MSC photo packages?

thesnoopster2

I have an upcoming Cruise on the MSC Meraviglia and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with a digital photo package since the relaunch.  I couldn't find any recent reviews but some of the old ones stated if you print them on board you get great quality but if you try and download them at home after the cruise they purposely downgrade the quality.  

The two things I'm curious about is: if you get the package how many pictures do you end up getting?  I don't want to pay $150 and end up with 10 pictures or less.  I want a lot of pictures.  

Secondly is, how is the quality when you get off the boat and go home and have them printed at Walgreens or something.

Hi, the digital images are not "downgraded"...seems some folks do not understand printer settings and processes.

The prints onboard are made using optimized settings with quality printers, paper, and inks.

Ordering prints at home via the web or local store, you need to understand their specific process and make setting & changes to get best results...Walgreens and others are not know to be high quality.

We buy some pics and ask others to take pics (with our phones or cameras) during meals, activities, while ship's photo pros are taking our pic on stairs, etc.

We get great pro shots and lots of snapshots.

Enjoy your cruise!

PS previously lived in Hillsboro...sure miss the area!

We got the digital packages. We have 44 photos, which sounds to me about right for what I remember them taking.  I think you basically get everything the photographers deemed fit to upload.

I haven't printed any yet - but they look good on my PC.

The sizes are around 1 - 1.5MB and 2500X3500px - You're not going to make movie posters, but  4X6, 5X7 should look nice.

Edited by MonsterJoe

4 hours ago, NMsunset said:

Hi, the digital images are not "downgraded"...seems some folks do not understand printer settings and processes.

The prints onboard are made using optimized settings with quality printers, paper, and inks.

Ordering prints at home via the web or local store, you need to understand their specific process and make setting & changes to get best results...Walgreens and others are not know to be high quality.

We buy some pics and ask others to take pics (with our phones or cameras) during meals, activities, while ship's photo pros are taking our pic on stairs, etc.

We get great pro shots and lots of snapshots.

Enjoy your cruise!

PS previously lived in Hillsboro...sure miss the area!

I moved from Hillsboro 3 or 4 years ago.  Went back and I can't tell you how much it has changed in such a short time period.  I barely recognize it.

4 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

We got the digital packages. We have 44 photos, which sounds to me about right for what I remember them taking.  I think you basically get everything the photographers deemed fit to upload.

I haven't printed any yet - but they look good on my PC.

The sizes are around 1 - 1.5MB and 2500X3500px - You're not going to make movie posters, but  4X6, 5X7 should look nice.

Don't need poster sized, but looking for 8x10s and smaller.  Would love to do scrapbook of the cruise.  Plus its my gf's first flight and cruise and we are taking are 20 month old baby with us so these will also go in a baby scrapbook too.

This link is what has me worried.  Especially the comment "Resolution is ~1000x~2000px but jpeg compression is very high with visible compression artifacts on color gradient backgrounds."

I know this link is 3 years old and I'm sure things have been upgraded since then, just worried.

39 minutes ago, thesnoopster2 said:

Don't need poster sized, but looking for 8x10s and smaller.  Would love to do scrapbook of the cruise.  Plus its my gf's first flight and cruise and we are taking are 20 month old baby with us so these will also go in a baby scrapbook too.

This link is what has me worried.  Especially the comment "Resolution is ~1000x~2000px but jpeg compression is very high with visible compression artifacts on color gradient backgrounds."

I know this link is 3 years old and I'm sure things have been upgraded since then, just worried.

I don't know - they look pretty good to me. I'm a hobby photographer, but I focus on food and plating.  I think it depends on what your expectations are but I'd say they are print-worthy for a memento, not an art gallery.

Some of them vary in quality from photographer to photographer...but not too much. I've gone through most of them, and they are all 2500x3500 and range from 850KB to 1.8MB.  The largest files are the ones taken on the stairs and the lowest are those taken facing the Promenade exiting the stairs.

My wife plans to scrapbook them also, and she hasn't said anything negative.

Edited by MonsterJoe

Is the $150 All Digital package for whole cabin or each Adult in the cabin? When I was trying to buy, it showed option to buy for each Adult in the Cabin. I just bought for myself assuming it will work for all 4 (2 adults and 2 youth) in cabin? Am I correct or do I have to be in every picture they give :)?

Hi, We did the Meraviglia for New Years Eve 2019/2020.  We had a family of 6 in 2 rooms.  It is for a single cabin so we had 1 adult and 2 children in each room that way any photo with adults or the children included someone for the booked room. We received 538 digital images.  It was actually half that number of photos but each was with and without borders.  The images were great and you can print out as many as you want cheap from your local Costco or Walmart.