there's a lot of things you could do in during the 1 day. Here's the link to our visitor's bureau http://www.anchorage.net

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thanks AKSusan.... but we don't want to deal with renting a car for only a few hours. I'm interested in finding out if there are any outfits that can/will transport us from the pier to the airport in an interesting way - stopping at certain places, just to take up a little more time than a straight trip from point a to point b...

Thanks!

We used Alaskan Leopard Comedy Tours to get from Anchorage to Whittier last summer and I have seen others post that they also do the reverse into Anchorage if you need it.

It was a good ride, with plush mini-bus seating and a comedy "hostess" that gave a pretty good routine to make the trip enjoyable. They stopped at the Glacier Visitor Center and The Animal Park, plus a glacier view and salmon run that was quite enjoyable, but seasonal I suppose.

All in all, a good ride for the cost which was less than a bus transfer from Princess. Their website, http://www.alaskanleopard.com/Tours/index.htm, should answer many of your questions, and they were very helpful on the phone when I called for our trip. They picked us up at our B & B so I would guess that an airport drop-off could be done if you want.

Anyway - they are not paying me to say this either - I would recommend them without hesitation!

Sue

Limousine of Alaska offers some tours along with their transfers to/from Whittier and the airport. We have not used their services yet, but plan to for this summer. You can either choose a private limo tour or, for less $, they have a tour bus. You can check them out at limousineofalaska.com. There are a few other limo companies offering similar services, Aurora Limousines and Alaskan Splendor are a some others we considered...

Archived